Author Topic: Wheel unresponsive at start of the race in MP  (Read 810 times)

St. Jimmy

There are two kind of bugs I get:

1. Force feedback bugs usually after second race. So usually I can play one race and then I need to restart.

2. Whole car doesn't response wheel turning at start of the race so I'm just going straight for couple of first seconds. It usually catches on first corner at the latest.
The issue is pretty random. Wiggle the wheel in the lobby and before race start could lower the chance of that happening but it still happens sometimes no matter what.

Both require at least one additional player with you in the server. Playing with bots in multiplayer these issues don't happen.

These aren't nice bugs. The second one has been there for quite some time but the force feedback bug started to happen in the latest build.

Fanatec CSR Wheel

And I repeat again these bugs happen ONLY in multiplayer with at least one additional human player around.

//Edit: overlined the driver issue part and changed the header.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:31:00 AM by St. Jimmy »
Join WreckFest Discord!

Contribute to the WreckFest wiki!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Heddly

I have a Logitech G27 wheel with no problems. I have had problems with other games where the wheel would quit working and had to unplug the usb cable and reconnect to get the wheel to work again though.

Good luck with your problem.

St. Jimmy

Need to check if other software or firmware version is better for the game.
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Devin

I always had a G27 and it always worked great with Wreckfest. A possible problem really is that every single wheel is completely different to communicate with.
I have talked to an rFactor 2 dev about that problem. They have to write code specifically for each wheel, for example Logitech wheels rely on the Logitech profiler to run in the background or else the game can only receive the most basic input from Windows without sending anything important to the wheel, like proper FFB or wheel settings or something.
Other wheels turn out to be trickier and problems like this are quite common among all wheels and all games that support them. Often it's hard to find the cause and very often the cause is the driver itself.

The only thing you could try would be trying a different driver and/or windows (I'm running 7 which is probably the most stable one when it comes to that) or hope for Bugbear to find a workaround. Maybe the wheel simply takes a while to initialize in some cases. In that case a possible workaround would be to do that while loading the track instead of waiting for the race to start.

Often games try to reset the wheel everytime you try to drive to make sure the wheel's settings are all correct, but some wheels just need a few seconds to properly do that. While others do it instantly.

This is my best guess and since there will be monthly updates now, if there's actually code for that in the game, I'd suggest trying to temporarily disable it for the next build so that you can find out if that fixes the problem.

Literally the only thing that confuses me about this whole situation is the fact that your wheel doens't do this all the time, but only online when there are other cars running. Could be a bug in the game even, but that would still be linked to that specific part of the code that controls the wheel because other wheels don't have that problem

St. Jimmy

Driver 261 from Fanatec fixed #1 issue for me. Seems like I had a bad driver because the one I had isn't even downloadable anymore.

The #2 issue is still there so that's not a driver issue.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:49:36 AM by St. Jimmy »
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Rocket455Man

Hi!

Support Wreckfest multiple game controllers?

I have been thinking to mod the xbox etc. controller to the handbrake etc.
Nothing Beats Cubic Inches --- Bigger Is Better

Corsair Carbide Spec-03, AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer, Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz 6 Mb Cache, 2 x Asus Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb, Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 16 Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 Gb, Acer G276HL, Logitech G25, Win 7 Pro

St. Jimmy

Has BugBear checked this issue? Not too bad if the server is for dirty one but in clean server it can ruin races. Though it's not nice when it happens either way.
Gas and brakes work all the time, it's just the wheel that bugs sometimes. Not sure what triggers it.

Just raising this issue because I see there's new build around the corner.
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

St. Jimmy

I have a theory why this happens. Because I've my wireless USB keyboard (Microsoft 4000 if I remember right) and the Fanatec wheel, the game in multiplayer thinks that my main controller is the keyboard. Then until some certain time has passed when I've wiggeled the wheel, the game registers the wheel as the main controller. That's also the reason why doing something with the wheel before the race start usually helps to counter this issue but not always.

I realized this when I was playing singleplayer with both keyboard and wheel. I first played with the keyboard. Then I changed to the wheel on the fly in the middle of the race. Pedals worked but wheel didn't respond until something like 5s had passed. The symptoms are exactly the same (pedals work but wheel doesn't turn the car) that I can have in the multiplayer on race starts. I haven't really tested if the keyboard steering works on race starts in multplayer when this occurs.

Hopefully BugBear could eliminate this issue with this information.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:02:50 PM by St. Jimmy »
Join WreckFest Discord!

i7 2600K @ 4,7GHz
GTX 1070 8GB
16GB CL9 2133 MHz
750W PSU
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Fanatec CSR

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for the in-depth info, you're probably right and it's especially something noticeable in multiplayer since you often use the chat etc. with a keyboard.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Rocket455Man

Hi!

I tried to race my Logitech G25 with 900° rotation and feeling is something like crazy (I don't tell what is wrong). It is drive-able at 360° rotation. Other games works smooth with 900° rotation.

Could you add more wheel options (such as degrees of rotation etc.)?
Nothing Beats Cubic Inches --- Bigger Is Better

Corsair Carbide Spec-03, AsRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer, Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz 6 Mb Cache, 2 x Asus Radeon R9 270X 4 Gb, Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 16 Gb, Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120 Gb, Acer G276HL, Logitech G25, Win 7 Pro