Author Topic: Idea for crowds  (Read 398 times)

Tonza

I just had this crazy idea for the crowds. What if they cheered when a big crash happened near them or when you speed past them?
I think (if it's possible) it would make tracks like the figure 8 feel much more alive.  :)
What do you guys think?

RickyB

Agreed, I don't think it's that crazy - had the same thought recently... but then again - maybe I am crazy ;)

Any sounds by the crowds in general would do much for atmosphere/immersion imho. Even if it's just some "wooohoo" or "go go go" or some loud whistling as you drive by some close spectators.

Ideally they would even turn your car back on the wheels if you happened to crash and lie on your side or on the roof, but that's probably not going to happen.

Rowdy Burns

I agree there should be cheers, woo`s and whistling... A dynamic crowd reacting to the race action would be great. In my experience of UK banger racing events I find the crowds are definitely more "alive" at championship final and special events. Do people also take air horns to folk races in Finland?!!

I`d also like the quiet events like time trials with hardly any spectators there plus quiet crowds for none championship races or like single race events!

It`d be fantastic if Bugbear could do all that with the spectators and my include my other suggestion of having some sort of podium display (even just parked side by side on the track itself) showing off the top 3 cars of the race winners at the end of a race... I wanna see the battle damaged cars at the end of a race with the crowd applauding and a few spectators blowing their air horns!!

Daystar

I agree there should be cheers, woo`s and whistling... A dynamic crowd reacting to the race action would be great. In my experience of UK banger racing events I find the crowds are definitely more "alive" at championship final and special events. Do people also take air horns to folk races in Finland?!!

I`d also like the quiet events like time trials with hardly any spectators there plus quiet crowds for none championship races or like single race events!

It`d be fantastic if Bugbear could do all that with the spectators and my include my other suggestion of having some sort of podium display (even just parked side by side on the track itself) showing off the top 3 cars of the race winners at the end of a race... I wanna see the battle damaged cars at the end of a race with the crowd applauding and a few spectators blowing their air horns!!

I totally agree about the top 3 cars being displayed at the end of the race! awesome idea indeed. and even better, showing your car in the garage all beat up. and you can look around the car with the mouse, and see how cool the damages look!

Uhmm about blowing the horns? naaah that is so gay! I would bitch slap someone doing that crap! it is waaay to annoying indeed.

Edit: Scratch that, I read the last part wrong... thought you meant during racing, people be blasting their horns!
anyways... would not really bother me since I am listening to music while racing.  :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:42:13 AM by Daystar »

Purple44

Codemasters did good job with the spectators reacting to you car crashing into a guardrail in the San Francisco track in GRID 1.  :D
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

blazngun

So I was testing out some new skies and came across something rather odd. Maybe its a known bug, or intended to be this way?

Here the crowd in this grandstand is clearly facing the correct direction.

Here is the same grandstand taken during replay using free cam.

are they looking to see if I jump off?
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB

Pritchard

Most of the crowd members are 2D sprites with a really nifty lighting effect applied to them. Only the ones who animate (stand up and clap/wave etc.) are true 3D models. That's why not everyone is facing you in that freecam shot.

blazngun

Thanks for the reply Pritchard!! That sky sure highlights the mayhem when all hell breaks loose on the killer derby track!
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB

dave_mx85

A dynamic crowd reacting to the race NEED to be made  :)