Author Topic: Is there a way to render OUT an splatmap from 3ds max?  (Read 497 times)

The Very End

Greetings! I have tired Googling this, but I just could not find what I am looking for. I can import and use splatmaps as I like - that is no worries at all, but the other way around (creating the splatmap manually) does not quite work for me and I need help. I'll try to explain my methods:

1: I create an object that will work as the terrain with roads and outside parts and so on, this of course have different textures and I want some sort of blending
2: I assign red, green and blue colors to various sections, as it is intended to when doing splatmaps, this will be replaced by normal textures later (only using textures in those colors to render it out right)
3: Here comes the part where I am stuck at:
I want to export an texture that will work as the splatmap, as the colors and placement of them are fit nicely on the model. I have tried rendering it out with object in selection and then apply the 3 texture as a splatmap on different places on the model (road, grass, mud etc) - but it never aligns right when i re - import the render to be used as a textured splatmap. It's either rotate in a wrong direction or scales are way off when I do a plan mapping (basically wrapping  the splatmap texture on it)

So why I want this? Because I want to create the terrain model(s) and then doing the texturing part to gain the advantages splatmap has (texture blending and so on). Doing it the other way works, importing terrain with splatmap on it, but it just is not precise enough anymore for my liking.

Any advices you masters have would be very helpfull! :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:18:18 AM by The Very End »

tads421

What i would try first is create a square (make sure its square) plane in max that goes under all of the models (this acts as the base 1024 x 1024 map in photoshop)... and render from "top" view..... render this out at 1024 X 1024 as that is the size of the blend maps (terrain_blend_c) then when you go to re-map it with the new created terrain_blend_c.tga make sure top viewport is selected when you hit uvmap and unwrapuv that should keep it all in same rotation and scale.

If that don't work i will have a re-think

Hope this helps

Kev

The Very End

Thanks for reply :) What actually was the case made me think I'm an idiot. First, it should ideally allways be square the object you try to render out from, and the resolution of the render / texture must be the same as the same as the object. Like, have a 2048 x 2048 render - make a terrain with 2048 / 2048 size (meters usually).

Btw, in photohsop, is there a way to create a realistic "random" colormap / splatmap? Like having 3 different colors that should be asigned to 33% each on the texture in various sizes and shapes?

tads421

not that i know of.... but a good video i like is when you have a splatmap you can create a colour map from refine it and convert back to a nice splatmap.... i will link you to the video anyways.... might help in other projects aswell.

The Very End

Will check that out later, I'm all for sharing knowledge so other's have a chance to contribute too :D Thanks for sharing!

RickyB

Btw, in photohsop, is there a way to create a realistic "random" colormap / splatmap? Like having 3 different colors that should be asigned to 33% each on the texture in various sizes and shapes?
The only random filter I can think of is under   Filter > Render > Difference Clouds. You can use it 3 times, once in each channel for example.
Generates random patterns like this:

The Very End

That sounds very much what I could use, thanks :) Random is allways better than me doing it by hand haha!