Author Topic: Cockpit view, FOV & removable steering wheel please  (Read 11535 times)

Purple44

How can you possibly hate the cockpit view in FO 2 and UC? Neither game has one :P lol

Are you positive there no cockpit view in Flatout 2 ( or Flatout 1 )??  ;)

[pics]

Mods don't count. If that's not a mod then please elaborate on how you've accomplished this.

Ya those pics were taken using camera mods for FO1 and FO2.

PC players like there cockpit view. PC players got all upset at Codemasters for dropping cockpit view from GRID 2!!!!  :o
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Nokikana

Blah.
Blah.
Blah.

Blah.

PC players like there cockpit view. PC players got all upset at Codemasters for dropping cockpit view from GRID 2!!!!  :o

Including me. ^

Usmovers_02

Cockpit view in games is a strange thing. Personally I love the feature. I think MOST people do to. But cockpit view does drastically reduce track visibility. I think that's a major reason that (according to Codies) less than 10% of players use the view. I'm willing to be that 60-70% really LIKE the feature. I'm also willing to be that cockpit view is a pretty big selling point even for people who end up not using it.

That's why I think codies made a big mistake not keeping cockpit view. It may be true that very few people use it but a lot of people still wanted it in the game. And what's this? GRID 2 isn't selling nearly as well as GRID 1. Obviously cockpit view isn't the ONLY reason for that but I'm willing to bet it's certainly a big part. I remember one GamesRadar writer even had the nerve to call the game a true revolution in racing games. It turned out to be an above average generic mess.

Tonza

Sometimes i don't use cockpit view because then i can't see my car what i'm driving

Purple44

Cockpit view in games is a strange thing. Personally I love the feature. I think MOST people do to. But cockpit view does drastically reduce track visibility. I think that's a major reason that (according to Codies) less than 10% of players use the view. I'm willing to be that 60-70% really LIKE the feature. I'm also willing to be that cockpit view is a pretty big selling point even for people who end up not using it.

That's why I think codies made a big mistake not keeping cockpit view. It may be true that very few people use it but a lot of people still wanted it in the game. And what's this? GRID 2 isn't selling nearly as well as GRID 1. Obviously cockpit view isn't the ONLY reason for that but I'm willing to bet it's certainly a big part. I remember one GamesRadar writer even had the nerve to call the game a true revolution in racing games. It turned out to be an above average generic mess.

Reason why PC did not get cockpit view in GIRD 2, because console could not handle doing cockpit view and the new eye candy Codemasters wanted to do:

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/GRID-2-General-Discussion/With-regards-to-cockpit-view-a-statement-from-Executive-Producer/m-p/17778/highlight/true#M165

"We certainly don't want to alienate any of our fans we want to deliver truly exciting features that 100% of our players will enjoy. Videogame development is always about trade-offs and in this case, taking the hard decision to lose the in-car views for 5% of our players (and remember we still have bonnet cam and bumper cam, which many people with racing wheels use), is something we felt was more beneficial to everyone. They are expensive to run due to the requirement for high-resolution interior textures which are seen close-up and require a considerable amount of in-game memory (to store) and processing (to render).

What this means in practice is that the benefit to our vehicle models, environment models and the hundreds of other things in the environment sapping memory, is huge. By making this educated call, we can use the extra available memory to make the on-track racing a truly mind-blowingly immersive experience.

For example, we can author and run higher resolution vehicle models with more detailed geometry. We can feature higher resolution external vehicle textures and work further detail into our environment textures. We can dedicate more processing power to our improved physics systems, integral to the GRID 2 experience, and push other systems to the next level, such as particles and real-time lighting. And there are many more benefits."

Most gaming computers had plenty of memory to handle cockpit view in GRID 2. There some mods out already. Codies created a lot of bad press with dropping cockpit view from GIRD 2. On the PC side, I thing there was more than 5% that used cockpit view.

Usmovers_02

I can't see the PC percentage spiking too much but it wouldn't surprise me if the number was higher than on consoles. Either way, they cut a popular enough feature for it to hurt their reputation. I remember during Codies Xbox days and early 360 days you could pretty much guarantee if it said Codies on the box it wasn't just a great game... it set the bar. Now we get FUEL, Damnation, a million Dirts and... GRID 2. None of them are truly BAD games but Codies has fallen far IMO.

I miss TOCA!!

Purple44

I can't see the PC percentage spiking too much but it wouldn't surprise me if the number was higher than on consoles. Either way, they cut a popular enough feature for it to hurt their reputation. I remember during Codies Xbox days and early 360 days you could pretty much guarantee if it said Codies on the box it wasn't just a great game... it set the bar. Now we get FUEL, Damnation, a million Dirts and... GRID 2. None of them are truly BAD games but Codies has fallen far IMO.

I miss TOCA!!

I take exception with FUEL ( develop by Asobo, publisher Codemasters ). I enjoy FUEL as free roaming game. It had some issues that needed fixing. Number one issue was the stupid idea that host could only host one race at a time. After race was over, host and other players were put back into free roam mode and host had to restart his host with a new track and hope the other players would rejoin for another race. GRRRRRRR!!!!

One Saturday we did a 6 hour trip ( with some pit stops ) across the FUEL map, We started with over 20 players, 8 players made it to the finish.

Here a few pics from FUEL ( tip: right click pic, select view image to see full side pic, no scrolling  ):

Can he make it, I think I can, I think I can.

Here pic of one of the map sections in FUEL. FUEL was a huge world to free roam in. It a shame online racing did not pan out.

Usmovers_02

Oh I definitely agree that FUEL is a very fun game. I know it wasn't developed by Codemasters but even still, the game doesn't meet the very high standard I used to expect from a title with Codies brand stamped on it. I miss when I could blindly purchase a codies game and know I was getting something special as I did with the original GRID. They STILL make/publish well above average games but they're going backwards fast IMO.

Purple44

Oh I definitely agree that FUEL is a very fun game. I know it wasn't developed by Codemasters but even still, the game doesn't meet the very high standard I used to expect from a title with Codies brand stamped on it. I miss when I could blindly purchase a codies game and know I was getting something special as I did with the original GRID. They STILL make/publish well above average games but they're going backwards fast IMO.

Ya, have to agree, Codemasters been on a slippery slope downwards after releasing one the best online racers in GRID 1 in 2008. And going over the cliff with the online in GRID 2. :( GRID 2 was the first Codemasters racing game I have bought since GRID 1 and only bought GRID 2 because it was on a summer Steam sale.  GFWL stop me from buying DIRT 2 & 3 and DIRT Showdown was not worth buying after playing the demo. Would of like to done DIRT 3 "tag" mode online thou.

I miss the close, great racing with 12 good players online with the Lacetti we use to have until the GRID 1 online servers got turn off.

We had on our Christmas skins for that day of 5 lap touring car racing online.

Will Codemasters turn things around and truly listen to their fans?

Codemasters test subjects - come play games

Loore:

The name may need a little work but then I'm no Cave Johnson, we'll think of something snazzy later.

It's no secret that you are all some of the most passionate players that I've seen, not just for our own titles but within the wider gaming world as well. Your dedication to the GRID cause is exemplary.

One of the things I'm keen on doing now is getting you involved at a much earlier stage. We're a games company and as such development never stops, there's always something cooking in the background, be it something small that is being experimented on or something much bigger like our next big release.

While I appreciate the feedback you give once a game is released I want to start getting that feedback now, on things that we've not even talked about yet, let alone released.

This is an opportunity for you to come to our HQ (Southam, CV47 2DL, UK) and give us your feedback and most importantly, help shape the future of our games.

Naturally you will be under a strict NDA which means that anything you see, play, touch, smell and taste will not be allowed to be talked about.

I'm hoping to get the first group of people in soon so if you are interested please can do you email me at gridgame@codemasters.com the following information:

Name
    Why you want to come and tell us what we're doing wrong (or right!)
    Very brief racing game experience
    Your one sentence review of GRID 2
    Your forum alias (just so I know who you are)

Look forward to hearing from you  :)
--------------------------------------------------
Codemasters Community Manager

Codemasters has lost the trust of it fan base they created over the last 10 years, it going be tough winning us back after what happen with GRID 2.

Usmovers_02

I can't speak for the online aspects of DIRT 2 and 3 being an offline gamer myself but the signs of Codemasters fall from grace are clearly evident. While they were both fine games, even well above average, there were so many tiny things that were just "off" compared to previous titles. With DIRT 2 I thought they were trying something different with the atmosphere and focus and thought they'd clearly see the errors of there ways and get back on track with there next release which would surely be the much requested GRID 2... right? RIGHT?!? Oh yeah... we got DIRT 3 which seemingly focused on all the issues with D2 and magnified them.

All right, lol, I think that's enough Codies bashing for me for a while :P I used to love them! I think of all the companies that have lost my trust Codies has the best chance of getting it back! Ubisoft has lost my trust for good even though they continue to put out games I enjoy :(. Even Valve is starting to REALLY concern me. STEAM is awesome, Portal is amazing and L4D is fun... but what the heck is Steam Box and where the #%^& is their flagship franchise?!?

On topic though: I'm really really looking forward to playing my first racing game with a detailed in car view and I don't have to worry about getting a penalty for lightly tapping someone's bumper!