Author Topic: Wreckfest Status Update  (Read 9707 times)

Purple44

Will video graphics on PS4 Pro be better than on PC?

That possible? To have better graphics on a console than a high end PC?

Graphics have gotten much better on consoles. But there consoles that can do 60 FPS at a high resolution with graphics settings set to Ultra?
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

MamieNova

Unlikely, according to the specs, it will sport a graphics card with almost as much computing power as a GTX980, but twice the VRAM (8GB).
the GTX1080 (and the AMD equivalent to that) owners should easily have the better quality.

Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

sam223

That possible? To have better graphics on a console than a high end PC?

Graphics have gotten much better on consoles. But there consoles that can do 60 FPS at a high resolution with graphics settings set to Ultra?
Im expecting medium to high settings with a reduced amount of cars on track. I wonder if BB are gonna pay out for some official servers, can just imagine the lagfest if people are trying to host from their wireless consoles
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Devin

Im expecting medium to high settings with a reduced amount of cars on track. I wonder if BB are gonna pay out for some official servers, can just imagine the lagfest if people are trying to host from their wireless consoles
That's only going to happen if they write some proper server software. The current dedicated server is so bad that I as a dev wouldn't even think about hosting an official server because it'd be too much work.
Also, as far as I know, as a PS4/XBone dev you have to agree to use some sort of lobby system which relies on an official matchmaker by the console manufacturer or something, which is the reason why many games will never come out for consoles. Means, no servers at all. Console peasants are used to input lag of doom, so they won't even notice the lag online.

To the question if console graphics will be higher than PC: This will NEVER ever happen. Simply because on console, graphics is locked, while on PC it's fully customisable and you can set it to the highest settings the devs implement. This basically means, either they lock it to a level for consoles and PC or, which is more likely, the PC gets the full ultra violence package that even most modern GPUs can't handle, just because it can and because the PC can be upgraded later on. Means they won't have to re-release the same game 5 times in just 3 years just to update the graphics on PC. Release it once and maybe give it a slight graphics overhaul 20 years later. That's how PC works.

Well, this might happen if the devs get paid a ton of money from console manufacturers to artificially limit graphics, but that'd only end in a shitstorm, a loss of sales and mods to fix the graphics again, like most Ubisoft titles. In the end, PC will ALWAYS have better graphics because it is open, so even if a game lacks good looks, some modders will always patch it in. Even old games like Midtown Madness 2 are still being unofficially updated to make them look better

Frisker

Did you seriously just ask that?

No I don't mean to be rude, but still... Anyway, the PS4 graphics will most likely look pretty good. Have to wait for BB to give something of the different versions of it though.

Edit. And next time I make sure that I will refresh the topic after clicking it on it "show unread posts"

I thought I was the first one to reply him lol.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:30:30 AM by Frisker »

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

presuming ed

If you're changing the UI, it's time for VR.

One of the problems you have with this game is it has already achieved - what maybe 70% or more of its income and it hasn't been released yet.

You need to appeal to a new group of users.

People with VR headsets would flood to this game, and you'd pull in a new audience.

You're already DX11 I think so - well you're in the best place you could be to implement it.

Go VR.

St. Jimmy

If you're changing the UI, it's time for VR.

One of the problems you have with this game is it has already achieved - what maybe 70% or more of its income and it hasn't been released yet.

You need to appeal to a new group of users.

People with VR headsets would flood to this game, and you'd pull in a new audience.

You're already DX11 I think so - well you're in the best place you could be to implement it.

Go VR.

I agree. Every car game should've free head movement at least. That's basically what VR is + 3D view.

Playing game like Arma when you're able to move your head freely is very cool. Then there are people with eye and headtracking who would really appreciate that because they can take full advantage of free head movement.

Deforming is likely a thing why this can be harder to do right in WreckFest. So I can understand if it's hard for BB to do.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

TheEngiGuy

I would love to see VR in the game too, but they should first and foremost finish the game. Make VR support as a post-launch update.

presuming ed

Would be interesting to know if the developers have an opinion.

Or whether they've looked into it at all, had any kind of test with VR.

Purple44

Would be nice see the Devs active in the forum again. They were active before they went on vaction and was helping us out with the modding.  :D

I'm pretty sure most back Bugbear Devs are back in the studio now. Most have logged into the Bugbear forum this month, but not a peep out of them yet this month.  :(

Please Bugbear, interact with your community, give us a bone to chew on once in awhile!

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Daystar

Would be nice see the Devs active in the forum again. They were active before they went on vaction and was helping us out with the modding.  :D

I'm pretty sure most back Bugbear Devs are back in the studio now. Most have logged into the Bugbear forum this month, but not a peep out of them yet this month.  :(

Please Bugbear, interact with your community, give us a bone to chew on once in awhile!

Also I hope they come back to answer some issues. such as the broken keyboard play. wish they hadn't dicked with the keyboard play settings (again). they were like perfect a build or two back.  :-\

noID3A

Is there anybody but me who is into that crew mechanics? I dont say that it is perfect at the moment but I like the idea and the possibilities in it. I see it as great way to tweak your car so it fits your preferred handling and driving style. In weekend tournaments that gives reason to think how you drive. When you have limited repair resources you dont want to go banging your car to scrap yard at the first start.

I see that a way to compensate lack of driving skills with tinkering with your car and making proper tactics. And just enjoying racing with a car that is "unique" and made to your standards by you.

Big Ron

Hey Bugbear,
I played the game at the current stage after several month and like the direction the game is going. I see that it´s still heavy under development. But it´s now at a level where I can see where it´s going to.

To not spend too much time with the whole bunch of positive things (which are a lot) and get to the point quicker, here my notes for the development:

1) the prices for the car parts are a bit too low IMO. It needs too little effort to get most of the good parts for a car.

2) I don´t get the relation between repair points and part prices -> because I earn just little repair points but good money, I often just replace car parts with new ones instead of repairing them -> does that make sense in your system? The idea of a crew and mechanics is pretty cool (especially for championships and cups). But the crew skills should be related to experience levels (like in Dirt Rally) and not to collected repair points.

3) I am playing with Steam Controller and from time to time with G25-wheel. And while I like the driving model with both devices (all without aids), I find the level of simulation for this type of game a bit too much. It feels great when driving without aids and how the cars act, but in races the relation between fighting your car and fighting the opponents is too much in direction of the first one IMO. Braking is hard since I can´t hear or feel locking wheels. At higher speeds heavy oversteering is nearly impossible to recover with muscle cars. But well, I could still activate aids. But not sure how much that influences the experience to the worse (too slow opponents).

4) The sound ingame and in replays needs heavy work, especially engine sound. Ingame, the playing of engine sound-samples are not great, especially the relation to RPM and acceleration. It is a handful to feel and control the car when the engine sounds don´t fit what I am doing (accelerating or shifting). And in replays, the opponent engines are too quite and the player engine is just stuttering all around.

5) Jump collision is still off since month. In a lot of situations, opponents stuck to the ground and are rocket launched into the air because the chassis jams the ground. I can feel that at my car often, too. But didn´t had the same situation like the opponents.

6) Damage model is better than in the past, but hoods and trunk covers often bend with the chassis as if they are not seperated parts, but welded 3d models. That does look strange and not how I expect those parts to damage. Also, the trunk and hood-physics are annyoing IMO since they are very repetitive and not quite comprehensible. They are not related to car speed.

7) Would be great if UI can be independend from display resolution. ATM the higher the resolution the more tiny the UI-fonts and buttons. That makes it hard to see buttons on TV at 1080p.

8) I still miss puddles at the track side like in Flatout 1. Please, add them to the track with physics to influence driving. Also, make tree trunk stacks possible.

9) Where are game modes for collecting points when crashing?

Otherwise, great progress. Well done.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:30:37 PM by Big Ron »
CPU: Intel i7-3770 @ 3,4Ghz + Scythe Ninja 3-cooler, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600 Mhz , GPU: Gainward GTX670, HDD: Samsung 830 Series SSD 128GB, WD 1.0TB, Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, PS: BE Quiet BQT 550W, OS: Windows 7 64-bit, LCD: Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" FullHD, Wheel: Log. G25