Author Topic: Vertex paint, transparent textures (water, glass) and other strange things  (Read 4063 times)

The Very End

Hey! Been trying to make smooth road / terrain transitions lately, and came across this great guide:

However, when I do the same I get this:

Errrhmm.. What happens here and how to fix? In Max it looks great, but ofc. in the game it all goes to pices >.<

Edit: This is how it would look in Max:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:08:29 AM by The Very End »

Orbotnive T

Bump for the big boys to talk ;) Glad you're interested and active TVE

Daystar

Bump for the big boys to talk ;) Glad you're interested and active TVE

I would like to pipe in real quickly... The Very End is one of the very best track creators out their, aside from Purple44, Sam and a couple others. I do know it takes a lot of work to figure out how in hell to make it work (their unique creations). and for me to even think about making a track is really beyond my scope, thanks to many years of hard partying... yeah yeah, it is a downfall I must admit, however I still love and appreciate what these guys are doing! and and I am somewhat lucky in my ability to make some skies somehow lol.. party on and be happy we have modders that can make WF somewhat more unique and interesting! yes I am smasshed off some brews but Cheers none the less haha!  ;)

ahh forget fixing my typos... am to lazy, to tired, and to effed up lol.. lets just let it ride... haha what eva lol

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:00:11 AM by Daystar »

The Very End

Haha rave on ;D Thanks tho :)
Yeah, it is mind boghling sometimes how things work in Max. This is one example. I guess if not any other or the devs themselves know how to do it - then there is no hope for smooth transitions >*<

Mazay

In the example track there is the colourful blend material/texture, maybe that's one way to do it? I have no idea about vertex colors.
There is also the VertexColors = true object property, though maybe won't help with blending?

The Very End

Ooohh, that is interesting! Will have to check out that VertexColor = true when I get home :) I did try that blend method from the example track - turned out the game throwed pink textures on me all of a sudden... haha, mysteries! But again, thanks, now I got a lead :)

Edit: Just as a heads  up, did not change a thing haha! :D Well well, guess that's fooked then..
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:47:34 PM by The Very End »

The Very End

Actually, to expand on this: How come transparent materials does not, or - how do I use them? No matter the material (or Vray) I cannot seem to be able to make a material semi-transparent, like water and glass etc. After some digging I did manage to find that there is surfaces for both glass and water, but they do not seem to help me and my case.

So, if we could know what material settings and export settings you use for Vertex Paint and transparent surfaces that would be great ;]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:09:39 AM by The Very End »

The Very End

An update (and bump). Transparent textures should be assigned to the occapasity (wrong spelled) socket slot on texture. Using the glass texture from BugBear and assigning it to that made the texture transparent.

So now we're only left with texture  transitions and how to do them. Since Vertex Paint has it's own tag, I guess Bugbear uses that. Question is - how? 

Mazay

Have you got the VertexColors = true to have any effect?
It could also be just to show colors of vertexpaint when there is not any texture. I don't know.

The Very End

It did not have any effect sadly :/ Tried different things but no luck. I know I could use an image editing program to make transition, but Vertex Paint seems like a much, MUCH better option for this purpose.

Mazay

In Blender I could paint directly on model (texture paint) and it actually changes the image texture. Maybe same can be done in 3dsmax?

The Very End

It works like wonders in 3ds max, can draw it on easy-pesy with the painter, and the transition looks great. But then I enter Wreckfest and it turns into the mess you see in post 1. I have no idea why lol :P

Mazay

Yes, but without vertex paint. In example there is track_blend_c.tga:

I am not sure how you're supposed to generate that, or how it blends actually.
Is there button in 3dsmax to view example track with blended materials? I could not find that:

I might try to paint just those colors on texture(not vertex paint) in max/blender or photoshop to see how it works out.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:44:12 PM by Mazay »

The Very End

If you open the example track base file you will be able to see the textures, at least in 3ds Max. But from what I can see the same texture is applied 4 times on an material, and then there is the tag #blend on it...pretty confusing. Also, wouldn't those maps you show, blend color maps or what they are named, just have an impact on light / light reflection? The holy grail would be how-to use some sort of gradient map or whatever to make a texture transition.

And while at it - why does applying gradient maps or other nice texture transition totally wreck the converter? If you have any gradient map or mix material assigned the compiler will crash whole 3ds Max lol >.<

Mazay

Also, wouldn't those maps you show, blend color maps or what they are named, just have an impact on light / light reflection? The holy grail would be how-to use some sort of gradient map or whatever to make a texture transition.

I am not 100% sure what is track_blend_c.tga, but terrain_blend.tga is obviously about texture transition:

edit: track_blend_c.tga is very similar, with exception that it also seems to blend road surface textures?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:11:54 PM by Mazay »