Gamepad
80 (43.2%)
Keyboard
49 (26.5%)
Wheel
56 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 185

Voting closed: October 02, 2013, 10:51:29 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Gamepad, keyboard or a wheel?  (Read 33406 times)

Cornkid

I voted gamepad, Logitech rumble 2 to be precise.

Wheels need to be supported from start even though I dont own one.

One of the things that really annoys me in some games is that if you dont use a 360 pad, you cant rebind keys without using  third party software (ie "joy2key" or similar)

Even as a joypad only user, I would prefer to see game come later with wheel support, as no point in winding up some elements of the community from day 1.

Usmovers_02

I'd love to see NCG support the feedback in the triggers that the X1 controller has.

Heddly

One of the things that really annoys me in some games is that if you dont use a 360 pad, you cant rebind keys without using  third party software (ie "joy2key" or similar)

Even as a joypad only user, I would prefer to see game come later with wheel support, as no point in winding up some elements of the community from day 1.

Thanks for the wheel support Cornkid. I have not purchased the new Ridge Runner game or other driving games because of nonsupport in the games. I tried the demo with a 360 controller but I only can use them on other games. I just can't drive with a controller or keyboard.  :'(

I read that it was too much trouble or impossible to add the wheel support to Ridge Runner because of an analog vs. digital input conflict. I just wonder why some newer games will or will not support wheels? The game engine, different game consoles, direct x, GFW requirements?

Does anyone have a simple to understand answer, so that I won't be upset that the other driving  games don't support a wheel and I want to play it anyway because I like it?   :-\

dbs213

I'd say all games should be keyboard friendly. Shift 2 Unleashed was a complete piece of turd with a keyboard.
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 8GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 1TB Hard Drive
======================================
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." - Colin McRae (1968 - 2007)

cheets

I use Logitech Momo Racing FF wheel to play car games. I hope NGC includes proper support for wheels because those are meant to be used with car games :) Also wheel is the easiest controller for younger kids than gamepad or keyboard.

I also own an Xbox controller but I prefer to use wheel if the game has proper support for it.

Joonas Laakso

Does anyone have a simple to understand answer, so that I won't be upset that the other driving  games don't support a wheel and I want to play it anyway because I like it?   :-\

Yes. Money. The only reason we don't support every controller out there is that they require custom handling in the code and frontend per-device and we don't have the guys/time (=money) to do it. We're trying our best to make sure that all the devices that make sense with NCG are going to be supported.

An exception is our previous game (Ridge Racer Unbounded/Drfitopia), where we did try the game with a wheel and it just didn't work, gameplay-wise, so we left them out consciously. If we had added wheel support, that would've meant leaving something else out.

That's actually the answer to pretty much all feature requests. We don't leave things undone out of not caring, it's because we can't. We need to ship a game with the features we can afford that make sense.

pjutila

Definitely a wheel, it's a car game after all.

The most fun I've had so far with my Logitech G25 so far has been while playing Flatout 2 with the full 900 degree steering lock. Using the clutch pedal as a nitro pedal and the gear stick as a handbrake. I wasn't always the top performing driver at our LAN games, but arguably I was having the best time while playing.

If it's altogether possibly I'd like to see NGC support the H-pattern gearsticks of G25/27 and other wheels. It would make destruction derby even more frantic, if after a crash you could miss a gear shift, stall your engine and be left helpless on the arena.

PS. I pre-ordered instantly after hearing about this.

Comrade Suhov

I voted for keyboard because it's a little complicated to mount my Logitech DF GT in front of my PC (compared to PS3) but I might try to play with wheel too. Actually I'm thinking of buying more expensive one before Gran Turismo 6 release.

John Burning

Usually I play with a keyboard and sometimes with wheel.
So a keyboard is more priority.

Flores

To me: this game will be arcadey enough for just a (XBOX360) controller. Although there should be a challenge in controlling the cars driving behaviour. But the best would of course be if all people could play it to their particular taste.

Cornkid

Thanks for the wheel support Cornkid. I have not purchased the new Ridge Runner game or other driving games because of nonsupport in the games. I tried the demo with a 360 controller but I only can use them on other games. I just can't drive with a controller or keyboard.  :'(

I read that it was too much trouble or impossible to add the wheel support to Ridge Runner because of an analog vs. digital input conflict. I just wonder why some newer games will or will not support wheels? The game engine, different game consoles, direct x, GFW requirements?

Hi m8, been ages, I hope youre well.

Joonas has given an answer above, and it makes sense, the time/money spent on enabling keyboard/pad/wheel will impact on other things.

I personally say do away with some other things then, but to give the game its best chance of being popular and active then the maximum amount of players should be encouraged from day 1, other bits can be tweaked/added with patches if needs be.

Get the basics in place, then add the eye candy or gimmicks , if its anything like Flatout then modders may even do their stuff and tweak the game for you.

First impressions for any game are the ones that count, as these are often the reviews that gamers read and decide whether to buy or not, then it depends how a game is supported by devs. 

chylex

Pretty straightforward answer to me, I don't have any gamepad/wheel and I don't plan on buying since I know I wouldn't use them anyways, so I hope some effort will be put to make the game work well with keyboards :).

Heddly

Yes. Money. The only reason we don't support every controller out there is that they require custom handling in the code and frontend per-device and we don't have the guys/time (=money) to do it. We're trying our best to make sure that all the devices that make sense with NCG are going to be supported.

An exception is our previous game (Ridge Racer Unbounded/Drfitopia), where we did try the game with a wheel and it just didn't work, gameplay-wise, so we left them out consciously. If we had added wheel support, that would've meant leaving something else out.

That's actually the answer to pretty much all feature requests. We don't leave things undone out of not caring, it's because we can't. We need to ship a game with the features we can afford that make sense.

Thank you Joonas, for your response. I can see what you mean, time is money.  8)

Purple44

Most likely I'll be playing with my wheel (Logitech G27), but I do have a Xbox 360 gamepad just in case.

When it comes to wheels, I dont expect this game to have the best force feedback in the world, but some decent response with no deadzones and a reasonable steering lock will suffice to make me happy.

This. I very much like to play with a wheel (Fanatec CSR) if possible. But keyboard support is of course a good thing also. At least in FO1 it's almost impossible to drive with a wheel because of huge deadzone and slow response.
/Ohand I don't have a controller for PC so it's either keyboard or wheel.

Had no trouble using a MOMO wheel with Flatout 1 and now use a DFGT wheel when I host our FOv3 mod for Flatout 1.

Youtube video link - use 720p quality setting.
Online with the FOv3 mod for Flatout 1.

Got my first force feedback MOMO wheel when I ordered US version of Flatout 1 back in Aug, 2005. I have gone through 3 MOMO wheels and now have a DFGT wheel. Grid 1 derby racing online wore out my last MOMO wheel ( strip the gears!! ).

My racing games got to support a wheel or it a no buy for me. Be it arcade or sim.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Miaouss

First, let me say that I'm so happy that you are making this game. I've always been a huuuge fan of Flatout 1 & 2. There were so many lans I played those games with my friends.

So I have to say that anyone who played Flatout with a force feedback racing wheel can never go back. It was so exciting to feel the changes in the track and the other cars pushing. A fun that I never got back in other car games.

I know that the money is a problem but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, just make it that some driving wheels are usable. Not all, take the 3 most common... one in every price range for example... anything.

Hell, I would buy a new FFB racing wheel if your game is as fun to play as Flatout 1 or 2  :D