Author Topic: Wreckfest Status Update  (Read 12355 times)

RagingRoach67

CAREER
We just mentioned career, didn't we? A proper career is something that many of you have been looking forward to, and it's not really surprising to us since for many players a proper career that will see you starting from the bottom and working your way up is the meat of the game. This considered we're happy to let you know that we're indeed working on one, and it will mostly follow the traditional format where you play through variety of cups, earning money and experience and gaining access to gradually higher level events and better cars. Our goal is to make the career a meaningful experience without too much micro-management that will hamper the core gameplay, meaning that we will be also reconsidering some of the features that are already implemented such as part repairing and crew management. If something doesn't make sense to us or fit the bill it will be cut or reworked, so now is a perfect time to voice your opinion – what do you like and what not? What would you like to see?

I would be worried if the parts system gets cut. This blog post (http://www.wreckfestgame.com/upgrading-upgraded/) basically sold me on the game. Combining a parts system like that with a great racing game in the spirit of Flatout and Demolition Derby seems like a win-win to me! Plus, wasn't one of the backer rewards to have our name in the classifieds?

I feel like the game still has an identity crisis. Many fans want a Flatout sequel, but I think initially Bugbear was going for a more sim-cade game. Which is fine! But some of the comments here make it seem like they are back tracking from the initial vision and going for the safe bet. It's been a long haul, I just hope I like the destination.

Zebulon55

About that UI screenshot - was this screenie made on an online server?
I see Needles and Brian are driving cars, along with Andrei.  :-\

Or is the long ago mentioned system in place where AI take on the names and driving styles of members of the online community?  8)

I'm hoping for success for Bugbear in all their endeavors!

St. Jimmy

About the career:

You should maybe drop the crew system and just make it that you've certain amount of repair points between the races. In sprint races so there's only couple hours or less between the races, you've very few points and you can't even replace parts except tires. When there's more time between, you can do more.

Multiplayer shouldn't be tied to singleplayer. Make multiplayer have its own system that's only local to the race mode that the server can have. I've already suggested that a multiplayer mode, where server can set race weekend and you only have certain amount of money to build the car and the repairing is limited.

What happens in the field should affect how parts wear and there should be effect in the race instantly. Maybe parts that become broken/drop off should also lower your health?

About the UI:

Have some customization on it. Some people could like to race with very few things in it so toggle on/off on pretty much everything is welcome.
Race map is needed in the UI and it also should be previewed in the menu.

About damage:

I gave suggestion how the sector damage/health should be tuned on another topic. That way it's much more clear and it also works like before. There should be option for different difficulty levels so lower difficulty you don't die as easily and on higher difficulty you die faster.
Different difficulty levels read different damage_sectors.dmsd files.

Having modding option that difficulty can be set to read all kinds of different files would be very welcome! Though I'm not sure how the multiplayer currently checks if files are the same.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Zebulon55

Hmmm...
I bought the MasterBlaster level for $50 in November 2013 - so it appears that I will receive the Stuntfest game as well ... does this mean only the finished game, or will I get to participate in Stuntfest early access/play the early access versions too?

Paul_B

Well now at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The console thing does nothing for me nor does StuntFest, but I think it will be successful as they fit that market well. I just want to see a finished game, I would rather get all tracks an cars up to date then focus on newer projects. Assetto Corsa just made the jump to console they built a following on the PC, which would be a betting move for BB.
 Pre-orders sound a little desperate to me it's just 2nd phase of crowd funding.

Intel Xeon quad v3-1220@3.1ghz/ASUS Z97-A
Nvida GTX 960 2gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather/ T3PA /G27 Shift

Ruben Bugbear

Great new, seems like you're guys really gonna pick up the pace!

-I totally agree with more opportunyties to crash. I think of Flatout 1 with al the great construction stuff under the bridge, a sandpit jump, stuff like that, it makes it real fun to drive, and a bit more challeging.

-What about car-custimization/animation, is it only for different paints, or will we really see changing different parts, tires, buying other parts.
I think it would be really great to give a bit of tuning/pimping options, like some funny gadgets you can add to your car; 'Bugbear windshield gadgets' etc. That makes the car even more personal.
And what about an in-game paint-editor?

-How important is wrecking in Wreckfest, haha as the name says; very important. What about making some changes to the game so that wrecking is more promoted in drive-style, score-counter for different hits, wreckless driving points that give you NITRO? Yeah Nitro would be fun :)

Just some ideas, i typed a bit fast, srry for my bad englisch, i'm a Dutchman, and i need to get to work XD

See ya soon all, peace
Specs: AMD FX+ 8350, Sapphire R9 290, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, SSD 250GB

OutLoud

CAREER
We just mentioned career, didn't we? A proper career is something that many of you have been looking forward to, and it's not really surprising to us since for many players a proper career that will see you starting from the bottom and working your way up is the meat of the game. This considered we're happy to let you know that we're indeed working on one, and it will mostly follow the traditional format where you play through variety of cups, earning money and experience and gaining access to gradually higher level events and better cars. Our goal is to make the career a meaningful experience without too much micro-management that will hamper the core gameplay, meaning that we will be also reconsidering some of the features that are already implemented such as part repairing and crew management. If something doesn't make sense to us or fit the bill it will be cut or reworked, so now is a perfect time to voice your opinion – what do you like and what not? What would you like to see?

Thanks for asking for our opinion on the career mode, I feel obligated to answer.

- I don't want to click around in menus, I want to race. So I'm all for getting rid of crews and repairs. I also don't like the parts system, but you probably want to keep that  :D.

- When it comes to the parts system, one thing is very important: I want to drive the same car the AI is driving, always. Maybe a worse car, ok, but never a better car than any AI driver. Buying better parts and beating AI drivers because of that gives me no feeling of accomplishment.

- The AI is currently (although I haven't driven "Update 2016-07-29") many seconds slower than me on Tarmac 2... with the keyboard! Others will find them fast enough of course. The solution is obvious: the game must have a difficulty slider. A few difficulty levels are not enough (just see the outcry with the Codemasters F1 games), a slider is needed. An alien with a wheel must be able to have the same close races as a 10 year old kid with a broken keyboard.

- A difficulty slider can also be used (hidden) in the career leagues. I assume there will be a league system where you have to finish a season in the top 3 or something to progress to the next league. Of course the higher leagues should not only be faster cars but faster AI as well, otherwise there is no increasing challenge. So, if I start the career with difficulty 100, it would raise itself in the background by a few points with every higher league... simple :P.

- I'm not a fan of having to buy parts or cars with earned money. If I make it to a higher league, the car should be given to me. Many will not agree, but I personally really just want to race, not care about money or experience or parts or anything. If the money is too easy to earn it's pointless, if it's to difficult to earn it's a grind. I just don't see the point.

- Other than that... make it long enough. Very long, lots of seasons with lots of leagues with lots of races with lots of laps  :).

I'm sure many will disagree with my points, it's just my opinion.

TheEngiGuy

-snip-

In my opinion, a career mode without some management isn't really a good mode worth spending time into. If you just want to race, there will be Custom Events for that.
Take Assetto Corsa's career mode for example. It's nothing but a collection of random races. Really no point in playing that since the Custom Events mode is exactly the same.

Hopefully, the overhauled UI will make buying parts and repairing faster/more comfortable.

- Other than that... make it long enough. Very long, lots of seasons with lots of leagues with lots of races with lots of laps  :).

If I'm not wrong, what Bugbear intends to do is to have a never-ending career mode that generates random events.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 02:48:45 PM by TheEngiGuy »

hande11

- The AI is currently (although I haven't driven "Update 2016-07-29") many seconds slower than me on Tarmac 2... with the keyboard! Others will find them fast enough of course. The solution is obvious: the game must have a difficulty slider. A few difficulty levels are not enough (just see the outcry with the Codemasters F1 games), a slider is needed. An alien with a wheel must be able to have the same close races as a 10 year old kid with a broken keyboard.

- A difficulty slider can also be used (hidden) in the career leagues. I assume there will be a league system where you have to finish a season in the top 3 or something to progress to the next league. Of course the higher leagues should not only be faster cars but faster AI as well, otherwise there is no increasing challenge. So, if I start the career with difficulty 100, it would raise itself in the background by a few points with every higher league... simple :P.
I'd in general like this system as well.. at least for single play career :) For example when you're done with Easy difficulty setting and playing with higher leagues with better cars, you can  always also go back to good old lower leagues, back to racing with crappy cars.. now with higher difficulty. Winning good position in any league with Difficult setting could open new items, than when winning it first time with Easy setting perhaps? Then game would give additional rewards also for re-visiting lower leagues with more difficult settings and supporting constant re-playability of lower leagues then too.

Now.. i always forget, if MP/Online is going to have also (seamless?) Career (not just quick MP instant races) and how this would  work there. But anyway it would be make sense that all leagues / racing tiers are having lot of activity in MP/Online too.. not just one-sided tendency to pursuit and stay forever with only fastest cars / upper leagues only once you got there. One has just to be careful, not to divide online MP too much and not to lock more casual online gamers forever out of all cars and tracks in the end, because of the "too fierce" Online competition :) Maybe XP could play some role too, just hanging on in races, especially completing MP races, will give rewards / unlocks too :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 05:16:49 PM by hande11 »
i5 2500K, 8GB RAMDDR3 1600, Win7 64-bit
GTX 560 DCII TOP, 1GB GDDR5, Controller: keyboard (current generic powersliding biased test setup)
Elwood: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration.. don't fail me now!"

dbs213

(It's been awhile since I've been here...) Gotta be honest, I wish Jori was back to give us a little more insight. It's the reason why I haven't been here ever since the last time I posted.

The concept HUD looks good, maybe a more rough and rugged look (with bolder fonts perhaps?) would do but I still like it, grown bored over the one we have now. It's about time career mode has been addressed too and I'm eager enough to play with it as soon as it's implemented. Looking forward to the Folkrace variants as well, can't have too many cars either :))

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:22:20 PM by dbs213 »
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

FalconXY

On the list of thing to do with Wreckfest, I'm missing the "add more game modes" point.
At least my favorite points for turning cars please.

I wonder what this new sector damage/health layout on this screenshot is all about:

The HUD is looking good.
I think the current system is good but I don't need a health bar and not over the other cars too.
Intel i7-3770, 8GB RAM, ATI R9 390X 8GB, Win10 64bit, G27 wheel

St. Jimmy

I wonder what this new sector damage/health layout on this screenshot is all about:
Looks like more sectors, so maybe/hopefully they're adding even more!
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Purple44

The HUD is looking good.
I think the current system is good but I don't need a health bar and not over the other cars too.

I also would like turn off health bar under player name in settings menu. There an option to turn off player names in the settings, it be nice have a second setting to turn off heath bar under player names. I suggest this separate setting because online, I like having player names on, so I know I'm hitting the right car when I'm targeting the leader in an inner oval race.

Janne, looking at your HUD wip pic, got me worry. In my pic, the HUD showing on the upper left who in 1st and how far ahead leader is and then show who in front and who behind me and the distance. I like this very much and for me the distance to the leader is key info for me in some races and distance of player catching up with we me ( can I hang on for 1 more lap to the finish line before Hoppen passes?    ;D

I sure hope Bugbear not planning to change this part of the HUD!!  >:(

Now if you can make the letter stand out better, that be good. Sometimes the letters are unreadable depending on the sky background.

Here an extreme example:

Now.. i always forget, if MP/Online is going to have also (seamless?) Career (not just quick MP instant races) and how this would  work there. But anyway it would be make sense that all leagues / racing tiers are having lot of activity in MP/Online too.. not just one-sided tendency to pursuit and stay forever with only fastest cars / upper leagues only once you got there. One has just to be careful, not to divide online MP too much and not to lock more casual online gamers forever out of all cars and tracks in the end, because of the "too fierce" Online competition :) Maybe XP could play some role too, just hanging on in races, especially completing MP races, will give rewards / unlocks too :)

There no getting away from having career mode divide the online community some what. If we had a huge online community, it would not matter. But with small online community, career online would hurt it.

I've never been keen on doing career mode online. I'm more a hop in your car and go race online, kind of guy. Just swapping out parts depending on the track, tramac or dirt or finding the right combo with car parts that available online to all players to pick, is more than enough. Online need a fair race, where it your driving skill, not you having a lot better car than the other players, that wins the race. And you might need a little luck too, depending on the track, like figure 8 track.

I should not have to wait a month of online racing before I can unlock a car that can compete with the other players that are at higher experience level, like what happen in GRID 2.  >:(

I'm still hoping we will get a random car ( stock parts ), random track mode the game will pick, so we can race with other cars beside the Muscle 1 car which most players are using these days online. So we can race with some the other cars.  :D Also make these random cars showroom stock for everybody, so players that don't have the money, are not at a disadvantage racing against cars that have racing parts.

-What about car-custimization/animation, is it only for different paints, or will we really see changing different parts, tires, buying other parts.
I think it would be really great to give a bit of tuning/pimping options, like some funny gadgets you can add to your car; 'Bugbear windshield gadgets' etc. That makes the car even more personal.
And what about an in-game paint-editor?

I got all this money, it would be nice be able buy some customization parts for my car.  :) But doing the damage modeling might be a lot of work for a Dev right now, with Bugbear trying finish up Wreckfest by the end of the year.

But I sure hope a paint-editor make it into the final version.  :D :D :D :D

At the minimum, let me please change my car skin color.  :D

What about more event types?

More derby arenas and related content?

Yeah, would love to see Suicide Race, and if possible, trailer races and other modes. So much potential with NCG's engine.

Developing Suicide Race mode wouldn't be too long and difficulty, I think. Half of the field racing forward, the other backwards.

And would be nice if Bugbear could add a Cops and Robbers mode for online. Since AI do not see objects, AI not smart enough to play Cops and Robbers. You can play Cops and Robbers on the stock tracks if players want too. We just give the red team ( robbers ) a 10 second head start. Want to turn Oval 1 or the Inner Oval tracks into carnage? Do a Cops and Robbers event.

Also thanks to the modding support, we can make our own Cops and Robbers maps to use online.  :D :D

Cops and Robbers mod online Saturday, Aug 27.

But unfortunately in Saturday Cops and Robbers event, the current Build of Wreckfest broke the timer in the tweaked teamdeathmatch.gmpl file we used, so we can have teams, Blue ( cops ) and red ( robbers ) but the respwaning of cars in team deathmatch has been disable in our tweaked file. But the timer did still work back in Feb at the last Cops and Robbers event.

It seem having Last Man Standing option checked, kill the timer now. :(

Janne, if Bugbear not going release a Cops and Robbers mode, could you guys send me a tweaked teamdeathmatch.gmpl file where the timer works again, please? Saturday I had to be the time keeper and run a timer program on my second monitor and tell the guys when time was up using the text chat window.

Also again online playing Cops and Robbers we were in need of 10 second delay before using the reset option. There were too many places in the Cops and Robbers Arena for the cops and the robbers to get stuck, especially if your car been resized!  :D

I request again that we get a reset option for online, that has a 5 second delay for racing and a 10 second delay for the derbys if host want to use it, please.  :)  Do I have get my hamster pic out??  :P

Superb :) Quicky: Can we still use xref and use Stuntfest objects in Wreckfest? Ideally, maybe you could make them compatible so you do not have to load up different games = seamless experience and united community.

I second this Janne, please let the Stuntfest objects be useable in our custom tracks for Wreckfest!!!   Now you force me to get the hamster out!!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:08:42 PM by Purple44 »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Tonza

No no not the hamster!  :o

Needles Kane

Wohoo, I'm in game! So is BrianUK too. So, does this mean I will get royalties for being such a important part of game?

Is it part of earlier discussed system where offline opponents are named after real players, or did you just handpicked best individuals on the planet?

If latter, before public build goes live you probably want change Needles Kane to Jorma Rysky. I have nothing against using that name in game, but Sony may have different opinion.