Author Topic: More in-depth AI  (Read 455 times)

Kartman11

Hello, I just wanted to say that I think that Wreckfest could benefit from some better AI. My favourite game ever is Flatout 2 and I love the way each character had thier own 'profile' or attributes. I understand Wreckfest will not have a Campain mode and that is fine but, having the 'allies and rivals' would compensate. I like your games and can't wait to see Wreckfest on PS4. Thank you. Also, will you be changing the soundtrack because it is pretty bland.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 01:07:01 AM by Kartman11 »

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, Wreckfest will have a proper career with race weekends containing multiple races and as well as series you will compete in. While the opponents will most likely not have avatars like the old Flatout games had, we will be using a variety of profiles for them so some of them are more keen to race aggressively and overtake whenever they can while others like to take it safe so there will be the kind of variety you're hoping for.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

conso1727

While the opponents will most likely not have avatars like the old Flatout games had, we will be using a variety of profiles for them
So we can expect something like GRID, many drivers with no avatars but different names and skill level/driving styles?

TheEngiGuy

Thanks for the suggestion!

Actually, Wreckfest will have a proper career with race weekends containing multiple races and as well as series you will compete in. While the opponents will most likely not have avatars like the old Flatout games had, we will be using a variety of profiles for them so some of them are more keen to race aggressively and overtake whenever they can while others like to take it safe so there will be the kind of variety you're hoping for.

Will AI drivers be adjusted for team gamemodes too so that they help friendly teams (letting faster guys pass) and be more aggressive towards rival teams too?
Also, will mechanical damage affect the way AI drive their cars like in earlier builds? It would help increase variety.

At the moment the AI should be a bit more aggressive in general, it's quite rare to see AI colliding with each other, especially after the first lap.

HyperXHyperX

will mechanical damage affect the way AI drive their cars like in earlier builds?

Okay, haven't noticed that. Did they avoid damage when they were close to wrecked? Because that would be awesome!

TheEngiGuy

will mechanical damage affect the way AI drive their cars like in earlier builds?

Okay, haven't noticed that. Did they avoid damage when they were close to wrecked? Because that would be awesome!

No, but that's actually a good idea for the future.
In earlier builds I've noticed AI drivers were struggling to steer their cars when they've been heavily damaged. Even the player's handling was affected by mechanical damage. Honestly I'd like to see this back in the game as long as it wouldn't be too annoying.

HyperXHyperX

Mechanical damage changes the gameplay too radically. You're punished for contact, and that simply isn't NCG at all.

Konan

The whole point of a destruction derby game imo is getting to the finish anyway you can with whatever damage you have...how is it that mechanical damage should be excluded from that?...only takes away from the immersion is how i see it...

sam223

Remember that wreckfest differentiates between hitting and receiving damage. So you wouldnt be punished for making contact with performance affecting damage. You'd be punished for receiving contact.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

HyperXHyperX

Remember that wreckfest differentiates between hitting and receiving damage. So you wouldnt be punished for making contact with performance affecting damage. You'd be punished for receiving contact.
how is it that mechanical damage should be excluded from that?...only takes away from the immersion is how i see it...
If you hit a static player in the current build, you also will receive damage, both to armour and health. It's less and dependent on the state of your armour, but it's there. Following that formula, you'd still get mechanical damage from hitting others, just a bit less. Essentially, this discourages contact in general, because who wants to drive with a car that steers to the left, has engine hiccups and what not...

And if we discourage contact even more than it is right now, the only way to race properly is to race clean and avoid any damage. And that's not what NCG is about, if you ask me.

I found the damage in build 6 to be the best, because it was just like FlatOut where dealing hits out don't damage your car. I'm not against mechanical damage - at least not when it's not affecting the attacker - but I don't want the game to become a clean racing fest, as that would totally destroy NCG being what it tries to be when you look at the description (Website, Steam Store page...). Otherwise they could've just made GRID: Bangersport.

Konan

Understood...and agreed... ;-)

sam223

how is it that mechanical damage should be excluded from that?...only takes away from the immersion is how i see it...

If you hit a static player in the current build, you also will receive damage, both to armour and health. It's less and dependent on the state of your armour, but it's there. Following that formula, you'd still get mechanical damage from hitting others, just a bit less. Essentially, this discourages contact in general, because who wants to drive with a car that steers to the left, has engine hiccups and what not...

And if we discourage contact even more than it is right now, the only way to race properly is to race clean and avoid any damage. And that's not what NCG is about, if you ask me.

I found the damage in build 6 to be the best, because it was just like FlatOut where dealing hits out don't damage your car. I'm not against mechanical damage - at least not when it's not affecting the attacker - but I don't want the game to become a clean racing fest, as that would totally destroy NCG being what it tries to be when you look at the description (Website, Steam Store page...). Otherwise they could've just made GRID: Bangersport.

You are correct you do take a small amount compared with damage dealt when hitting static cars. This % of dealt and received is easily tweaked though (its just 2 numbers). You can also deal massive damage without taking any yourself though, by running people into static objects (followin), because the contact force between the 2 cars is low,all the damage is dealt to the car hitting the static object

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwHcDVTWLzQ
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

HyperXHyperX

1) You are correct you do take a small amount compared with damage dealt when hitting static cars. This % of dealt and received is easily tweaked though (its just 2 numbers).

2) You can also deal massive damage without taking any yourself though, by running people into static objects (followin), because the contact force between the 2 cars is low,all the damage is dealt to the car hitting the static object

1) If it's that EZ, why isn't there a build 6 damage mod out yet? ;) Damn, if I knew how I'd make it!!!

2) That's a problem in NCG. It seems that currently hitting static objects like walls or w/e doesn't even do much damage to begin with. Also, due to the physics, hitting players against walls can result in quite a bit of damage to yourself. Mainly because it's like this: You hit the enemy car -> enemy car hits the wall -> enemy car bounces off the wall and hits you -> you take damage even though you're dealing hits out. Likewise by spinning cars, if they hit you while spinning, you also take damage even though you're the attacker.

That should be changed, but that's just my opinion.

Bonus) It would be interesting to see an option for mechanical damage. Like GRID or smth.

Daystar

1) You are correct you do take a small amount compared with damage dealt when hitting static cars. This % of dealt and received is easily tweaked though (its just 2 numbers).

2) You can also deal massive damage without taking any yourself though, by running people into static objects (followin), because the contact force between the 2 cars is low,all the damage is dealt to the car hitting the static object

1) If it's that EZ, why isn't there a build 6 damage mod out yet? ;) Damn, if I knew how I'd make it!!!

2) That's a problem in NCG. It seems that currently hitting static objects like walls or w/e doesn't even do much damage to begin with. Also, due to the physics, hitting players against walls can result in quite a bit of damage to yourself. Mainly because it's like this: You hit the enemy car -> enemy car hits the wall -> enemy car bounces off the wall and hits you -> you take damage even though you're dealing hits out. Likewise by spinning cars, if they hit you while spinning, you also take damage even though you're the attacker.

Bonus) It would be interesting to see an option for mechanical damage. Like GRID or smth.

I do have a Build 6 Damage & Physics mod. forgot who made it, but here ya go! -------> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05160228828366793268 <------- Enjoy

sam223

It is very easy to tweak damage. Easy in that anyone can do it with bagedit. Someone did have a go at recreating build 6,but everyone has their own opinion on what made it great to them. So its hard to recreate,since you cannot compare to build 6's files (bagedit wont open old files i think).

data/property/settings/deformscales.dfsc 'Damage curve env' is what you want to adjust if you want cars to take more damage from static objects. Its a momentum vs damage output scale. X axis is momentum and Y is damage you take at that momentum.