Author Topic: Vertex paint, transparent textures (water, glass) and other strange things  (Read 2918 times)

The Very End

Does every track have a terrain_blend file or? Why would they go to such hassles instead of just using the texture paint function? Seems like you have to create a map of the whole scenery, then draw the transitions in, and then lastly somehow magically link that to the materials that are responsible for the textures around track.. :/

Mazay

I think it depends from map to map. Some pretty big maps atleast earlier had full map blend maps. Some maps have many smaller blend maps. For cliffs and parts of road I think.

The Very End

Did you have any luck in the research Mazay? I still have not found the usage for Vertex Paint / how to get it working :)

Vertex paint/vertex colors are not supported, you need to use blend material instead (check track_modding.doc for info)

The Very End

Thanks for info. However, the part about blend files in the document are a bit limited, how and what usage are the blend maps? How are transitions handeled (textures)? :)

This in 3ds max of course.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:36:03 PM by The Very End »

The Very End

Edit: So, if I get this right:

1: An material can have up to 3 assigned textures to it (ref. example track, and not counting bumpmap)?
2: The blend map(s) indicate how the different textures should be applied on the model. Example shows red, greeen and blue, which corrosponds to the different  textures applied to the material?
3: The Macro map tells something about blend map. From what I guess the macro gives instructions to the blend map(s) which in turn gives instructions to the texture rollout?
4: Materials that are of blend type should be normal standard material, but have the tag #blend at the very last part of it. Like: road#asphalt(surfaceType)#insertFoliageNamehere#ShaderType#Blend?

If above is right, do you use software to generate the blend maps, or do you sit in a photo editing program and define where the 3 colors (or more) should be applied / spread manually?

Edit2: I would love to google myself out of it, but I just cannot seem to find good info about this subject. The closest I get are normal maps, but that's not quite what I'm after since you allready have normal textures and bumpmaps / normal maps in the textures. It's only a matter of making texture transitions that are a bit difficoult. I tried using gradient maps and such, but then the Bugbear compiler crashes the whole 3ds max :D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 10:52:14 AM by The Very End »

1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. Macro (normal) map is a normal map that uses UV channel 2 with additional AO and roughness stored in.
See NS map in track documentation.
4. Correct.

Blend material's "blend map" or "splat map" is done in Photoshop or similar image editing software.

The Very End

Thanks :) Now we have something to work from and research on! :)
Ps, can I ask one more thing? How to assign different textures / materials based on color code in max? Or, how do you define on material that red channel corresponds to texture one?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:10:37 AM by The Very End »

Yeah sure ask anything you want  :)

Diffuse color slot = R = 1st texture
Specular color   slot = G = 2nd texture
Specular level slot= B = 3rd texture
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:33:11 AM by Petri Alanenpää »

The Very End

Great! Thank you :) Now I will have the needed info to research further on my own. I will likely ask more later, but for now - thank you again!

The Very End

Edit:
Errr, how does this work agian? :p

For the test I tok one blend map which is allready in game on ambient color slot, but no matter what I call this file it won't load :/

Edit: Turns out that every texture needs to be named xxx_track_blend ... So that means I will have to make entierly new textures which in turn will explode the space usage.
Please - can you remove the name check? Or at least make sure names like xxx_xxx is accepted, without the terrain blend added to name :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:53:41 PM by The Very End »

From the doc:

Textures are placed in the first four slots:

Ambient color    = blend map
Diffuse color    = 1st albedo
Specular color   = 2nd albedo
Specular level   = 3rd albedo

Rest of the maps are not placed in the material editor as they are loaded based on the names of the blend map and albedo maps. For example,  if we have following blend map and albedo maps:

track_blend_c.tga
ground_grass01_c.tga
ground_grass02_c.tga
ground_sand01_c.tga,

rest of the maps should be named:

ground_grass01_ns.tga
ground_grass02_ns.tga
ground_sand01_ns.tga
track_macro_ns.tga
track_color_c.tga
track_clutter_mask_t.tga (not needed if material name doesn’t have cluttergroup-tag)
track_clutter_color_t.tga (not needed if material name doesn’t have cluttergroup-tag)

So if your blend map name is someName_blend_c, macro should be named someName_macro_ns etc. And if one of your albedo maps is named someTexture_c, then its normal map is named someTexture_ns.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:39:16 PM by Petri Alanenpää »

Cornkid

From the doc:

Textures are placed in the first four slots:

Ambient color    = blend map
Diffuse color    = 1st albedo
Specular color   = 2nd albedo
Specular level   = 3rd albedo

Rest of the maps are not placed in the material editor as they are loaded based on the names of the blend map and albedo maps. For example,  if we have following blend map and albedo maps:

track_blend_c.tga
ground_grass01_c.tga
ground_grass02_c.tga
ground_sand01_c.tga,

rest of the maps should be named:

ground_grass01_ns.tga
ground_grass02_ns.tga
ground_sand01_ns.tga
track_macro_ns.tga
track_color_c.tga
track_clutter_mask_t.tga (not needed if material name doesn’t have cluttergroup-tag)
track_clutter_color_t.tga (not needed if material name doesn’t have cluttergroup-tag)

So if your blend map name is someName_blend_c, macro should be named someName_macro_ns etc. And if one of your albedo maps is named someTexture_c, then it's normal map is named someTexture_ns.

I will be honest, none of that made much sense to me....

But just had to say thanks for being involved in forums and helping modders out, it is appreciated ;)

The Very End

Ahh thanks haha! So, all textures must have same name as the blend map only difference is that type of file? :)
Any reasons for this btw? The texture folder size will explode if I have to rename textures to blend setup.

While on it, is alias names or similar possible? Texture might have one name but we could trick compiler to read a other name?

Again thanks for input!

Edit: Sorry typo's and bad post setup, on a crappy windows phone..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 08:52:06 PM by The Very End »

You only need to rename your macro, color and clutter maps to match the blend map. I don't understand why the size would explode  :D 

Our tracks usually have 1 or 2 blend maps, like in the example track.