Author Topic: Game Title--"Maximum Impact"?  (Read 7227 times)

Spex84

Not sure if this is the right forum section for this, but...
Since NCG seems to be without a title, and since Flat Out or anything similar can't be used (too bad, it's so perfect!), I thought I'd come up with a few ideas, and decided something with "Impact" in the title could work.
There was already an "Impact Racing" on Playstation 1, and it's the name of a real-world racing company. "Maximum Impact Racing" doesn't have any major hits on Google, so that's a possibility. Adding a tagline like "Full Contact Racing" or "Race. Wreck. Repeat" would differentiate it even further.

And just for fun, here are some mockup ideas:

Usmovers_02

Nice work with the mockups but to me the name just screams "generic". Though so does "Ultimate Carnage" for that matter. I love the name "Flatout" but of course they can't use that. I honestly don't like a single name I'm seen suggested. Most of them just use "extreme" words meant to sound exciting but are so overused they sound boring.

Speedevil

Somebody suggested "Wreckless", I find it funny.

Usmovers_02

Lol. That's the other thing: No puns in the name please!

Spex84

I have to say I agree with you.
It's hard to find a title that isn't already in use, has the right "sound", looks good on the screen, isn't a silly joke, etc etc.
So far I've not heard any title suggestions that I actually like.

Maybe an alternative is go in the exact opposite direction from the "EXTREME SMASH!" genre of design, and try something that makes a counterpoint to the violence and color of the game itself...Codemasters has already done this with Grid and Dirt, and Valve has done it with Half Life 2 and Steam. Something nordic, simple and functional.
(Apologies to Bugbear for stealing their wallpaper for the below mockup)

Usmovers_02

Honestly, the really simple font you used on that last pick has a lot of... well... impact. It MAKES the word simple. So maybe just ditch the word "Maximum"? That last picture makes me look at the name "Impact" completely differently than your first 2.

DarnHyena

I'm surprised no one has suggested using Banger somewhere, since that seems to be a common name for the type of racing

Or maybe that Civil War name some have used for the event.. though I believe that also involved teams, so that could be the name for team matches o;

Spex84

DarnHyena--I like "Banger" too, but there are some issues..

-"Banger" is slang for sausage in the UK (or so I'm told)
-in north america, we have "demoliton derby" and "destruction derby". Most americans probably don't know what "banger racing" is. But everyone knows the term "gangbanger", so they might assume "banger" is a game about gang violence or something.
-"Civil War" sounds like a game about...well, the Civil War.

Usmovers_02

"banger" or "gangbanger" would also certainly be interpreted sexually in the US. Definitely something you want to avoid for a title like this.

DarnHyena

Good point V:

dbs213

I was thinking "Gasoline" based on a post on Bugbear's Twitter account. :P
But Impact sounds good as well.
My Specs: Intel Core i7-4790 3.60GHz | 16GB Ram| Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit | 500GB Solid State Drive
======================================
[Insert snarky quote with no context here]

Purple44

I like the tag line "Full Contact Racing". That Flatout and GRID 1 derby racing.  :)
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500 i7 8700, 16GB, Nvidia 660 960 1060 6GB, Win 10 64bit, DFGT Wheel

Bullet GT

I have to say, "Impact" is the first suggestion I'd agree on (not that I would have had a better idea at this point, tbh).
It's short, catchy, not used too often in games and it's literally what the game's about.

If we were to vote, I'd support "Impact".

"Gasoline" would be OK, too, I guess.

Just be sure to get rid of "Nex Car Game" as soon as you can... This is a nice working title, but, well, what would that tell about a game if you don't even have a proper name?

Usmovers_02

Plus the switch from Next Car Game to the official title will only confuse casual fans when it happens.