Author Topic: iRacing dirt racing feature later this month  (Read 319 times)

Heddly

iRacing.com and the World of Outlaws announced today that iRacing will become the World of Outlaws exclusive online racing partner. The agreement brings the world’s leading online motorsports simulation service together with North America’s premier dirt track racing series and comes as iRacing prepares to launch its highly anticipated dirt racing feature later this month.

iRacing to Partner With World of Outlaws: More Dirt Content to Come?

The Very End

Iracing is a good game, tried it about two years ago. However, I do not like the financial model and that is it's downfall. Also the autoslow-down when hitting grass and losing of safety rating when you have wheels on the grass is really silly. If an crash - sure, but just going wide and you end up with an abysmal safety rating.
Either way, it's a good game :)

TheEngiGuy

Their financial model is extremely terribad, and we see people complaining about Stuntfest.

blazngun

I don't mind the cost of iracing, as it generally keeps the idiots away. Not many will pay that kind of money for subscription and content just to be stupid. Most accurate and advanced commercially available simulator out there. Some here think 24 players is alot. Have ran 24hr races with 60+ cars per split with 2-4 drivers per car. Think WF net code could handle that? And atleast all my hardware is supported on iracing. Worth every penny!

The Very End

While it's true on some levels the points you raise, there are a couple of things I'd like to disagree with:

1: "Keeps the idiots away". Sadly not true. When I raced two years ago (in the Mazda league and rookie Nascar thingy) the amount of T1 imbeciles and push-to-win peope were maddening. At least for me I did not feel there was any higher level of racing atitute on the servers, even with their payment model.
2: More cars - sure, this I agree on. The netcode on IRacing is very good, but at same time it does not need to keep track on all the physical calculations as WF has to do. While the amount of cars in IRacing sure beats WF, WF just has so many more physical objects connected to both the car and environment that takes up calculation / data costs in terms of network performance.
3: IRacing is actually based on the old Nascar Racing 2003 engine. Modifed much yes, but in terms of graphics it's an ocean apart from WF. Not saying IRacing looks bad, because it does not, but WF looks way better.

In conclusion, they have both their strong and weak sides, but they canot really be compared. That people use old hardware is nice and all, but a game should not be punished for trying to pursuit a better looking and more technical advanced experience.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:01:34 PM by The Very End »

sam223

Looks great, excited to watch footage on youtube but wont be playing. Im a sim fan but not a fan of the motorsports they replicate. If iRacing did a a bangers sim or ran a series where contact was allowed id be all over it.
As TVE said it uses a modified Nascar2003/heat engine, which can host 50+ car server on a tiny linux cloud storage setup because no soft bodies.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

TheEngiGuy

I don't mind the cost of iracing, as it generally keeps the idiots away. Not many will pay that kind of money for subscription and content just to be stupid.

iRacing has a safety rating system and developers do care about looking at reported drivers and ban them, so there's no point in doing monthly fees AND microtransactions combined just to keep bad drivers in the novice championships away. More like it keeps dedicated simracers on a budget like me away...

If only rFactor 2 had the same content and licenses, it would beat iRacing by a mile. It already has better physics, AI and mods.

blazngun

End, the dynamic track objects from marbles and gravel can be in the tens of thousands, all dynamic and updated across all clients. Not here to argue, all have their strength and weaknesses. Look at some side by side real life vs Sims. Iracing by far looks most true to life. Rf2 and pcars are too crisp and detailed to be realistic looking.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:11:21 PM by blazngun »

blazngun

Looks great, excited to watch footage on youtube but wont be playing. Im a sim fan but not a fan of the motorsports they replicate. If iRacing did a a bangers sim or ran a series where contact was allowed id be all over it.
As TVE said it uses a modified Nascar2003/heat engine, which can host 50+ car server on a tiny linux cloud storage setup because no soft bodies.

RallyCross is coming after dirt is released. New SR and license system coming for both.

blazngun

Also wanted to add that with telemetry output and true ffb, not canned effects and generic centering spring, and marbles/rocks, I would bet that iracing is sending more data per second than WF ever will, soft bodies or not.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:06:26 AM by blazngun »

sam223

Also wanted to add that with telemetry output and true ffb, not canned effects and generic centering spring, and marbles/rocks, I would bet that iracing is sending more data per second than WF ever will, soft bodies or not.
Maybe, however the max players problem with wreckfest isnt how much data it sends.Its how much strain is put on the server CPU.
Telemetry and FFB are locally calculated so no data sent about any of that, marbles/racing line might be dynamic server sided. But that could also be setup as a plane which degenerates, and then the individual marbles calculated locally (not like anyone would notice if the position of a rubber ball was different per player). Different collision box (soft body) or moveable collision object (tire stacks) per player you will notice however.

Thats my speculation as why wreckfest runs so badly for hosting anyway. You could probably host easier with more players if the game calculated collision objects locally. Set them up so they cause no damage like now, then it wouldn't matter other than visually where they were positioned, big tire stacks cause lag. Calculate soft body shapes less often and push a lot of that calculation onto players rather than doing it all server side.

Will have to try some simple box collision boxes at some point in wreckfest,see if that improves server stability by massive lowering the amount it has to calculate.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:14:23 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245