Author Topic: SURVEY! Let's hear your opinion.  (Read 6322 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

We're running a short survey to gauge everyone's opinion on Wreckfest to help us adjust the direction of the game, and we'd love if you could take a moment to participate.

The survey can be found HERE.

If you want to add in any additional comments please reply to this thread.

Thanks in advance!
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Devin

That one probably requires a "other: <text here>" option or something. Because whenever I don't feel like playing, the reason is definitely related to either the multiplayer or some bug/missing feature :P

Janne Suur-Näkki

Well, it does say the *MAIN* reason :) Bugs and stuff like performance is important but we really want to find out about the root causes.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

conso1727

Just sent my reply. I hope it will help

Daystar

I took the survey as well and sent it off... but have a question Janne bud, uhm in music I selected other and put in Trance. but can it be possible to have trance and Rock as well? I am a bit buzzed tonight (beer only!) and do not want to mess up my survey lol

Janne Suur-Näkki

Meh, we ended up adding "Other" for the aforementioned question after all ;-) Feel free to edit your answers.

Mike, sure thing -- a "Mix of above" is now a mix of various styles so both trance and rock is all fine an dandy.

Devin

Well, it does say the *MAIN* reason :) Bugs and stuff like performance is important but we really want to find out about the root causes.
I know, I know :P But really, that actually is the main reason :D
I mainly play online because not even the most realistic AI in the world are fun enough for me, no game has managed to do that yet. But there, the stuff that came up on the forums before, for example clear rule enforcement is just completely missing. And then, while the game has very realistic physics which I just love, I am more or less forced to drive in chase cam because otherwise I'll have the disadvantage of not seeing where I'm going as soon as I hit anything at all, this goes for hood cam and cockpit view. Another problem is the lack of mirrors. So the game has amazing physics for racers, but somehow makes the impression that it was never intended to be played by them because both problems can make it incredibly hard sometimes to race without any troubles.

But that's nothing that can't be fixed, for example the "broken" cockpit right now for me is just the weirdly deforming steering wheel getting in my way and the rule enforcement can be worked around by making a password protected lobby that only people are allowed on that are known to like a good clean race.

Thanks for adding the option! I'll change my answers to add that there too :)

TheEngiGuy

Thanks for the survey.
Already wrote what I think about all this on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/152390648089047498/#c152390648089102621

Hoppen

Have filled it out, looking forward to seeing what direction Wreckfest takes, I love the game, but at the moment, there just aren't enough people in multiplayer for me to enjoy it (I can't play on EU servers because of ping issues).

I've loved Wreckfest since I first picked it up in December 2014, build 6 was very enjoyable and felt great, the only things I thought were missing were better multiplayer options, more tracks/cars, online felt really good with very little lag right up until 300~ ping.

When Build 7 came out, a lot of people left the game because of the "harder" handling and worse graphics performance (my old computer literally halved in performance when that build was released), then parts management came out, and I think basically everyone hated it, and every single update changed the handling dramatically which I think drove a lot more people away.

I actually love the current handling, but it's probably too "simulation" for the majority of people who want to pick up a destruction derby racing game called "Wreckfest" and just smash things.

The only things in the current build that bug me are the jump/landing physics and the online lag on dedicated servers (being in New Zealand, it's hard for me to find a server under 250~ ping, and dedicated servers seem to introduce a lot more lag than player hosted servers do). That plus the very small online community, where during US times, we can't even fill one server with people any more.

Even though I love the handling, i'd love to see it made more accessable so that I could have more people to race against, anyone new to the game literally can't compete with the faster guys, as there's a steep learning curve. I also think parts management and having to win against boring AI in single player in order to buy all the cars and parts, before joining multiplayer, is a chore that a lot of new people don't really want to do, it would be nice to just have access to all of the cars/parts by default in multiplayer.

It also needs to be easier for people to join modded servers in multiplayer, currently people have to find and install all of the mods needed, it would be nice if when someone wants to join a server, it showed a popup asking you if you want to install the required mods, then the game installs them and puts you in the server, automatically.

The UI needs a drastic overhaul as well, which I think you're already aware of/working on, but the current UI is pretty awful, and not intuitive at all.

That's all I can think of at the moment :)
Xeon e3-1231v3, 16GB, GTX 970, Win10 64bit, Xbox 360 Pad

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks EngiGuy and Hoppen for the detailed feedback, it's very much appreciated.

For me personally, both from a developer point of view but also as a player, I could echo pretty much everything Hoppen said, I feel like it's a pretty much spot-on analysis.

TheEngiGuy

I kinda like the actual simcade handling. People who want the handling to be more arcadey could always enable assists, especially since they will be more effective in the next update.
I'm sure people who stopped playing because of the "harder" handling will come back for that update.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:54:39 PM by TheEngiGuy »

conso1727

Also, another piece of text still regarding the poll:
For a game being called Wreckfest there isn't much of an advantage by wrecking at least in regular racing. Not like I dislike it, I enjoy both cleaner and dirty racing, but the lack of a race mode that strongly encourages crashing over racing really makes itself feel.
Also the thing I am the most looking forward to is more content and a career mode, I'm not much of an online player (I added that in the poll, so maybe I'm a bit redundant), especially the career mode.

TheEngiGuy

Also, another piece of text still regarding the poll:
For a game being called Wreckfest there isn't much of an advantage by wrecking at least in regular racing. Not like I dislike it, I enjoy both cleaner and dirty racing, but the lack of a race mode that strongly encourages crashing over racing really makes itself feel.
Also the thing I am the most looking forward to is more content and a career mode, I'm not much of an online player (I added that in the poll, so maybe I'm a bit redundant), especially the career mode.

This! But if I'm not wrong, the gamemode where you wreck others for points is being considered.

Also, for the love of god, Suicide Race!

Devin

Thanks EngiGuy and Hoppen for the detailed feedback, it's very much appreciated.

For me personally, both from a developer point of view but also as a player, I could echo pretty much everything Hoppen said, I feel like it's a pretty much spot-on analysis.
I can only sign that! I also pretty much agree with everything else said in this thread, so I think the poll might turn out reeeally productive :D

To specify what I think about Hoppen's analysis: The hard handling and steep learning curve really do cause most people to stop playing right after their first couple of races. But I think the promised new driving aids are already going to fix that trouble mostly! That, and maybe recommended or pre-defined car upgrade setups so that people who spin often don't just pick the locked diff because they are not aware what it does and then spin even more because of that.

Well, we'll see if the driving aids help with that :D

The Very End

First out, thanks for taking the time to fish out / look for opinons and listen to the communuty. I am a bit affraight that you will not reach everyone tho, as the ones that do not play anymore won't look on the forum anymore. Sending the request in emails to the community would be better to reach the masses.

Either way, let's start.

1, the physics:
The physics are about right now in terms of how the car behaves on input from users. It's not super realistic and it's not super arcade, it is something in between.
However, the physics in air, roll over physics, contact physics (walls etc) and collision physics need some tweaking. The name is Wreckfest and it should feel satisfying to hit other cars, making the spin, tumble over and generally being a little more "mad". It is a game and you can take artistic freedom.

2, the tracks:
The tracks you have made are not bad, they look stunningly good and I applaud you for the great work you have done to them. However, I guess it is one of those moments when you realize that even if a track, or idea, from the real life is awesome it might not give the same feeling in the game. I love folkracing in real life, but at same time I see that it won't work (at least not in current format) for the masses in game. As the physics, adding some "mad" elements to the tracks would create som entertainment.
But ultimately, the modding tools are good so we can make ourselves what we need if you do not agree with above :)

3, career:
Yes please! And the ability to make custom career (simple track / game mode list). Need to be able to random select from a list of pre-defined tracks.

4, multiplayer:
Auto downloadable mods, cross platform playing, easier spectator mods / veiws and so on.

5, misc:
Option to chose AI cars (random, of one class, one type of car / same as player car), more weather and weather options, random selection of tracks, more game modes,  generally just more OPTIONS to play with.