Author Topic: Wreckfest not starting under Vista.  (Read 688 times)

Purple44

I used be able to run my second copy of Wreckfest ( bought under a different Steam user account ) installed on second computer with Win Vista. Used this second game to test LAN mode.

But it been over year now since Wreckfest stop working on Vista computer. Today I did a fresh install. I deleted the \Bugbear Entertainment folder and the userdata  \228380 folder. And I get the Wreckfest_x64.exe has stopped working error. Same if I start the 32bit version.

I did try adding the '-setup' command through Steam launch option and game crashes before I see startup options screen.

I'm curious, are there other Vista players that still can get Wreckfest to start and run? Bugbear Devs, do you keep a Vista computer to test new Builds to see if game still runs?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:09:44 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

DD-Indeed

Usually it's only about, that you should have some additional things installed to older Windows in order for it to understand more modern stuff. But in this case, I would just give up, since no-one uses Vista anymore, everyone just tries to avoid and skip it completely due how bad it is. Heck, there's still even more Win XP users than Vista users. :D

But if you're still wanting to try, I would start to search more about running modern apps/games on Vista, some people might have done some addition packages to that system (but that's just pure luck, if there's any, I can't just imagine anyone doing that really).

Purple44

Usually it's only about, that you should have some additional things installed to older Windows in order for it to understand more modern stuff. But in this case, I would just give up, since no-one uses Vista anymore, everyone just tries to avoid and skip it completely due how bad it is. Heck, there's still even more Win XP users than Vista users. :D

But if you're still wanting to try, I would start to search more about running modern apps/games on Vista, some people might have done some addition packages to that system (but that's just pure luck, if there's any, I can't just imagine anyone doing that really).

My Vista computer is my old gaming computer from 2008-2012 ( GRID 1, TDU2 ). I now use it for surfing the internet and use a anti-virus program ( Avast ) I won't use Avast with my current gaming computer. I don't use anti virus program on my gaming computer and don't surf with my gaming computer.

Agree Win XP and Win 7 better than Vista.

Wreckfest does not run on Win XP anymore, I'm wondering if Wreckfest can still run on Vista? If there a player out there that can still run WF on Vista, then I will know that something change with my Vista to stop Wreckfest from starting.

Purple44

Janne, can you confirm Wreckfest sill start under Vista in the studio?

Purple44

Bumping thread, Janne we need Bugbear to confirm Wreckfest will still run under Wreckfest?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/1488866180608928058/?tscn=1511691649

Quote from: Gui²
Hello all !

I just baugth "next car game" with steam and  when i launch it i have "Wreckfest_x64 has stoped worked". if i try with 32bit i have "Wreckfest_x32 has stoped worked".

What can i do for resolve it ?

My computer:
Quad CPU Q8200 2.33 Ghz
4go ram
GTX560 ti
Windows Vista 64 bits

Thank for your help!

Quote from: Purple44;1488866180609315232
I'm thinking Wreckfest is broken when it come to running under Vista.

Wreckfest ran fine back in 2014, but since the June 2015 update with the new graphics rendering, Wreckfest stop loading. Was hoping Bugbear would get this fix, but seem it still a problem.

I just uninstall Wreckfest on my Vista computer and did fresh install again and it still a no go. :(  I did do a bug report back in Dec 2016 and never got a response from Janne. Will bump my thread and see if I can get Janne attention this week:

Wreckfest not starting under Vista.

System Requirements

Minimum:
        Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon™ X2 2.5 GHz
        Memory: 4 GB RAM
        Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce® GTX™ 460 or AMD Radeon™ HD 6450
        DirectX: Version 11
        Storage: 4 GB available space
        Sound Card: DirectX®-compatible

Bugbear still has Vista listed, so they need to confirm that Wreckfest still works with Vista and what you might need to update to get Wreckfest to work under Vista.

If you don't get word of a fix in the next week, be sure to go get your refund before time runs out.

St. Jimmy

Well it works on my parents old Vista computer so people are likely missing something like DirectX files or some required .dll. At least I was missing two .dll files when I tried BagEdit but after getting those everything worked.
Try launch BagEdit to see if it throws some error of missing files and get them from Windows site. One place where it also could read what's missing is checking Event Viewer..
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Purple44

Thanks Jimmy for the reminder about Bagedit. We just had a thread about getting Bagedit working. http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,10252.0.html

Yes, the files mentioned in op are not part of Wreckfest but Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2015 redist, so if you're missing the files try downloading and installing the redist.

I did the install of Microsoft Visual Studio. but this did not work for me. Had to steal the VCRUNTIME and MSVCP140 files from Win10 and put into Bagedit's folder. This got Bagedit to load, at least Task Manager showed it was running, but I get no window.

But Wreckfest still not starting. I tried starting Wreckfest from it folder, not Steam and I get a message Wreckfest can't find d3d11.dll.  I use dxdiag and it tell me Vista is only at Directx 10. I thought at one time I had updated my Vista to Dx11, but guess not.

I tried copying over the d3d11.dll file from Win10, but Wreckfest still says d3d11.dll not found, even thou file is in same folder.

I thought the 32 bit version of Wreckfest is only running Dx9? If so, should not 32bit version of WF run under Vista with Dx10?

Well, I will be Building a new gaming computer next spring, then I can run my second copy of Wreckfest from my old current gaming computer using Win7.

St. Jimmy

Try install DriectX from Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/179113/how-to-install-the-latest-version-of-directx

"DirectX 11.0 is available for Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2, with KB971512 installed."
You might even been missing the right update or service pack from your computer.
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Purple44

Ya I tried Microsoft site last night and get this after clicking 64bit download link:  We're sorry, this download is no longer available.

I downloaded a Vista directx11 file from Guru, see if I can get it to install.

Purple44

I downloaded Vista-DX11-patch-[Guru3D.com].msu from Guru3d: 
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/microsoft-windows-vista-directx-11-update.html

But get this error when I try to install it:

At this Guru thread, says I need "Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB971512)":

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/microsoft-windows-vista-directx-11-update.307810/page-3

morbias said: ?

Guys getting the error on 64-bit Vista, try the 64-bit download direct from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=e2da6ef8-92b6-4370-9e22-2c05a8c37ab0

Thanks very much my good old friend :) , this was what i was looking for and could not find it ,cheers M8 :thumbup: , installed flawlessly in my windows Vista x64 HD.

Regards: Angelo.

But I have this update already. But downloaded it again from Microsoft, Windows6.0-KB971512-x64.msu. I ran it and it installed and now dxdiag says I have 10.1.

Tried to install the Vista directx11 update but still get same error. But went ahead and tried to load Wreckfest. 32bit version don't start, but the 64bit runs again.  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:05:52 AM by Purple44 »

Heddly

I downloaded Vista-DX11-patch-[Guru3D.com].msu from Guru3d: 
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/microsoft-windows-vista-directx-11-update.html

But get this error when I try to install it:

At this Guru thread, says I need "Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB971512)":

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/microsoft-windows-vista-directx-11-update.307810/page-3

morbias said: ?

Guys getting the error on 64-bit Vista, try the 64-bit download direct from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=e2da6ef8-92b6-4370-9e22-2c05a8c37ab0

Thanks very much my good old friend :) , this was what i was looking for and could not find it ,cheers M8 :thumbup: , installed flawlessly in my windows Vista x64 HD.

Regards: Angelo.

But I have this update already. But downloaded it again from Microsoft, Windows6.0-KB971512-x64.msu. I ran it and it installed and now dxdiag says I have 10.1.

Tried to install the Vista directx11 update but still get same error. But went ahead and tried to load Wreckfest. 32bit version don't start, but the 64bit runs again.  :)

Did you try running Windows Update to see if there my be other updates that might be needed to run Wreckfest?

@ St. Jimmy
Is your paents' Vista computer updated?