Author Topic: Game using Wreckfest image to promote Flat out 4 total insanity.  (Read 1018 times)

Banditopeep

On the game.co.uk website in March releases i spotted this>   That cant be legal, i have emailed bugbear.  This has to be intentional.

TheEngiGuy

Even an Italian review site about Playstation games has used it.

Can't believe how they didn't even think "but I've never seen those cars and graphics in the game, it's probably a mistake!".

Banditopeep

Flat out 4 has apparently already been given a poor reception, i suppose using an image of wreckfest is more appealing to people who are unaware. 

Heddly

flatout-4-total-insanity-review
I would definitely prefer something with a better sense of weight, with collisions that feel real. Something more like previous FlatOut custodian Bugbear’s authentic, slower, and more tactical approach with its similarly destruction-centric racer Wreckfest, even if that game has been in Steam Early Access for going on 400 years now.

Purple44

Is this Strategy First doing some shady things again??

GRRRR
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

RickyB

Speaking of someone else using BugBears Intellectual Property - there are mobile apps out there that look like a copy-&-paste job of the tech sneak peak from BugBear. Not sure if this is allowed or already stealing BugBears IP. Apparently the games are free, but as far as I read, there are integrated ads - so I guess the guy who made this is making money with it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CNS.CarCrashMD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CNS.CrashSimulator

The description mentiones "next car game & beam-ng styled game"

Just wanted to let Bugbear know.

TheEngiGuy

Can't believe how they didn't even think "but I've never seen those cars and graphics in the game, it's probably a mistake!".

Oh nice, after pointing that out they kindly changed it  :D

Banditopeep

RickyBøbby  That's nuts, just because games like this cant get into the mainstream the mainstream think they can copy it and steal images and copy assets.
I hope bugbear see it.

Banditopeep

Oh nice, after pointing that out they kindly changed it  :D

Nice, maybe they just googled flat out 4 for an image to promote and got images of wreckfest?.  That's still pretty piss poor if it went down that way, maybe only interested in AAA titles and it got overlooked.   Still problem solved!!. Well done to who ever got intouch with them.

Speedevil

Speaking of someone else using BugBears Intellectual Property - there are mobile apps out there that look like a copy-&-paste job of the tech sneak peak from BugBear. Not sure if this is allowed or already stealing BugBears IP. Apparently the games are free, but as far as I read, there are integrated ads - so I guess the guy who made this is making money with it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CNS.CarCrashMD

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CNS.CrashSimulator

The description mentiones "next car game & beam-ng styled game"

Just wanted to let Bugbear know.

You can't just port a PC game to Android, so no, they didn't steal the tech demo. They did steal the cars though, but Bugbear doesn't own the rights anyway so there's nothing they can do about it.

Needles Kane

You can't just port a PC game to Android, so no, they didn't steal the tech demo. They did steal the cars though, but Bugbear doesn't own the rights anyway so there's nothing they can do about it.
But they did steal map of tech demo and props, which are property of Bugbear.

HyperXHyperX

But they did steal map of tech demo and props, which are property of Bugbear.
They didn't actually copy. They made their own from scratch by using NCG / BeamNG as inspiration.

It's basically like 'stealing' a melody and then changing it. No copyright there.

Needles Kane

I don't think it is made from scratch. Sure it is rearranged, but who would make exact same Hotwheels track, with exact same curves. Or exact same coin game (what is that called?) with exact same spiral acces ramp and exact same stoopid little arrows at the top. Same with Beamng type map. Those objects are too similar if you compare them to real thing.

I can't be 100% certain, I bet they are actual models ripped from NCG tech demo and Beamng.

HyperXHyperX

I see enough differences on those pictures alone to tell you that it's not a rip, but rather a manual remake. Especially the BeamNG-styled map, that's like 100% different.

Unless the author ripped the models, made them low poly AND altered them afterwards. But nobody in their right mind would do this, as that'd mean even more work...

Needles Kane

Converting Hi-poly to low-poly is much faster than making from scratch.

I downloaded Crash simulator racing. Guess what? Those models aren't even converted to lowpoly. They are exactly same polycount as in Tech demo.

Because objects in tech demo has single color textures or vertex colors, they wasn't uv mapped correctly. In CSR there is material attached and it looks very weird. It's stretched and every detail is at wrong face.

See those weird blotches. Same reason, because uv mapping is minimal, when there is real texture thrown to mix, it forms those ugly blotches.

Ski jump ramp is placed too low, it goes partially below ground geometry (which is by the way made with Probuilder, or atleast uses it's stock texture). Orange color of two color texture (or vertex color) is changed to red, or it could be also way Unity renders it. No other changes, apart from missing blue sign sticks, which each are separate object thus aren't imported to CSR.

Cannon which is placed a lot higher than in NCG:TD, actually has all geometry in NCG too, it was just hidden undeground. You can see it if you go below ground level with NCG's free cam.

That coin game has extended wall at top of it, which is just simple cube. No modifications at actual geometry, textures are admittedly messed, it renders whole backside of it colored, when only little spots around sticks should be colored.