Author Topic: Track mods  (Read 1025 times)

Burillo

Hi all,

I'm new to using Flatout 2 mods, and i have no idea which mod is which, so i figured it would be quicker to ask. Is there a single modpack that has lots of new tracks (not new locations, just more routes, maybe snow variants as well), and nothing else? I don't want the "UI enhancements", new cars, new game modes, new AI, etc. - i want to keep the Flatout 2 vanilla experience, just add a few tracks to it for the purposes of playing them in multiplayer.

If such a modpack exists, where do i get it, and does it work with LAN multiplayer?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:41:18 PM by Burillo »

Purple44

Hi, give this thread a read:  Looking for old FlatOut 2 mods.

and Just Picked Up Flatout 2. Woohoo! What do I need to know?

Yes the FOJ community mod will work with Flatout 2 LAN mode. All players will need to load the same bfs files, except for safe skins files.

The FOJ community mod does come with custom cars, but you don't have use them. But you might like some the custom cars that the car modders made at Flatout Joint.  :D

Be sure tryout my GRID Derby Race Short track ( found in purplepack and the fig8 track pack ):

If need some help, post.  :)
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Burillo

I've checked out the mod, and there doesn't seem to be a way to install just tracks (OK i am even willing to accept new cars as part of the deal, but nothing more), rather it seems that other "enhancements" are a prerequisite to using the new stuff. At least i didn't find a way to do install tracks without everything else. Is there an easy way to turn all of this weekend photoshoppery GUI stuff off and just keep the new content, or do i have to manually edit the mod files for that to happen?

Purple44

I believe the bfs files for the FOJ Community Mod for Flatout 2 have been locked. So nobody could mess with our mod. Also the database file was tweak so we could add extra custom tracks to FO2. Without these tweaks, my custom tracks would had to over write the stock tracks.

And a lot other tweaks were done to the database file to make the enhancements the community mod brought to FO2. So even if unpacked the bfs files, it would not be easy to get rid of the other stuff in the community mod and still have a working mod.

Burillo

thanks. no new tracks for me then :( i never understood why mod creators feel the need to mutilate a perfectly good game with their mad UI design skillz, and bundle it up with actual new content without a way to keep the original experience...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:56:18 PM by Burillo »

Purple44

thanks. no new tracks for me then :( i never understood why mod creators feel the need to mutilate a perfectly good game with their mad UI design skillz, and bundle it up with actual new content without a way to keep the original experience...

But it a community mod, a lot of hands added their part to the community mod, be it small or big. And mod was made for us at Flatout Joint and we were willing to share our efforts at modding FO2. Community mod still getting 10 downloads a day. :)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/stats

"mad UI design skillz", I take it you are referring to the loading screens and the main menu where we let players know this is a mod from Flatout Joint?

There are a few individuals out there that will steal a mod and call mod their own. You would begrudge us watermarking our mod, that we have spent many, many hours putting together?

Burillo

But it a community mod, a lot of hands added their part to the community mod, be it small or big. And mod was made for us at Flatout Joint and we were willing to share our efforts at modding FO2. Community mod still getting 10 downloads a day. :)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/stats

...and this is relevant how?

"mad UI design skillz", I take it you are referring to the loading screens and the main menu where we let players know this is a mod from Flatout Joint?

There are a few individuals out there that will steal a mod and call mod their own. You would begrudge us watermarking our mod, that we have spent many, many hours putting together?

people who want to do so, will do so anyway. you want a watermark, put it somewhere in the game files (or add a "credits" menu item), not in user's face. there's a reason why a game looks a certain way - someone got paid to design the menus, the color scheme, the backgrounds, the overall picture balance etc., someone who knew what they're doing. to replace it with a personification of "this looks shopped" meme was really unnecessary.

look, i'm not discounting the work done by modders - mods are cool, mods take time and effort, all that. it's just that sometimes modders do something that isn't really necessary for mod's operation (like changing backgrounds, loadscreens, and otherwise shoving in user's face how great a modder HumanToilet69 is), and expect people to "be grateful" because they've wasted so much time creating this thing that looks like crap and ruins the perfectly fine game experience, and bundle it up with something that's actually great (new tracks or cars).

but anyway, thanks for your help. guess i'll stay on vanilla then.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:24:56 PM by Burillo »

frenchman

Hello
I think it is possible to install mods and then remake the appearance of the game at the origin. :) Simply by saving the images of the menu before adding a mods (data> menu).
As for putting a part of a mods (even with a custom editor) it remains impossible (one can not delete a line on the database file / neither on the original one / neither on the firsts ones Mods)

https://vk.com/photo380786717_456239049