Author Topic: Self-collision  (Read 1772 times)

John Burning

Hi all!
As you can see on this shot, the wheel falls through the floor and other parts of the car.

So, I've got a question.
Bugbears, will you make better self-collision to avoid this or not?
I heard that it's pretty hard and expensive to do, but it's real at all?
Hope yes. That would be better than it is now.

Frisker

It doesn't look like it's inside the car, it's just flat tyre so it looks like it's inside the floor and the body.
In my opinion that looks awesome!

i5 2310, 2.9Ghz
GeForce GTX 750 ti, 2Gb
8Gb's RAM

RacerBest

I see nothing wrong with this, looks fine.  :)

John Burning

Ok, ok, whatever you say... :)
Just interesting.

Joonas Laakso

We almost retouched the picture so it wouldn't look like there's any issue with it, but ultimately decided to go with the screenshot directly as it was in-engine. (We've only cut out the background and adjusted colors.)

When we have a choice of "fun" versus "realism", we're going to go for fun every single time. Of course, in this sort of game, sometimes realism equals fun, but often we need to go beyond what's real.

That said, we're still adjusting things with the deform system.

BC304

It works pretty fine for me  ;D

John Burning

Ok, thanks! :)
Keep up!))

nielsvk

Damn, THIS kind of destruction in-game? That's bad-ass!

Ofcourse, in Carmageddon you could literally split your car in two equal parts, or even completly wrap around a pole, fall down and STILL DRIVE (although ofcourse only little rounds around the axis!)!

But damn. Gj Bugbear.

Dankk

We almost retouched the picture so it wouldn't look like there's any issue with it, but ultimately decided to go with the screenshot directly as it was in-engine. (We've only cut out the background and adjusted colors.)

When we have a choice of "fun" versus "realism", we're going to go for fun every single time. Of course, in this sort of game, sometimes realism equals fun, but often we need to go beyond what's real.

That said, we're still adjusting things with the deform system.

This makes me so happy to hear.  :D Flatout had some realistic elements to it, but ultimately, what made it the most fun was how unrealistic it was. It's nice to have a good balance between the two either way.

stoogah

This makes me so happy to hear.  :D Flatout had some realistic elements to it, but ultimately, what made it the most fun was how unrealistic it was. It's nice to have a good balance between the two either way.

I always prefered FO1 because it was more realistic (btw anyone remember pro simu mod? That was a challange, especially with keyboard). Not too realistic, but enough to look believable (for me it is important). FO2/UC was fun because of bigger carnage (higher speeds, more cars in UC, more debris on tracks) but it was just a little too... sci-fi. FO1 had perfect balance between realism and fun imo.

nielsvk

FO1, although it gave me a nice follow-up for Destruction Derby and Carmageddon after all those years, it still frustrated the hell out of me because of stupid little things on the side of the road that completely stopped your car. Drive through everything, but stuck at a little signpost. Fortunately that was all gone in FO2.