Author Topic: Small tweak to make those low-speed derbies more fun  (Read 180 times)

The Very End

See this small little picture:

Default value is 80, meaning any hit below 80 (or so I believe) is very, very unsatisfying. The crash physics at high speed are now very good in vanilla Wreckfest, but lower speed crashes feels very unsatisfying specially at the derbies. Lowering this number to 60 or lower makes it all fun again (in my eyes).

Maybe you would consider giving those pesky low speeders some fun too by adjusting the game's default setting on this Bugbear? :)

sam223

Yes, friction and restitution in collision matrix does still work (car vs car), what don't are most of the individual parameters in the arrays. The parameters themselves look obscure, but if we take for example Ai Fast and the various settings underneath, they refer to what happens when the AI car is going fast and something hits it, either another AI car or a player. The two numbers themselves represents collision forces and how they are manipulated, x being linear and y angular. Player Car Type Speed Threshold is a special tweak to adjust the collision forces after the player car exceeds a certain speed threshold (y), so that after the threshold is exceeded we will use the parameters for Player Car Boost (instead of Player Car Slow or Fast) to give more angular force (currently 2,5) to cause the AI car to get thrown into air in a more violent fashion.

It's a bit of a mess currently due to being mostly legacy stuff but I'm sure you can find out how it works with a little bit testing and going with the abovementioned.
-Janne
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

The Very End

So, eh, uhm, well... From my experience the settings refered to does not change anything else than when to use the different parameters, meaning that instead of having to drive 80 km/h to use the player_boost arrays of settings you will gain the same settings on 60 or below. Either way, what we want to do is to make the derbies fun again. Do a derby and hit something at low speed = bump, and feels totally lacking and unsatisfying. It's like having no force at all, like the other car's weight is about 4 times your own weight. At higher speeds, and yes, higher speeds means more force so it's logically, the crashes feels much more satisfying as when hitting people actually feels powerful.

One could argue about realism or not, but for a game that aims on doing "over-the-top crashes", taking a bit of liberty to make the crashing actually fun and satisfying would be a good design.

sam223

From my understanding of what Janne said.Is that you have tweaked the threshold. Meaning that every crash is then manipulated in the same way. What you really need to do is increase the manipulation of the low speed crashes.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=740683245

blazngun

Have you tried real2life damage or derby damage mod on the small derby arenas? Speeds on my county fair derby arena don't get above 45mph. With default damage a derby can take all night. Maybe they could  use different multiplier for circuit and derbies?
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB