Author Topic: Curious error sometimes popping up  (Read 2668 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for the reports, guys.

So far the issue has proven to be too sporadic in nature to track it down, since with no proper repro steps it's extremely difficult to debug. I've myself noticed that the issue seems to appear only when you've had the game open for some time. That said, If anyone can come up with close to 100% repro that would be of course perfect, but everything helps.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Purple44

I'm just reporting what I was doing when I got the R6025 error. The more reports like this, maybe make it easier for Bugbear to narrow down what causing this new bug.

This bug definitely was not in Wreckfest until latest Oct Build got release.

This was a freshly started Wreckfest. First derby went for 20 mins, then crash after we went back to the garage, change color on the bug and then started the derby up again.

Last Saturday after getting the R6025 error at Space server. I hosted for about 3 hours and never got the error.

So far for me, error has not happen during a race or derby. It happen between races or derbys.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Janne Suur-Näkki

For me personally the error has always popped up when forcing the game to close by pressing ALT + F4 or closing the window.

Not surprisingly, Stuntfest also suffers from the same bug.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Purple44

For me personally the error has always popped up when forcing the game to close by pressing ALT + F4 or closing the window.

I usually use the menu to close Wreckfest and if game is lock up, I bring up task manager and find the exe and do a End Process.

Janne, have you triggered the R6025 error with ALT+F4 before the latest Build release?

Also, sent you a PM Oct 20th, if you miss it.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Devin

I was about to say exactly that. It also usually happened now when the game was in a race with AI and paused while doing so.
I have not encountered that bug before and so far, even though I have encountered it, it obviously never bothered me because I wanted to close the game anyway :P

I'll try some things to hopefully find a definite way to recreate that error.

I have to add that I only encountered this error when playing for a short time (less than 10 minutes), so it's definitely not just because the game was running for too long. Might not be related to time at all

EDIT:

According to Microsoft, that error appears when a purely virtual function is called in the constructor of a class. Not even kidding, that would make it much easier to track the problem down. (read below to see why it makes it even harder to reproduce)
Basically: Which classes were changed since the last build? Look through the constructors to maybe find the faulty call, but apparently the compiler is usually supposed to find and correct the error. Well, apparently sometimes it doesn't.

To everyone trying to reproduce: It must happen when something is created, changing, maybe just an on-screen text or when a part comes off of a car or something? Or when a new car is loaded (unlikely, since it happens on alt+f4, that definitely won't load new cars). What's really unusual about this is that it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

Because this error is related to abstract classes, maybe there's an abstract class that has a function which is called somewhere in the game - one frame too late, when the function has become pure virtual because something else was loaded for the abstract class/object in that one frame timespan? That could be the reason, which would then explain why we can't easily reproduce it and why it happens in the first place
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:12:52 PM by Devin »

Daystar

I am curious if there is some way we can capture where the defaulting code may be? such as running cheat machine, or process hacker... I need to do some extensive testing on this problem later today after shopping. but the problem is.. this error is very rare, so I will need to constantly have said apps running always when I play Wreckfest. I will give it a go later today. just hope I can intercept the area that causes the crash.

Edit: Meant Cheat Engine not cheat machine lol

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:26:05 PM by Daystar »

Devin

I am curious if there is some way we can capture where the defaulting code may be? such as running cheat machine, or process hacker... I need to do some extensive testing on this problem later today after shopping. but the problem is.. this error is very rare, so I will need to constantly have said apps running always when I play Wreckfest. I will give it a go later today. just hope I can intercept the area that causes the crash.

After the code is compiled, there's almost no way to find that specific bug. Cheat engine can display memory values, but that's not even remotely enough :P Unless you set up proper debugging previously (which Visual C++ doesn't do as good by default as I'd like it, but at least it gives us error codes to what exactly went wrong) or based on the error you search through the code, there's not much you can do. Unless some magician at Bugbear knows more than I am about Visual C++, for example a way to debug, which is definitely possible because I don't know much about that other than the basic logic behind it because it's quite similar to almost every commonly used language :D

But at least Microsoft's error description tells us what happens, which could help the devs find the error much faster :)

@Daystar it is highly unlikely that it's another program interfering with Wreckfest. The error happens as a result of a logic error in the code, which can happen faster than you like without any compiler errors. So it's most likely just an oversight. But it's almost certain that it's an actual bug in the game and not caused by any external factors

Daystar

After the code is compiled, there's almost no way to find that specific bug. Cheat engine can display memory values, but that's not even remotely enough :P Unless you set up proper debugging previously (which Visual C++ doesn't do as good by default as I'd like it, but at least it gives us error codes to what exactly went wrong) or based on the error you search through the code, there's not much you can do. Unless some magician at Bugbear knows more than I am about Visual C++, for example a way to debug, which is definitely possible because I don't know much about that other than the basic logic behind it because it's quite similar to almost every commonly used language :D

But at least Microsoft's error description tells us what happens, which could help the devs find the error much faster :)

@Daystar it is highly unlikely that it's another program interfering with Wreckfest. The error happens as a result of a logic error in the code, which can happen faster than you like without any compiler errors. So it's most likely just an oversight. But it's almost certain that it's an actual bug in the game and not caused by any external factors

Hmm thanks for explaining. I am hoping the devs are running an automatic logfile through a dev console command at least.  or some way to catch exactly what just transpired before the crash. and also what track, car, mod etc was enabled at the time.  it sure is a nasty bug.

Finsku

Okay, so I got R6025 error code twice after moving Steam games to memory stick (Long story in few words: pc has only 128GB SSD and full already).

Error message pops up when going back to the menu from results.
So I think the reason why this will happen is that one/some of functions/scripts/runs (I don't know the specific word for this) what game does in background in race results -window will not be terminated (because user is going too fast to the main menu).

Devin

I just got that error. However, Wreckfest wasn't even running. In fact, it was 3ds max.

This does not mean that it's not Wreckfest. But in max, it happened while closing the program. Just like in Wreckfest for me. So either a thread unloads something while it's being processed which then crashes (possible multithreading error?) or there is an actual bug somewhere

Finsku

Up. Got it the first time after update with my gaming/working desktop pc.
I was going back to menu. After clicking "Continue" in results' window the Runtime Error! window came.

TheEngiGuy

Well, ups. After 98 hours total playing Wreckfest for 3 years, I got this error for the first time.
I was racing on Gravel 1 with the American 3. Totaled my car by landing after a jump, then clicked on "continue" to quit the race and got the Runtime Error while it was loading the garage.

Pretty much the same situation as Finsku's.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:43:02 PM by TheEngiGuy »

RickyB

That said, If anyone can come up with close to 100% repro that would be of course perfect, but everything helps.

In case this issue hasn't been solved yet, I may have found a 100% repro...  which might be good news for BugBear but bad news for me, because my precious Trackfest mod is involved. ahrgh.

How to reproduce: (Obviously you need the Trackfest mod :-/)

1) Start a race on 'Central Chaos'. Doesn't matter what variant or if there's AI involved.
2) End the race - doesn't matter if you drive all the laps - see video. It may be neccessary to move the car across the first checkpoint - It didn't work when I didn't wait for countdown to end.
3) Continue to garage
4) Start a race on any track (any track except Central Chaos. It doesn't happen if you start that same track again)
5) repeat step 2 (End the race - doesn't matter if you drive all the laps, you can just quit.)

* Now when pressing "continue" the Runtime Error R6025 window should pop up. *

Video: happening with Tarmac 1 as second track.

Video: happening with an other track from the mod as second track.

So it happens when going back to the garage on any track that was startet AFTER having a race on "Central Chaos". Most probably 100% of the time - I haven't testet every track, just a few, but it worked every time.

Just to leave another info (maybe usefull, who knows) - Shadowplay saves the files in different folders, sometimes in "Next Car Game - Wreckfest", sometimes in "Desktop". On one R6025 error, Shadowplay saved the video in a new folder, that didn't exist before, called "System32". Maybe some hint to the R6025 error? My knowledge ends here.

Hope you can find what's causing it and fix it. (Some object on the first track?)
I can't do anything to prevent my mod causing this, can I? (except removing the track, but I don't want to do that)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:58:32 PM by RickyBøbby »

Devin

Just to leave another info (maybe usefull, who knows) - Shadowplay saves the files in different folders, sometimes in "Next Car Game - Wreckfest", sometimes in "Desktop". On one R6025 error, Shadowplay saved the video in a new folder, that didn't exist before, called "System32". Maybe some hint to the R6025 error? My knowledge ends here.
That is caused by the fact that upon launching Wreckfest, it'll run in exclusive fullscreen mode - this is where it gets saved in "Next Car Game - Wreckfest". But once you alt+tab out of the game (or exit using any other method except for closing the application), it'll automatically switch to a borderless window - at which point it gets saved as "Desktop" if you turned on desktop recording, since it now records the desktop with the game running on it instead of capturing just the game.

And my guess for the System32, though this part I can't confirm, is that Shadowplay tries to record the game in exclusive fullscreen and once the recording ends, it saves the thing into the appropriate folder. Now, when recording and the game crashes, it probably doesn't grab the app name fast enough to save it to the correct folder so it probably reverts back to the default one which is very often System32. But I'm very sure that this only confirms that the game crashed, but it won't actually help tracking down that bug. The 100% repro will surely help though

Hope that clears this part up :P It shouldn't cause any errors though, unless something there went really wrong
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 11:44:34 PM by Devin »

Daystar

This comment directed towards RickyBøbby. It's not just your mod causing this problem (crash). do me a favor and see if this also crashes your game,... Load up The Very End's "The Very TrackPack"mod, Race on the Michigan Speedway track, and after that please load up the Speedbowl derby mode.. do your derby, and see if the Wreckfest game crashes after your game. seems to be a universal problem with track mods. so not just you! no worries  :)