Author Topic: Fuel spill and fire  (Read 1059 times)

audi4141

Hi Guy,

I like to see some fuel spill from ruptured fuel tanks and fire as a result.
It doesn't have to be excesive but it would be a nice detail to the game in my opinion.
nzxt s340 elite case with gigabyte ultra gaming MB,i5 6600k OC at 4.4Ghz.
Gigabyte xtreme gaming gtx1080.

thrustmaster t500 rs with ricmotec mod and th8a shifter on the wheelstand pro

RickyB

+1

Speaking of fire - could be cool, if, once a car is wrecked, the fire would grow bigger as it would in real life, instead of the small camp fire on the motor right now. Ultimately it would burn down the whole car - maybe an explosion of the gas tank in between or something. Every lap you drive by that wrecked car, the fire might look bigger until the whole car is on fire.  :)  If there are going to be night races, burning cars could light up the scenery.

crashkid3000

Speaking of fire - could be cool, if, once a car is wrecked, the fire would grow bigger as it would in real life, instead of the small camp fire on the motor right now. Ultimately it would burn down the whole car - maybe an explosion of the gas tank in between or something. Every lap you drive by that wrecked car, the fire might look bigger until the whole car is on fire.  :)  If there are going to be night races, burning cars could light up the scenery.

That might actually look cool but tbh, that's not what (I think) Wreckfest stands for. However, I don't mind to see an occasional burning wreck here and there but it shouldn't get too excessive, like the burning gas and oil strips from Crash n' Burn or the exploding cars from GTA. Make it so that usually, wrecked cars only emit steam from their engines and more rarely the engine block starts burning. In an even more rare case, the wreckage then should soon start being ablaze with an exolosion from the fuel tank marking the "apex" of the inferno. On a side note, the explosion should at most be half as big as the explosion of a car in the GTA series. I guess that roughly every tenth to fifteenth wrecked car should have it's engine burning (only if the engine or fuel tank are heavily damaged) and every fourth to fifth burning engine should set the car on fire.
... enjoys wrecking other cars

CPU: Intel i5 4460 (4 cores @ 3.2 GHz)
GPU: Gígabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 2 * 8GB DDR3-1600

Rowdy Burns

I`ve only ever seen one fire in all the real life races I`ve attended. Too much fire in the game would be a bad thing! I`d rather see proper looking sparks like from something dragging from the undercarriage or scraping the walls etc... just not over the top!!

DD-Indeed

I`ve only ever seen one fire in all the real life races I`ve attended. Too much fire in the game would be a bad thing! I`d rather see proper looking sparks like from something dragging from the undercarriage or scraping the walls etc... just not over the top!!

I agree too. Having too much fire will eventually become annoying and will disturb your vision.

sam223

+1 sparks would be great,especially when chassis is dragging or collisions with steel objects/punctures. Just not OTT.
Agree about fires aswell. Race cars dont explode like in GTA unless you set fire to the petrol tank. 99% of the time a engine fire starts due to a split hose/oil spill under the bonnet,and ignited by the heat of the engine. Fuel line split elsewhere = nothing happens.No spark or heat means no fire. Once a fire starts it usually burns out fast unless the engine keeps running or oil fire (which are slow burning)
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

RickyB

Yeah, some spark particle effect would be cool.

IF a car catches fire, the fire will most probably grow and consume the whole car (IRL). I don't get what anyone could have against fire. It would add to what this game needs - more spectacle, more action-movie atmosphere. I really believe, that's what most backers (Flatout fans) would like. For a lot of people it's really simple:
Smoking cars = kind of boring.  Burning cars and exploding gas tanks = awesome!
There will always be different views on how Wreckfest "should" be. IMHO Wreckfest could use a big spoon of "Hollywood Action Movie" (explosions and stuff). I would even go a step further than "just the cars" burning - Every wooden structure could catch fire if there's burning gas or a burning car close enough. Same goes for hay bails and such, maybe even tires. I'm just imagining crashing through them, burning hay bailes flying through the air.... wouldn't even be unrealistc, but super-awesome :) 
Quote BugBear: "It’s all about fun, breakneck racing and over-the-top crashes."   Fire and Explosions = FUN. A car that is just emitting some smoke = no fun. There should be some over-the-top elements. Fire would be a good opportunity to generate some more spectacle and fun.

Cars burn quite good...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:18:04 PM by RickyBøbby »

sam223

The video you showed ricky are of road cars,full of plastic and flammable interiors. Wreckfest cars don't have plastic or interiors.

It's long been an argument that the game needs to be more Hollywood action movie dramatic, but imo real life is much more spectacular than anything Hollywood would ever do.Theres always a limit with film type action,and you become desensitized, making it all look the same imo.Real life there is no limit to how dramatic it can be,even if it happens less often. BTW no one died in any of this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVqg-qs62cU
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

RickyB

I'd rather see bugbear do something over-the-top (and maybe for their fans?) than to insist on some self-imposed realism approach, childproofing all the cars and tracks.
We don't see a lot of fires in races, because mostly they get extinguished by firemen. Just imagine there would be no firefighter crew. I guess I just like fire, what can I say :). Race cars can burn as well. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:13:05 PM by RickyBøbby »

Rowdy Burns

If a race car catches fire, it`s Game Over!... Unless your Ken Block lol!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8roRkCYE-8

The next link contains all the fire, sparks, fireworks and even flashing lights I`d like to see in a Wreckfest championship finals race!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F18y4jO7EqM

sam223

Those videos you posted Rowdy Burns and RickyBøbby are much more like it. No OTT holywood explosions like the car is full of explosives. BTW its pretty easy to tweak the amount of fire and smoke at stages of damage/dnf in bag edit (.fxbp files). Vinpetrol increased them with the real2life mod. Just be aware that increasing the amount of particles does affect game performance when a lot are rendered on screen

Rowdy Burns

I don`t know about programming and computers but here`s a video link of sparks from popped tyres!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22KMBwo7yBs

I`ve seen people say grass is a problem to performance... Maybe a strand of grass for a spark?!! Like I said, I have no Idea lol

RickyB

That might actually look cool but tbh, that's not what (I think) Wreckfest stands for.

In other words - it would probably look cool, but Wreckfest is not supposed to be cool. ? ??? But I'd like a cool game  8)

It's long been an argument that the game needs to be more Hollywood action movie dramatic, ...

That would mean, a lot of people would like to see something like that. Shouldn't that be reason enough for BugBear to do something for those people? I can't just mod an action-movie-atmosphere into the game, but you would probably be able to mod it out again if you don't like it :)

Rowdy Burns

My favourite movie is Days of Thunder!... I don`t remember cars racing around on fire and the best part is the rental car scene! In fact...the only movie I remember a scene with a car on fire looking cool was in Christine and that ain`t no motorsport movie!
I like what Bugbear is doing at the moment and where Wreckfest is going, and I think the attention should be in the detail rather than turn it into some over the top "Hollywood action movie" type of game with fireballs!

RickyB

No one said anything about motorsport movies. There are lots of movies that feature car chases / car stunts where fire/flames/explosions as a spectacle element is involved in one way or the other. Just as an inspiration:

(doesn't always has to be fire... could also be water ;) )

The NextCarGame gameplay trailer featured explosions with a 'fireball' effect (ca. 1:55. 3 explosions in a row)... and sparks during collisions.
I don't think it's too far-fetched to ask BugBear to keep their advertised 'promises' :) I'd be happy if they did.

Youtube start at 1:55 --> https://youtu.be/jMXhbSao-lY?t=1m55s
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:59:32 PM by RickyBøbby »