Author Topic: Why Bugbear?  (Read 3830 times)

Purple44

i AM saying that this game is for EVERYONE

Sure the game is for everyone, but we missing out on really many players becuse of the name of the game "Wreckfest" tbh, there are not racers that buy this game, becuse many thinks you cant race in it sadly, it was a bigger variant just when B6 came becuse many already had the game then when its was called "Next car game" (I know they renamed the game to WF in B6) but that was when we starting to lose a specific playerbase sadly. And thats annoying me even today and thats why I only like to call it NCG and not WF. :)

Players that like to race on the cleaner side, I don't think will enjoy racing online right now ( unless they find Ben server ). Back when we first got to race online with Build #6, there were a lot of hosts. So we had a variety of types of hosts to choose from. The clean players could find some clean racing hosts, The chaos racers and wreckers were hanging out at the oval track and us that like trade some paint was hanging out at the Gravel 1 track. And the derby guys could actually find some derby hosts.

Now it hard for a clean racer or a derby player to find their kind of host online. With only 1 or 2 hosts to pick from ( not counting this week with the new Build, online been busy ), you going find a variety players in the host. You will find players that try racing clean, players that try to race on the cleaner side, but if you bump them off the track, watch out, players that come in wanting to race rough, the game is called Wreckfest and players like me, I race rough on the oval and figure 8 tracks, try race cleaner on the other tracks, but I do like to trade some paint and I don't mind if there some players that want cause some trouble ( chaos ) on track, like Frank.

If game was called Next Car Game instead of Wreckfest, that would not change the situation we have had online since things die down online with the long delay for Build #7 to get release in late June of 2015. Clean racer types are not going find Wreckfest online to friendly for them. At least with the name of Wreckfest, if a clean racer does buy the game, they know what they are in for on the track. If game was still called Next Car Game, how many complaint posts would we see from clean racers that they can't find any clean host to race on now, especially if you are a US player and would want a refund?

I would love to do some clean racing over at Ben server, but with 260 PING, I get steering lag, which is very bad for clean, bumper to bumper racing.  :(

First time I did a 18+ oval race online with Build #6 and all that chaos, I thought Wreckfest was a good choice for a name! And a good share of players bought NCG for the soft body damage we did not have before in our racing games!! Next Car Game does not hint at that kind of damage like the Wreckfest name does.

When we get final release version next year and online is hopping again, we should be back to having a variety of host types that will make everybody happy and maybe a clean racing league will get going. And a bump to pass league. And a banger racing league. Maybe Bugbear will release some stat tool for online to help the leagues out? Keep track of who finish where in a txt file.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Rowdy Burns

Well as a new customer to Bugbear and looking to race both clean and dirty (depending on how I feel on the day!) I think the name Wreckfest fits the game perfectly!

BenDover

Well as a new customer to Bugbear and looking to race both clean and dirty (depending on how I feel on the day!) I think the name Wreckfest fits the game perfectly!

Can you please define what makes you think "wreckfest" attracts more clean racers? Becuse for me that dosent make any sence.
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

Rowdy Burns

Can you please define what makes you think "wreckfest" attracts more clean racers? Becuse for me that dosent make any sence.

A knowledge of the motorsport!

raceclimb

look, in case i was somehow mis-understood. i'm NOT interested in the "clean vrs dirty fight" i do both

nor am i interested in "credntials". Despite the # of hours i have in game, the number of players i know and talk to on a regular basis (,amy of whom hate each other) , even the entire WALL of text books on racing and my very real trophy case mean NOTHING if we are even to simply discuss clean racing. I don't spend enough time doing it in this game to even PRETEND i know all the solutions.

i do know THIS: if each "cheat" is examined by a wide range of players willing to see it from "both sides" it will all work out fine

HOWEVER: i spend enough time out there, and see enough to know full well there is a specific "exploit" the trolls can use with just a simple bump if ONLY someone would be stupid enough to post it up

consider how VERY rarely i actually post on this forum

there IS something i'm trying very hard to get some of you to see

a computer program cannot do what experience and familliarity with the individual players can

and as it stands today even a simple bump is poised to ruin it for a lot of clean racers even if there were NOT ONE troll on track

the dirty guys stand to loose out too

fun, fair not too draconian and well thought out for all

that's all i'm asking for

lastbreath

Because some idiot decided, that the game had to be a f#$ng sim. :(

sam223

Wreckfest has always tried to be more realistic than flatout 2/3/UC,since the very start. Its a good thing imo as there plenty of other arcade games. Burnout/gass guzzlers extreme/blur/dirt showdown/carmageddon etc etc etc but there are no racing games with simulation style driving and car damage.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

CrashsTestsFr

Wreckfest has always tried to be more realistic than flatout 2/3/UC,since the very start. Its a good thing imo as there plenty of other arcade games. Burnout/gass guzzlers extreme/blur/dirt showdown/carmageddon etc etc etc but there are no racing games with simulation style driving and car damage.

I like the realistic way Wreckfest is using. Sorry for being your idiot.
Type : Laptop MSI GT70
CPU : i7-4700MQ
GPU : nVidia GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 + Intel Integrated GPU
RAM : 8GB DDR3 (4GB * 2)
Controller : Xbox360 pad or G27

lastbreath

All that games have different style! They can't be compared to FO. Burnout - city racing, Guzzlers - gun racing, S/S - exploding obstacles racing, Showdown - simply old and has not enough content. But even so, I don't understand why series beloved for arcade racing should be turned into borring sim? According to your logic - don't we have enough sims? Autosport, Rally, Project Cars, Corsa?

I was hoping that at last I would delete FO1 from my harddrive after 10 years. But no, FO1 still has no substitutes...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:29:57 PM by lastbreath »

TheEngiGuy

Wreckfest was always going to go back to Bugbear's roots. Before Flatout 2 and Glimmerati, their games were mostly simcade games with accurate car physics.

lastbreath

Wreckfest was always going to go back to Bugbear's roots. Before Flatout 2 and Glimmerati, their games were mostly simcade games with accurate car physics.

You really should replay FO1. Wreckfest only looks like FO1, but there are no "roots" inside. With sim handling we can say, that true FO is officially dead.
Fun tracks with ramps, shortcuts and crossings can save the situation, but tracks also tend to be realistic!!!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 03:44:16 PM by lastbreath »

sam223

All that games have different style! They can't be compared to FO. Burnout - city racing, Guzzlers - gun racing, S/S - exploding obstacles racing, Showdown - simply old and has not enough content. But even so, I don't understand why series beloved for arcade racing should be turned into borring sim? According to your logic - don't we have enough sims? Autosport, Rally, Project Cars, Corsa?

I was hoping that at last I would delete FO1 from my harddrive after 10 years. But no, FO1 still has no substitutes...
I agree those games are a different style.Guns/no guns etc however they all use similar driving styles,detached from reality just different settings and cars. I also agree there are too many circuit racing simulations. However wreckfest is nothing like rfactor/asseto corsa/iracing/project cars etc etc,none of those games feature softbody or even semi realistic vehicle damage or attempt to replicate this style of racing (they all serious circuit racing with flag rules). Thats where wreckfest stands alone, semi realistic driving,semi realistic race tracks but no flag rules and car damage.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:18:04 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Purple44

I agree those games are a different style.Guns/no guns etc however they all use similar driving styles,detached from reality just different settings and cars. I also agree there are too many circuit racing simulations. However wreckfest is nothing like rfactor/asseto corsa/iracing/project cars etc etc,none of those games feature softbody or even semi realistic vehicle damage or attempt to replicate this style of racing (they all serious circuit racing with flag rules). Thats where wreckfest stands alone, semi realistic driving,semi realistic race tracks but no flag rules and car damage.

And no tire wear and having to know how to properly "setup" your car to be competitive on a track. Bugbear close to finding the sweet spot for a simcade rough racing game. :)

Offline, I can see where Flatout players would like see more "fun" in Wreckfest. But online, there a lot good racing to be had be on the rough side or cleaner side and almost always more than 8 players to race and derby and you can add some bots too. We got up to 19 players in Heddly host last Saturday night at one point. :)
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

lastbreath

Even so, sim racing # borring tracks. At least developers could create some mad tracks for fan racing.

DragonFly track from DDRaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUe2CCxw8Zc&feature=youtu.be&t=330

20 years old game has better tracks!

sam223

Even so, sim racing # borring tracks. At least developers could create some mad tracks for fan racing.

DragonFly track from DDRaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUe2CCxw8Zc&feature=youtu.be&t=330

20 years old game has better tracks!

Its a real balancing act though in wreckfest. In DD/flatout/burnout/dirtshowdown etc there are no soft bodies. Just pre staged damage or some vert movement on models. So you drop from 10 feet or 10,000 feet the car wont damage any differently. You crash at 100mph or the speed of light,the outcome to the car is the same.
Wreckfest is different because it uses soft bodies (and soft bodies require damage based on momentum physics which can scale i.e 1-1000 rather than 1,2,3,4,5),a 10 foot drop and a 10,000 foot drop causing significantly different amounts of damage to the softbody visually and collision box. The only way around it would be to cap the amount of damage that momentum can cause (they already do this) but where do you set that cap? very low so cars can manage huge hits/drops and keep driving,but then visual damage isnt impressive (dentfest) or do you have it capped significantly higher (like now) where big momentum = big damage and small momentum = small damage

If you want to compare wreckfest to anything,it should be beamNG (wreckfest damage system is like beamNG lite)

Have a play of the wreckfest DD mod and you will see what i mean,where the huge jumps dont always work like they did in the original DD http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=688649575
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:10:33 PM by sam223 »