Author Topic: Water Surface  (Read 1166 times)

tads421

I have been looking all day on how i could add a "pond" in the background of my track.... no one will enter it so it does not need to splash or anything just to look like water..... i have seen in "Bugbear Entertainment\data\scene\surface\" there is a water.suse in there but when i add the surface type to a "plane" in max and export (everything exports ok) but the game will crash when it loads the track. Is there a certain way to add this surface type or is just not in use anymore?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Kev

The Very End

I  dont know, but take comfort in that I tried for six hours to get it to work without success ;P Imo throw a noise modifier on an transparent object is the closest you get I think.

Mazay

I have been also wondering about water surface. How did you add surfacetype? I have been just trying #water in material name which also crash game.

I would think of creating reflective surface with animated normal maps. Google can find couple of tutorials for animating water normal map. However I am not sure how texture animation works in wreckfest.

Second way I could think is create flat surface with looping texture, then animate position of it so it constantly moves. Teleporting it back after a while just right distance so change is not visible.

The Very End

Animated textures is a mystery to me too. Cannot use gradient maps or any other means of texture transitions as it will crash the compiler. As for surfaces, I tried making a slowdown_tarmac surface, but cannot for the life of me get that to work. Made a dynamic type, updated the surface list, made a new surface file, assigned it on material and then as dynamic type - nope. Think surfaces are hardcoded at the moment.

But lets think outside the box here:
We cannot use texture animation and we cannot use animation on vertex level (flex animation, noise animation / modifier etc, so:
1: Create two planes. Make one of the planed wave shaped and put it under the other plane. Then make animation where you move that underlying plane around to simulate waves.
2: Same as above, but this time transparent. Make thr underlying plane only vissible from one side. Make animation where it's usually showing the untextured side but as it passes the first plane which is transparent, flip it and move ir around to simulate water waves.
3: Stich togheter a lot of objects that will work as the surface, but remember - they must not be same object as it would not work. Then manually go about moving objects and reorder the others to fit to simulate water. Last one is doable but demands insane amounts of work I think.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:20:32 PM by The Very End »

Mazay

Hmm sounds complicated, I think we can animate textures, going to look in that.

Edit: Could not yet figure out how, but strmods GTA Vice city stadium do have the rolling banner where the position of texture is animated, and the engine flames is texture animation aswell. Bmap do have the frames inside.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 07:48:13 PM by Mazay »

The Very End

Keep us updated :)

Mazay

The big scrolling advertisement data/art/objects/prop_start_jumbotron2.scne
Do have tags #illuminated#saw29#texture_animation as material name. (object01 > mesh1 > batch2 > material1)

Just pasting #saw29#texture_animation at the end of any material will make texture move.
#saw01#texture_animation and texture moves slowly
#saw29#texture_animation is quite fast

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:20:11 PM by Mazay »

The Very End

Hrmf...wonder how that works. Maybe GIFs? Put pictures in certain naming order, then game finds them? At least the blend mapping showed me just how much the game finds by it self as long the naming is right.

Edit: Maybe simple auto-time swap animation in 3ds max which works thanks to animated_texture tag?

Edit: can any texture use that tag? Is it some code that makes  current texture to move to certain side of the plane it is attached too?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:44:18 PM by The Very End »

Mazay

Hrmf...wonder how that works. Maybe GIFs? Put pictures in certain naming order, then game finds them? At least the blend mapping showed me just how much the game finds by it self as long the naming is right.
The flame particles have all frames in same bmap. No idea how that works, and if it's just partickles only.

Edit: can any texture use that tag? Is it some code that makes  current texture to move to certain side of the plane it is attached too?
I think it works in any texture. And effect is like equal to moving uvmap selection from left to right.

The Very End

Actually I think you explain it. If it is saved as ONE big picture with all the flames lined after eachothers, then going fast from one side of the picture to the other (as described above) should maybe work.

Mazay

That will work only at certain framerate, so I think there is more to that.

Dalags

Done some experimenting tonight, and found some info out on texture animations. (Searched the forum and there's no other discussion on texture animation, so I'll assume this thread is best place to post).

The game only seems to read the first digit after #saw.
For instance, in the examples above:
#saw01 = #saw0
#saw29 = #saw2

The saw values run from 0 to 9, with 0 being the slowest and 9 being the fastest.
#saw99 = #saw9
#saw100 = #saw1
#saw999999 = #saw9
etc.

Thus, the following tags at the end of a material name seem best to use:
#saw0#texture_animation
#saw1#texture_animation
#saw2#texture_animation
#saw3#texture_animation
#saw4#texture_animation
#saw5#texture_animation
#saw6#texture_animation
#saw7#texture_animation
#saw8#texture_animation
#saw9#texture_animation

The animation always runs from left to right (UV values are increased on the X axis?).
Minus numbers don't seem to work - I haven't been able to get the animation running from right to left.

The only problem I've had is that the saw tag produces strange lighting on the animated object. For example on the red and yellow armco fence:
Regular material name/without the #saw tag:

With the #saw tag:

#saw#texture_animation (without any numbers) doesn't produce any texture animation.
#9#texture_animation (without '#saw') doesn't produce any texture animation.
#saw9 (without #texture_animation) doesn't produce any texture animation, but has regular lighting.
#texture_animation (without #sawX) doesn't produce any texture animation, but has the strange lighting.

@Mazay, there doesn't appear to be any strange lighting on your animated track surface above. How did you achieve this?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:45:50 AM by Dalags »

Dalags

Fixed, thanks

Mazay

I haven't been able to get the animation running from right to left.
I remember playing with random #was #san #sas trying too get direction to change, but I can't remember if I had success. Workaround is to rotate your textures in photoshop and rotate uv coordinates as direction comes from uv mapping.

@Mazay, there doesn't appear to be any strange lighting on your animated track surface above. How did you achieve this?
I did nothing. Used Blender and used those tags. I can check my texture setup if there is something.

Edit: Checked it and there is nothing, but the texture and the animation tags and #asphalt.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:17:02 PM by Mazay »