Author Topic: Some vehicle modding questions  (Read 247 times)

Halal Meats

I've been trying to add a vehicle to the game for a few days now. I'm new to modding so I have hit a few roadblocks. If anyone has any insight to some of these questions it would be much appreciated.
I have the model in the game, and a working steering wheel. Deform works alright, still need to mess with the collision spheres.

1. What is "solidbody"? The model I am using did not have one and I don't know how to create one.

2. What are LOD1 and LOD2? They are not really stopping me from doing anything but I am curious as to what they are.

3. How does the texturing work? I have .tga files I convert to .bmap with "build_asset.bat" but the game doesn't seem to recognize them.

4. "build_asset.bat" isn't creating any .panl files or a .scne file. However, in-game parts do fall off the model in collisions. Is something missing?

Thanks!

Heddly

I have bookmarked this topic because you have asked a lot of what I would like to know about adding modded vehicles to WF. I only have Blender but anything on this topic would be of help. Thanks in advance.

The Very End

I cannot answer them all, as I have not done any car modding, but as far as I know I can answer 2, 3 and 4.

2: LOD is level of detail. LOD0 is standard, and as the numbers increase the details are lowered. LOD2 would be the "worst" looking model. Either way, on very long distances you car could look like a box - would not matter as you are not close enough to spot the difference, but as it gets closer you need to bring more details in which can be done by switching over to a new LOD setting / level. Can help increase the performance a lot.

3: All textures need to be bmap, but usually you will work with tga in max / blender. At least in max I set all texture paths to point to files with .tga format, but at runtime the game reads the same filename but with .bmap format. In other words, work with tga and terms of path and project, then before release you move / delete the .tga files and only leave the .bmap files left (they should have the exact same filename as the tga file).

4: .scne files are created with the exporter. At least when using 3ds max it will export both a bgo3 file and a scne file. Think you can throw the bgo3 file into the build_asset.bat to convert it to a .scne . Panel files are files that can be opened by the BagEdit tool from Bugbear (it's within your main folder of Wreckfest). These are files which tells something about how parts are connected. I have not seen much on them myself so I suggest opening one of the others with BagEdit and study how it works.

Allways remember to create new files when working, copying already existing files might yield various results. New files can be created by the BagEdit tool.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:16:39 AM by The Very End »

sam223

1. Solid body + collision spheres are your collision body. Solid body must cover all parts of your mesh or verts will randomly spike in collisions. I think it works like this, solid body takes the collision>moves spheres>which moves model verts.

2. LOD1+LOD2 are levels of detail at distances,these dont work currently i think. Currently i havnt changed them from default as i havnt seen them change at distance in game.

3. Texturing is 2 parts. Surface properties (naming) is the most important i.e body#car_body. But some textures must also be assigned as .tga in their correct folder before building .bgo3 ie /data/vehicles/chassisname/art/rim_standard_c.tga

4. Build_asset only builds .tga>.bmap and .bgo3>.vhcl for vehicles. .scene files are related to tracks (objects?) and .panl files are a database file which you edit/make within bagedit. To setup a panel that falls off or open in game you need to name your object on the model and have a corresponding .panl file named the same i.e hood + hood.panl. If you want the object to open on a hinge you also need dummy joints on the model i.e hood_joint_1 + hood_joint_2 and then reference those in the hood.panl file also.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 03:24:24 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

Halal Meats

Thanks for the help guys.

1. I think your right (sam223)  in the way it works. I knew the spheres were collision objects (obviously by name) but I was so lost on solidbody.

2. Alright, good to know what they are. I wont do much with them then.

3. I didn't put any of my textures in 3ds max, I thought they would get recognized by name or something. That would explain why the game doesn't recognize them.

4. When I used build_asset on the example car after deleting the .panl files it created new ones, so I thought it was supposed to create them. I'll try copying them from existing cars & mess with them in bag edit and see if that works.

Thanks again.

sam223

Interesting that you say it generated .panl files when creating the .vhcl file. I haven't seen that before and have had many problems in the past where id renamed hood to the English equivalent 'bonnet' only to find out that the game couldn't find the corresponding bonnet.panl because I hadn't created it. If you get stuck just post on here, i can probably help. Currently working on my next set of cars which will push my total to 30 cars built for wreckfest.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:09:34 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

Halal Meats

That is a mighty impressive number of cars!

I am trying to add the CTR from FlatOut 2. I am hoping to try to add all the cars if everything goes well.

Copying the hood.panl file worked.  I'll continue copying & renaming these until I run into a problem.

Halal Meats

I've run into a problem with the solidbody. I keep getting an error using build_asset that claims that the solidbody mesh is missing.

I deleted the solidbody from the original and started building my own from a copy of the "collision_bottom" shape. I renamed it solidbody.

Is there something particular I need to do for solidbody?

sam223

Same layer as the collision_spheres and possibly material name? body#car_body

Halal Meats

Is solidbody supposed to be in the collision sphere layer? The example has it in the "collision" layer.

It's probably the materials. Where do you edit the material names? I haven't worked with any of that yet.

Thanks.

sam223

For me the solidbody is on the same layer as the spheres. I am using blender though and im not sure how to setup things specifically for 3dsm

Halal Meats

Alright, I'll watch some videos or something to see about the materials & maybe once the materials are set it will recognize the solidbody.

Thanks again for the help.

Halal Meats

I'm having some weird issues with the wheels.

1. Only 1 of them is rendering properly (The other 3 either look backwards or have weird see-through parts) If it helps, I only copied the front-left tire and then re positioned it, and then renamed each of them to their respective location.

2. During a collision, the wheels get knocked way out of alignment and each entire wheel starts rotating around some sort of invisible axis.

Have any idea what is happening?