Author Topic: The dedicated server software compared to other games' and why it has to change  (Read 6383 times)

Devin

Yep, at least player hosted I can confirm that stuff is not synced, but I haven't tested on dedicated servers

sam223

I think they are,as when people hit the tires on emmen,the server lags
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

Devin

Even if they're not, that'd definitely mean that the server simulates those. As non-player hosted ones are not synced and no one cares there, I'd say those things should definitely be disabled altogether on the dedicated server for a huge performance boost

Purple44

I think they are,as when people hit the tires on emmen,the server lags

Ya got point there, the tires in the stadium derby use to cause a lot of lag online when players plowed through the tires. Bugbear did do something a few Builds back to lessen the lag cause.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Orbotnive T

12 players, luxury.. seroiusly tho not good

Please have a look at this BB

Edit: not sure what happened there, I replied to an age old post. Showed up as last post :)  More on current topic, I see tyres distributed on dedicated servers before I get there so I suppose that confirms that they keep track?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:46:01 AM by Orbotnive T »

Devin

More on current topic, I see tyres distributed on dedicated servers before I get there so I suppose that confirms that they keep track?
Your game still knows when another car crashed into them even when the other car is offscreen, so it doesn't necessarily have to be synced. Maybe a car just crashed through them on your side. You can find out if it's actually synced by having two people race on one server and one crashing weirdly into some dynamic objects. If they all break the same way on both screens, it's synced. I even had objects break for me but not for others because I barely touched those.

Of course, it could still mean that the dedicated server does in fact calculate dynamic objects which would cause unnecessary slowdown if it turns out that they're in fact not tracked.
That could also explain why sometimes our cars randomly take damage on straights online even though we never crashed into anything.

CFodder

Wouldan AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz be enough to run a 24 player server? Anyone tried with this?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:43:04 AM by CFodder »

sam223

Wouldan AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHzbe enough to run a 24 player server? Anyone triedwith this?
Give it a try and let us know :)

Im using a Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 @ 2.4ghz.It'll hold around 16
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

CFodder

Wouldan AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHz be enough to run a 24 player server? Anyone triedwith this?

Doing a direct comparison looks like your Xeon will waaaaaaaaay outperform the FX-6300 http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2418&cmp%5B%5D=1781

I know my Xeon L5420 @2.5GHz will run up to 16 people dedicated server okay so will see how the little AMD runs just as hostjust depends on how many people we can get on ... my PC has more/faster RAM and better graphics of course.

Devin

Wouldan AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5GHzbe enough to run a 24 player server? Anyone triedwith this?

Even only 12 people for me because I only have one core available that is used for more than just the Wreckfest server.

Single-core performance is what matters though, so when looking at benchmarks look at those to find out if a CPU delivers some Wreckfest performance

sam223

CFodder

We found a partner that will enable us to fully commit to Wreckfest all the way to its completion.
    We will be servicing the game with more frequent and rich monthly updates, starting in February.
    Wreckfest is our main focus, and we will increase our team size to speed up its development.
Given the above does this mean the dedicated server will be looked at to improve performance so we can host a 24 player server without requiring a Cray????? (please say yes, please say yes)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 05:23:06 AM by CFodder »

CFodder

Any answer to my question above?

PerroDeHierro

Thanks Devin for the post, very interesting.

We found a partner that will enable us to fully commit to Wreckfest all the way to its completion.
    We will be servicing the game with more frequent and rich monthly updates, starting in February.
    Wreckfest is our main focus, and we will increase our team size to speed up its development.
Given the above does this mean the dedicated server will be looked at to improve performance so we can host a 24 player server without requiring a Cray????? (please say yes, please say yes)

great news, I'm really happy for them and us and also interested in knowing if they are going to dedicate part of the resources in this.

Cheers for the extensive write-up, Devin, that was pretty much a perfect analysis of the networking solution we currently employ. So why did we choose this method? There are a some benefits to be had, for example it makes cheating almost impossible without access to the server, and in practice it would be straight-forward to sync the state of the car (damage) or even dynamic objects between the host and the clients. In reality, though, we're not doing it because of performance reasons.

Speaking about the performance, while there are some gains to be had from further optimization rewriting the whole networking code would be a considerable undertaking at this point, and like you guys are no doubt aware we already have our work cut out for us to complete Wreckfest, so at this point I wouldn't hold my breath for any major improvements on the situation.

And now with capital inflow is it possible?