Author Topic: Wreckfest track tutorial 05 - Adjusting AI paths and cameras  (Read 362 times)

The Very End

Greetings!
Today we will look at how to adjust the AI paths and cameras. Before you ask - yes, we did lay down the AI paths in a other episode, however, the path we layed down only tells that the whole green area is OK but not specifies what the ideal line is. Therefor we have to adjust that manually in the tcat files. The tcat files also specifies the trackside cameras.

First out in the video you will see that I create the cameras, or more precise, I simply create some boxes without collisions and assign transparent textures to them. I do this to get the x/y/z coordinates (which I will use later). When that is done I launch the game (I assume you have exported the track allready) because it's inside the game you have the visual editor when adjusting the ideal AI line. To get this editor up I press the "|" button, but really, different keyboard layouts different keys, so I am not sure what that transelates to on your keyboard. Mine is set to norwegian keyboard.

With this editor open I first chose to see the actually AI lines (press right keyboard when the preferable menu option is highlightes). I then adjust something (you will have to at least do one adjustment to be able to save) and save the files. Now, here comes to fun part: The tcat file is saved to wrong directionary. We have reported this but currently there is no fix to it. You therefor have to drag that file from bugbear's main folder / "data / property / track" to an mod with same folder structure.

Now that that is done, you can start adjusting the cameras (or the AI paths if you want, but that is much better to do in the in-game editor). As you see I use those cams I created in 3ds max earlier to get the coordinates for the cameras (you can delete these later if you want, as they serve no purpose other than give you the x/y/z coordinates). One thing to notice is that max uses "Z" axis as vertical axis, while the tcat file uses Y for this. Therefor remember to switch the y/z when going from 3ds max to tcat. Also you have a range of other options in the tcat file, you can play around with all sorts of camera settings, zoom and how the cameras are activated. In derbies you might not need sector activation but play around with the range of the various cameras.

When the cameras are all set you have to save the file and re-launch the game to see the effects. As you notice in the video it looks like the car is flying in air, that's just because the track is set to 0 thickness so you won't see it from the side veiw. When looking from above it would be vissible.

Lastly, you notice that I get the wrong way driving that causes the checkpoints / laptime to be all bugged? Look at the very end of the video, I then add the custom property of "otherway = true" (without the " ) to the main route path. If you get the error message on your track it's likely this is the issue.

But enough chat, try these things out yourself! :)
The files: https://mega.nz/#!lwxHFbbZ!fJleIVj0RmwEKVX6GaRsDxcrU96j8F0qykugVlmjfPU
Video:

Edit: Forgot to mention that to get in the freeflying mode I press F11 ingame.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 05:09:10 PM by The Very End »

MarcellusW

Now, here comes to fun part: The tcat file is saved to wrong directionary. We have reported this but currently there is no fix to it. You therefor have to drag that file from bugbear's main folder / "data / property / track" to an mod with same folder structure.

Copying the .tcat file from the ExampleTrack to "mymod" folder and renaming it to "yourmod".tcat will allow you to tweak the file within your Mod folder.
Game will create .tcat file in data/property only if no tcat file is present in your Mod folder.   :)

Purple44

Also after watching the AI and seeing AI get "lost" in a section of your track and decide to add a new AI sector to help keep the AI going in the right direction, this will mess up the tweaked AI race line in the saved tcat file. I had go back retweak some parts of the racing line.

But being able to customly tweak the AI race line has save me a lot of time and made it so I can get AI to race my tracks better than just using the red and green border lines in the AI sector.  :)

Before I had the in-game AI race line tool to use:

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel