Author Topic: Update 2016-10-14  (Read 17294 times)

Devin

Can we please have an option to turn off the new crowds? they look great and all, but they seriously tank my framerate, Oval 1 went from very smooth to me, to being borderline unplayable (swings from 40-120FPS and very stuttery, when it used to hold 80+ FPS).

I have the same issue, but in fact I have it on every track, even those with no spectators. Looks like a different bug to me. Are you sure it's them?

Orbotnive T

"Orbotnive T, I received your message, thanks for it, but I didn't have an opportunity to get back to you yet. My apologies."

No problem sorry for spamming the report all over 3 times, I hoped that there'd be time before the next update to look into it, I didn't expect the update that soon :)

Thanks by the way for the update. But I too have noticed a serious drop in framerate. Even when toning down the graphical settings the game is chugging for whatever reason I'm not sure.

sam223

Another issue that's lowering the enjoyability of the game online is that different players have a different idea on how the game should be played, and this is actually something we're not sure how to go about. There are a lot of people who simply like to crash and burn, and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's frustrating to those players who'd like to race, perhaps with an occasional contact here and there. I'm also guessing that due to difficulties in keeping the car under control, whether it's from lag or just because the game's more difficult than people expect, people unintentionally cause crashes. Also, some players might get frustrated to the difficult and just start trolling around.

If you consider adding more gameplay limiting options like the reverse limiter to help force players into a particular play style. Please make them host specific options and not forced on at all times. What one person considers trolling, is what another person considers a fair hit or fun, depending on what racing background theyve come from.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

MamieNova

Hmmm,
I hate to say that I cannot play at all.
Down to 1 FPS anywhere, mouse and menus lagging as well.

Will start updating drivers just in case.

Now working properly
Had a few tries on mixed 4 with the A4ii. Pleasant bumping occured.
Will investigate further =D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:16:57 AM by MamieNova »
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55

DD-Indeed

Another issue that's lowering the enjoyability of the game online is that different players have a different idea on how the game should be played, and this is actually something we're not sure how to go about. There are a lot of people who simply like to crash and burn, and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's frustrating to those players who'd like to race, perhaps with an occasional contact here and there. I'm also guessing that due to difficulties in keeping the car under control, whether it's from lag or just because the game's more difficult than people expect, people unintentionally cause crashes. Also, some players might get frustrated to the difficult and just start trolling around.

If you consider adding more gameplay limiting options like the reverse limiter to help force players into a particular play style. Please make them host specific options and not forced on at all times. What one person considers trolling, is what another person considers a fair hit or fun, depending on what racing background theyve come from.

Hmm, how about 10 second time limit to the revese driving, before you are spawned back into the right direction ? Or even more, add options of either automatic kick out of the race (and the limit for the misbehaviour, like 1-3 times before you are kicked out) or for the host/admin/mod the ability to kick out that player from the race, but he'll stay in the lobby nevertheless. That should be fair punishment and concidering, that it won't take 10 seconds to turn your car back into the right direction in case if you've spinned out, it won't be unfair for people, that just try to get back into the race. You could also limit that limitation for the actual race-patch itself, so when going outside the track, you can drive backwards in case if that's the only way to get back to the track from some tricky places.

Even being out the game for many months, these same issues still are there, that could be solved with pretty simple systems. And everyone have seen those, someone hates those issues someone don't, but in the end, everyone wants, that the race would ''progress'' all the time, without any ''blocking players''.

sam223

Hmm, how about 10 second time limit to the revese driving, before you are spawned back into the right direction ? Or even more, add options of either automatic kick out of the race (and the limit for the misbehaviour, like 1-3 times before you are kicked out) or for the host/admin/mod the ability to kick out that player from the race, but he'll stay in the lobby nevertheless. That should be fair punishment and concidering, that it won't take 10 seconds to turn your car back into the right direction in case if you've spinned out, it won't be unfair for people, that just try to get back into the race. You could also limit that limitation for the actual race-patch itself, so when going outside the track, you can drive backwards in case if that's the only way to get back to the track from some tricky places.

Even being out the game for many months, these same issues still are there, that could be solved with pretty simple systems. And everyone have seen those, someone hates those issues someone don't, but in the end, everyone wants, that the race would ''progress'' all the time, without any ''blocking players''.

I don't mind what punishment options are there or how setup (personally i prefer none) but i think its a good idea for some server admins to have the option. I just don't want them to be enforced at all times. Some people like track blocking and people driving the wrong way around as it is allowed in banger racing with realistic restrictions of course. The UK banger rule for turning round is usually outside>in (so you collide passenger side not driver vs driver side) headons on the bends only,other tracks allow headons on the straights,some allow none. Blocking the track,sandbagging is usually always allowed. It all depends on your racing background or assumptions of what is acceptable but if everyone is on the same page to what is acceptable i don't see the problem. Just don't force rules on all servers at all times.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:53:50 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Facial_Burns

That adjustability would be great, Good idea!
My steam group where u can always find some friends on NCG
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRCserver
My NCG discord server
https://discord.gg/010U99akJwUY82yjk

Basic pc specs:
16gb ram
Amd athlon FX 8350 8 core
nividia gtx 970
gigabte motherboard
3tb hdd
windows 8.1 pro

Devin

Actually, both would be necessary to tackle that problem. Add some safety measures, but allow admins to decide whether or not to use them. Some servers don't have rules and don't mind, while others have rules but can't just have an admin on them 24/7 to manually kick and ban people who just troll all the time. It's good to see that others definitely agree on that point!

After all, not the name of the game defines how it's played. The server rules do in that case. I can't simply join a Garry's Mod RP server and shoot everyone down simply because the game itself originally started out as a mod for a shooter. It's the same for every game, but most games allow hosts to enforce rules and even if they don't enforce rules, most players understand clearly that they're not supposed to do it. Definitely something that lacks in Wreckfest. Unfortunately.

I've also analyzed before: People who just like to wreck are better off joining derby servers. However, they usually only join servers that already have players on them. This won't happen on derby servers because derbying alone, waiting for someone to join, is just boring. Racing on the other hand is more fun alone, so more people do that waiting for others to join instead --> wreckers join racing servers because those have players on them.

So if there was some sort of demolition derby mode for race tracks, derby servers could host those to have players join them more often even when they're empty. That'd be an additional way to give every player what they want.

I really don't mind wreckers as long as they just stick to the rules on servers that clearly say no wrecking.
Some of you here prefer to wreck too, but I have never encountered you on any server that didn't allow that and even if I did, you stuck to the rules there and didn't try to kill others or anything.

It shows that, like with every other game, mostly random online users just ignore the rules simply because 1. they can and 2. because they're anonymous and have nothing to lose. After all, no one knows them and they're not on the forums, so no one can point their finger at them and say "he ignores rules, he made my server go down and made everyone leave. Beware of him, ban him when you see him". But obviously that's something we can't enforce, so like with any other game there needs to be some way of rule enforcement instead.

sam223

@Devin : don't forget that some people who like crashing don't like derby. I think some of the confusion comes from gamemode names aswell. You call a gamemode 'banger racing',then banger racing fans are gonna assume thats what it is,whereas those who have no idea what banger racing is think that people are being overly dirty. I don't think anyone would be against host options though,why would they if they can still play the game how they want in certain servers.

DD-Indeed

I don't mind what punishment options are there or how setup (personally i prefer none) but i think its a good idea for some server admins to have the option. I just don't want them to be enforced at all times. Some people like track blocking and people driving the wrong way around as it is allowed in banger racing with realistic restrictions of course. The UK banger rule for turning round is usually outside>in (so you collide passenger side not driver vs driver side) headons on the bends only,other tracks allow headons on the straights,some allow none. Blocking the track,sandbagging is usually always allowed. It all depends on your racing background or assumptions of what is acceptable but if everyone is on the same page to what is acceptable i don't see the problem. Just don't force rules on all servers at all times.

Yea, sure, that's why it should be adjustable/optional, to kinda like describe the server's style and rules. And what's more, you could sometimes loosen them up, when there's admin around, and tighten them up, when leaving the server alone, or vice versa. A lots of simple options, that have huge impact in the outcome. And that way, people would find the perfect server for their taste and interests.

Couple examples:

Example 1: UK Banger Racing-styled server with much more freedom in blocking, since it's the name of the game, right ? Propably backwards-driving is not allowed thou.

Example 2: Clean Driving-server with very tight rules to aim for the clean, fast paced racing with minimal damage and good sportmanship amongst the players, who are aiming for the quick laps, testing their skills. No backwards driving at all, immediately kicked out, if not obeying the rules (again, this is the host's preference, that what he wants).

Example 3: Free for all-styled server, where is no rules, it's complete circus down there and you are aware of it, when entering. You take your own risk, when going there, so complaints are not accepted.

Example 4: Semi-Dirty-server, settles down to somewhere between UK Banger Racing and Clean Driving-servers. Aims for the fast driving, with hard bashing. Backwards driving is not allowed of course, and the blocking is not allowed as well.

See ? You could have so many different types of gameplay overall, where people have the freedom to choose from. And that would give the game a lot more liveliness, since people no more need to lose their minds over some things they just can't take. And also, it would ease the host's/admin's/mod's job A LOT, when you could just have these simple limitations and not to worry about the server being alone in rotation 24/7.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:59:47 PM by DD-Indeed »

Purple44

But how can you get the game code to interpret the four examples you gave DD? You are asking a lot of the Devs to be able to write that good of a code.

A clean racing host code not going to allow any contact? How game going judge if contact was on purpose or an accident?

But when it come to backwards racing, I thought Codies use a good option, Collision Forward in GRID 1 after we ask for away to stop griefers from going backwards. This option ghosts your car if you were going backwards and if your car sat still on the track to long ( Blocker ). Wreckfest ghost your car for a few seconds when you reset your car, so ghosting possible with Wreckfest game code right now.

And for GRID 1 derby racing, host could use Collision ON option, no car ghosting, any thing goes racing. :)
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

pben1

Janne said , Steering wheel being dislocated
Now the steering wheel deforms with the rest of the car (no more floating wheel, yay!), but it sometimes results in the steering wheel moving away from the in-car camera viewport.

Will this bug be fixed ? as it's unrealistic watched some in-car cams banger racing on the Tube, steering wheels don't really deform in that way.
Intel Xeon quad v3-1220@3.10ghz/ASUS Z97-A
Nvida GTX 960 2gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather/ T3PA /G27 Shift

DD-Indeed

But how can you get the game code to interpret the four examples you gave DD? You are asking a lot of the Devs to be able to write that good of a code.

A clean racing host code not going to allow any contact? How game going judge if contact was on purpose or an accident?

But when it come to backwards racing, I thought Codies use a good option, Collision Forward in GRID 1 after we ask for away to stop griefers from going backwards. This option ghosts your car if you were going backwards and if your car sat still on the track to long ( Blocker ). Wreckfest ghost your car for a few seconds when you reset your car, so ghosting possible with Wreckfest game code right now.

And for GRID 1 derby racing, host could use Collision ON option, no car ghosting, any thing goes racing. :)

No, Purp, they don't need to write those things as specific gamemodes or options. Instead, they only create possibility to manually adjust those certain things.

Devin

You would be surprised to hear that this is indeed quite possible and not too complicated! I mean, how would you, as a human, tell whether someone crashed into you on purpose or not? If you watch a replay from the other car's perspective, you can see things like them steering into you (not trying to catch the car from spinning obviously) or them accelerating into you or not braking when there was a corner. That'd be an instant nope and kick on clean servers. Same for spinning others out. You can prevent that by simply stopping to steer into them once you tap them on the rear. And unless they steer towards you actually trying to spin in order to blame you - well, then nothing happens. You see, having that translated into code is actually not much harder than sitting there, analyzing how you would tell the difference :P

So, by now there've been several ideas on how to enforce such rules. It's definitely possible and I really hope it'll happen, because then I can finally have fun playing the game online everytime instead of just occasionally when other drivers feel like joining my player-hosted server.

@Sam right I forgot about those, but they'd definitely be covered with a game mode like the one I talked about. There you get points for both, doing fast laps and crashing people out, so there'd be a fair balance between both and you can do either to win. Means, they could crash out and destroy everyone including themselves and actually get awarded a win for that instead of simply having to wait for the race to finish. How about that idea? I also agree that the name of the mode might be misleading to some people, but there's server rules and even if the game mode said "demolition derby", if the host spams the rules 3 times a minute and those clearly say no crashing, then I think it is safe to say that people simply chose to misinterpret the name in that case. So once again we've reached the point here were rule enforcement is actually required to stop them from doing that. But I agree, both could be done

TPEHAK

I like improved damage visualization.
LAPTOP GIGABYTE P35X V3 || INTEL CORE i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHZ ||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M  8GB GDDR5|| 16GB RAM || 103GB SSD || 1TB HDD || WINDOWS 10 HOME