Author Topic: Slipstream and Catchup modes on server. Server setup showing in lobby screen.  (Read 311 times)

TPEHAK

Hello.

How about to add Slipstream and Catchup option for server setup. Server host can set these options ON or OFF individually. With Slipstream physics ON player can use slipstream effect to pass the car in front of them. With Catchup option ON the players who are behind the leader will have slightly more power, or slightly more speed or another improvements (of course catchup algorithm should assume players vehicle class, and condition and vehicle damage etc) so they have a chance to catchup the leader and the races will be more intensive, more aggressive with more fun, it will also help newbies or people with low class cars to have more chances to get good place. It would be cool if Catchup will work only up to the slipstream zone so once player have got the zone behind the leader acceptable for slipstream using the Catchup will not work anymore and players now have to use their skill to pass the leader. GTA V race mode is goos example of race where you can set Slipstream and Catchup.

Of course those options should be optional so players and server host have a choice.

Another idea is to show the server setup (amount of laps, track name, times of day, max amount of players, Slipstream ON or OFF, Catchup ON or OFF, allowed car classes, etc) in the lobby screen, maybe somewhere aside the screen like in GTA V so players can see the server setup.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:40:39 PM by TPEHAK »
LAPTOP GIGABYTE P35X V3 || INTEL CORE i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHZ ||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M  8GB GDDR5|| 16GB RAM || 103GB SSD || 1TB HDD || WINDOWS 10 HOME

BenDover

The slipstream will only be abused in most cases probally. And I dont think it fits the game but with it, it could be some more intressting races for sure :)
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

Pritchard

This game isn't GTA V. Slipstream and catchup are the cancer of GTA Online races and should not be allowed to spread.

sam223

Slipsteam and catchup mechanics wouldn't work unless the car in front could still get away by driving better. Otherwise no one will want to be in front of another car, because the outcome will constantly be this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHcDVTWLzQ&t=14s

You'd need a non contact gamemode aswell, to encourage people to overtake with their slipstream advantage. Rather than just using it to wipe out whoever is in front.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:27:11 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

RickyB

Not sure why y'all hate slipstream, it's not some dubious magic that doesn't exist in real life ;)
It would be cool if Catchup will work only up to the slipstream zone so once player have got the zone behind the leader acceptable for slipstream using the Catchup will not work anymore and players now have to use their skill to pass the leader.
Of course those options should be optional so players and server host have a choice.

Slipstream could be interesting, maybe like this...
1) It only affects you at a certain speed or faster.
2) The car in front has an advantage, because it has more grip, because of the downforce that's produced by pushing through the air. The car behind doesn't have this advantage, because there is less air that could produce downforce = less grip. Just like in reality. An advantage especially in curves.

A catchup mechanic could be fun, but it probably shouldn't appear too 'magical'. If too obvious, it could feel quite artificial, but I wouldn't condemn it. I'd rather test it and see whether I like it or not.

If it's a server option, I don't see a problem with it. Probably a matter of balance again.