Author Topic: Wreckfest Status Update  (Read 12409 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Dear Wreckers! It's been a while since our last update, and while we're still working on the next one we thought it would be a perfect time to look at the current status of the game and give you guys some idea on what we have in store for you. As you have no doubt noticed the development speed has picked up considerably this year and we've now reached the point at which we will start addressing features that are still missing or otherwise lacking in quality. In other words, it's time to put in all the stuff that will make Wreckfest a complete game!

TRACKS
We already have a pretty nice amount of tracks in the game, and with a couple of new ones in the pipeline the next major step is to bring what we already have to final level of polish. Mostly this means adding proper starting and pitting areas, crowds, a wider variety of props and other racing related set dressings, in other words all those details that will make the tracks seem like authentic racing environments. We've also been getting some feedback that the tracks are currently somewhat dull and don't offer nearly enough opportunities for crashes. We hear you, and we're going to add more props to enable that kind of gameplay, we just have to be super careful since we don't want the environments look like you'd be racing in a fantasy world. Oh and by the way, we're also looking to improve the visual quality of the environments even further and to that end we've already done some test with using photogrammetry-sourced assets. Boy, do they look great!

CARS
Yes, new cars! Everyone loves new cars, and we're going to deliver. In addition to completely new cars we're also expanding the vehicle pool by adding race-ready folk-racing versions of the existing cars that will look more rugged, offer better performance and generally just be badass. The new versions are not replacing the old ones; instead the idea is that the player will start with a cheap version of the car and obtain gradually better ones during the single-player career. We're also working to improve the visual details of the cars such as rust decals to make them look realistic. Speaking of cars, handling is also something that we're constantly evaluating but before making any drastic changes we need to be sure they are for the good of the game and something the majority of you folks would like. This is also something that you can help us by giving us feedback!

CAREER
We just mentioned career, didn't we? A proper career is something that many of you have been looking forward to, and it's not really surprising to us since for many players a proper career that will see you starting from the bottom and working your way up is the meat of the game. This considered we're happy to let you know that we're indeed working on one, and it will mostly follow the traditional format where you play through variety of cups, earning money and experience and gaining access to gradually higher level events and better cars. Our goal is to make the career a meaningful experience without too much micro-management that will hamper the core gameplay, meaning that we will be also reconsidering some of the features that are already implemented such as part repairing and crew management. If something doesn't make sense to us or fit the bill it will be cut or reworked, so now is a perfect time to voice your opinion – what do you like and what not? What would you like to see?

USER INTERFACE
You're probably already used to the temporary user interface that we've had right from the beginning, right? It's something we put together very quickly and it has served its purpose but we're actually now working on replacing it. The new one will be more modern, streamlined, and offer considerably better usability. We're looking forward to share some screenshots of the actual interface with you soon but to give you some idea of the new style here's a HUD concept (not final, mind you):

That pretty much covers it for now. We know that many of you would like to ask about a specific feature and yes, nothing is final yet and we will keep on improving all aspects of the game based on the feedback we receive. As you can see there's still work to be done but most of the legwork is now done so it's more or less a question of actually improving what we have and putting in what will eventually make Wreckfest a proper game. We're humbled by the fact that you've been sticking with us for this ride and we're very grateful for your on-going support. We're sure you'll love it when you will be able to finally see the game taking its final shape in front of your eyes. Most of us are on holiday right now, but we'll back in full force within a couple of weeks!
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

The Very End

Superb :) Quicky: Can we still use xref and use Stuntfest objects in Wreckfest? Ideally, maybe you could make them compatible so you do not have to load up different games = seamless experience and united community.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Not sure yet, we'll see :)
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

The Very End

Please do. Don't divide the allready divided community :) Just do a simple check: If server has any Stuntfest props - only players with WF + SF can join. Can be done like your mod check which is allready in game.

sam223

Interesting read,will there be cross platform compatibility since the console version doesn't need to be diluted?
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Gerty

AMD FX-8320 | 8gb RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX970 |  Windows 10 Pro x64 | Logitech G27

KingOfTheCakes

It's interesting  to see that the game is getting a lot of new content again, but I have one request for now:

Please can the far chase camera be fixed so it's not so centered to the screen please? I get the feeling it's never going to be changed if I don't say something.
I preferred it like this:

Another thing, I know you're still working to improve things, but I still think the damage needs the most tweaking mechanically. It's still not making reckless driving that encouraging, which is a worry. Build 6 was very good with damage dish-outs, I guess that's why I'm unsure about the current system. I liked the idea at first, but after trying out thoroughly I'm currently having doubts.

In terms of career elements, I like the direction you're heading. My only wish is to have the permanent damage to visually effect the cars until it's fixed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 07:50:12 PM by KingOfTheCakes »
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS

Hunter

What about more event types?

More derby arenas and related content?
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz
MSI x99A Raider
MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB Twin Frozr V
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence LPX 2400MHz
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Windows 10 64bit

TheEngiGuy

What about more event types?

More derby arenas and related content?

Yeah, would love to see Suicide Race, and if possible, trailer races and other modes. So much potential with NCG's engine.

Developing Suicide Race mode wouldn't be too long and difficult, I think. Half of the field racing forward, the other backwards.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:43:19 AM by TheEngiGuy »

BrianUK

Speaking of cars, handling is also something that we're constantly evaluating but before making any drastic changes we need to be sure they are for the good of the game and something the majority of you folks would like. This is also something that you can help us by giving us feedback!

Build. 6.

hande11

Cool to hear you in Bugbear are in work for real!  8)

TRACKS
We've also been getting some feedback that the tracks are currently somewhat dull and don't offer nearly enough opportunities for crashes. We hear you, and we're going to add more props to enable that kind of gameplay, we just have to be super careful since we don't want the environments look like you'd be racing in a fantasy world.

I would really consider possibility for concept of making race day and construction day versions of some of the selected tracks! = Everyone happy, game will not totally jump out of it's theme and great deal of development time saved for re-using already completed assets  :)

Handling is also something that we're constantly evaluating but before making any drastic changes we need to be sure they are for the good of the game and something the majority of you folks would like. This is also something that you can help us by giving us feedback!

This. I'd have opinion that the number of cars in this dev phase is not nearly as important than handling of the few existing cars there is now and that they are A+ in their current  state (also, for example implement optional mirror(s), clutch for current line-up?).  Also community has already created such a beauties for new cars already themselves and will do this in future too probably.

You could create few new specific question topics by Bugbear! Like Handling topic thread and give also "template" there how to preferably give feedback (ie. Handling feedback thread: give controller type, plusses and negatives on different surfaces and cars, your driving style, your driving aids and settings, suggestion for improvements etc), and isolate that area's current feedback neatly into one informative thread?

You could create also one such a separate discussion thread for Career and Repair (again, since time has passed). It could spark again quite a lot of forum debate, even heated one, but it could be still at the end for the best, for the final outcome when game finalizes.
There are also attempts to consolidate ideas and suggestions like Dwarf Vaders thread (just to name one, there are LOT of other threads). Anyway, great you guys are back to working with cool new things :)

i5 2500K, 8GB RAMDDR3 1600, Win7 64-bit
GTX 560 DCII TOP, 1GB GDDR5, Controller: keyboard (current generic powersliding biased test setup)
Elwood: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.. don't fail me now!"

ville672

Sounds amazing!
Specs: i7-4770, GTX 970, 12gb ram, win 10 Pro

MamieNova

Speaking of cars, handling is also something that we're constantly evaluating but before making any drastic changes we need to be sure they are for the good of the game and something the majority of you folks would like. This is also something that you can help us by giving us feedback!

Build. 6.

You know, I'd be curious to play the build 6 again. I'm really not sure I miss anything else than the slightly more powerful engines.
I tend to expect it to feel like going back to FO2 after hundreds of hours of WF : arcade handling (like the crew).

The current understeer feels like a tweaking problem like the mass transfer to the front taking too long to happen compared to build 6 where grip was simply a matter of "gas pedal down, does not turn / gas pedal up, turns perfectly".

----

Another needed tweak : wheels force feedback.
1/ faster speed should not lead to harder steering. Quite the opposite.
2/ weight factoring wayyyyy too much, the light cars have close to 0 feedback.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:03:33 PM by MamieNova »
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

Daystar

Thanks for the heads up on all this news Janne! really stoked to see what assets our tracks will accumulate. also very interested in how awesome the terrain graphics will be. Oh! and one last thing, please please look into why keyboard controls is a bit sketchy! meaning half the time when I corner my car, their will be a very strange understeer to oversteer effect that makes cornering very tricky! and mind you, I have tried with full assists on, but that did not help  ::)  or at least show me a screenshot of proven good keyboard settings that work wonderfully! Thanks Janne for hearing me out.

TheEngiGuy

Bugbear, you should definitely publish this news in the Steam community announcements too, so that newcomers and more Steam users can see this.