Author Topic: February Update 2017-02-21  (Read 14545 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Dear Wreckers, the latest update is upon us!

Remember: In case the handling feels odd, please first reset your controller settings to default.

CONTENT

• Added a new banger variant of European 1 hot hatch.
  • Improved the model of the European 1 race variant.
  • Redesigned the livery style we're going with, and the results can be seen on the reworked European 1 skins.
  • Added a new Mixed 5 track with two routes + a special free route in which the player can choose which route to take. Naturally both routes count towards laps, with the first one being longer but faster and the second one shorter but slower. Note that for now the replay cameras can somewhat glitchy on the free route variant.
  • Started reworking Sandpit1 (heavy wip for now).
euro01l

ART

• Improved track art on Racing 2, implemented new curbs, added more race track decorations and various props.
  • Improved track art on Gravel 1, made the track narrower in places, added more details and props..
DESIGN/PHYSICS
  • Updated the suspension setups of all vehicles for a more realistic portrayal of rear-wheel drive cars so that cars are significantly more balanced when cornering. Now it's also easier to break the rear free without the car going into the understeer mode like previously. The bahaviour of the cars is also visually more convincing now.
  • Improved the chase camera(s) to give a better impression of sliding and going over bumps.
  • Improved engine torque mappings for a better response so it's easier to modulate throttle when sliding.
  • Implemented the new tire model for the rest of the vehicles (AM2 II used it already). Alternate tires have been deprecated.
  • Improved gearbox ratios for all vehicles to better suit the tracks and the kind of racing in our game.
  • Reduced the handbrake power of European 2 and European 2 (II) since it was too snappy, causing the car to spin instantly.
  • As a result of the above changes the handling of the most cars will feel significantly different - We think this handling model suits the game better and makes it more fun, but of course we'd love to hear what you think!!
TECHNICAL
  • Vehicles no longer clip in collisions or sink into the terrain mesh when on their roof.
  • Landing glitch (bouncing upon landing) is now almost completely eliminated without kludgey workarounds. Very heavy landings can still cause a bit of damage especially when the vehicles is deformed but it's something we will try to eliminate in future.
  • In multiplayer, starting grid is now sorted in reverse order based on leaderboard times. What this means is that the better your global time on the track's leaderboard is the further back the grid you have to start. The green OK text next to the player name means that the time has been fetched successfully.
  • AI cars no longer stop at their tracks at start when someone in front hits the brakes.
  • AI cars now slow down due to colliding with a car in front even when the car in front is being lapped or driving outside the track.
  • Brake, Throttle and Steering Saturation settings now work correctly. In case the brakes or the throttle seems too snappy now, try increasing saturation slightly but be aware that too much saturation causes the input to never reach close enough to 100%. Likewise, if you prefer even snappier response try reducing saturation.
  • Gamepad/keyboard controller steering limiter now has more evolved logic into it, making it easier to turn the wheels just enough but not too much while cornering. Speed Sensitivity default is still the same as before (75%) but if you prefer a more precise control over the car something like 60-65% will work wonders.
  • Fixed checkpoint issues on various tracks.
  • Removed the animated blimp since it was buggy and causing instability.
As always, thanks for your continuous support!

sunsetl

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:13:12 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

TheEngiGuy

Thank you guys!

On a side note, I'm looking forward to more collision/visual damage improvements as well.

Janne Suur-Näkki

What kind of stuff? We have our own ideas but what do you think would be most important?
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

The Very End

Great stuff, will try out later today thanks! :)

PS: Any updates whether or not you will save us modders by the re-target rexture / asset path in BagEdit? I cannot stress enough how several thousands of manually re-target-path lines will kill me :)

Kompressor

Big thanks and congrats! A little European 1(II) - instabuy :)

TheEngiGuy

Ops, game crashes when I load up Sandpit1. "Out of vertex buffer memory!". No mods enabled.

Also, I'm liking the new handling model because it's realistic and responsive at the same time (with keyboard), but it does feel a little too slidy on tarmac.

The Very End

Tried turning off grass TEG? If I get that error (mostly on custom tracks) it's because I set my grass details too much for my graphic card to handle.

Janne Suur-Näkki

That error is definitely related to clutter (grass), we probably need to reduce the variation in future.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Glad to hear you like the handling, Engi. No doubt it's closest to capturing our vision of semirealistic car handling without being overly difficult, but of course work continues.

happyrichie

i cant start a server :(

player hosted works i think

Janne Suur-Näkki

What happens?

Very cool update, it just keeps getting better n better.

It may seem trivial, but an update that I'd like to see is maybe a "walk around" view for the garage. I can never see the cars up close or at the view angle I like. Being able to walk up to your car and peek into the engine compartment or being able to look around inside the interior would be nice.

happyrichie

What happens?

nothing, the wreckfest.exe (the 32bit launcher i think) tries 2 start and instant crashes, player hosted is fine ive raced with player hosted but dedicated just tries 2 load up a 2nd copy of a running wreckfest game

happyrichie

i did delete the wreckfest.exe and check local content and redownload it but i think the problem is on your end :(

Zeron

After waiting so long for this update, I was expecting some major improvements. They took their sweet time for this one, so it would only make sense to expect a lot of new content and some important fixes, however... that didn't happen.

Here's some reasons why this update didn't do much to improve the game:

Laggy new map: The most recent maps, which have plenty of trees, seem to lag when playing with 24 oponents. It's funny how the old maps work just fine and the new ones create this awful slideshow effect. If you're going to add a new map, at least optimize it to run like the old ones.

Just one car: This update only adds one car. I would be fine with that if it was a completely new and unique one, but it's just a copy of an already existing vehicle. We get so many copies of existing cars and it's getting really boring if you ask me.

Boring and repetitive paintjobs: So there are new paintjobs for the two versions of the European 1. Too bad that they are just the same (same sponsors, same numbers, same stickers, etc) but with different colours. Yeah, trully inspiring... and to think the old paintjobs were fine (despite some repetitive ones), you just had to completely remove them in favor of these ones. Couldn't at least bother changing the numbers? Oh look, here comes car 26 followed up by car 26 and in third place.... car 26!

Removal of the blimp: This is a minor thing but it's just another example of taking away another small piece of detail from the game to make it look more and more bland with each update. That's nice, i'm sure you won't even add it back, just like the explosions.

Ragdolls remain removed: You took away ragdolls from us some updates ago and they still haven't returned. Do you realise how much people enjoyed them and how ridiculous it looks now with the characters flickering in mid air and disappearing? Bring them back...

Wheels remain glitched: Still haven't fixed a major bug in which the wheels float out of the car when it takes a hard hit. It's funny how the wheels work perfectly well in the Sneak-Peak, they could bend and they remained attached to the car axles without floating in the most cartoonish way possible.

Steering wheel remains glitched: I don't know about you, but it's not realistic to take a small bump to the car and see the stearing wheel bending like crazy. This was such an awful addition to the game and it's still there. I would be fine if the steering wheel was just a bit tougher.

Still no new UI: You've teased us with the new UI before, why is it taking so long? The current UI sucks.

Still no career mode: After all this time, you still can't deliver career mode and I have my doubts you will be able to deliver it in the next update.

While the update did add some minor fixes and other additions, it still boggles my mind how the proprities are all wrong. There are a lot more important things to do to improve the game and those are being completely ignored in favor of stuff that's barelly noticable. The one thing you did right was to improve the handling, that's a plus for you, but where's the rest?

Are you sure you still want to release the game during the summer of 2017? it's getting a bit tight and the game still looks like an alpha.