Author Topic: What actually determines the AI paths in derbies?  (Read 1061 times)

The Very End

Isn't that feature removed in latest AI files? Either way, yea, higher number tended to make them more likely to be in the center.

Zebulon55

Derby Favor Center still seems to be a changeable parameter, but no slider is present, so I don't know max and min values.

I guess my thoughts were that a low value might make ai avoid the center.

They are probably just finding a target before they reach the center and turning to attack that target.

I tried staying at my start point in the current Red Pike arena with 24 ai and noticed cars on my "side" of the arena seemed to turn left or right as they neared the center rise; some cars from the other "side" came flying over the rise.

The Very End

Yeah that is what I see too. Wish I could force them all to go to the center, but seems it is impossible :(

blazngun

Did some testing to see how the AI reacted on the Bugbear derby arenas with 23 AI cars. For the Small Stadium, Lawnmower arena, and Mudpit, the cars are lined up in straight lines facing each other. Most cars turn slightly to not hit car they are directly lined up opposite to head on, but continue pretty much straight and meet in the middle, not targeting the cars they are closest to lined up on same side of track. Mudpit has the shortest distance to center from start positions and has the most concentration of cars hitting in the center head on. Lawnmower has the longest run to center and some cars completely avoid crashing, with atleast one car turning sharp straight into the wall to avoid a collision. Speedbowl had similar behavior but the cars are lined up in a rectangle and not all cars are angled toward the center of the track. It was hard to judge how many were colliding in the middle due to the obstacles some cars have to go around to get to the center, but this arena had the fewest collisions in the center, with some cars turning to hit cars that they started next to rather than going toward the center. The Stadium arena is completely different from the rest and exhibits the closest behavior to what End is after. Cars are lined up in a rectangle with most not being angled to collide in the center. What was so different about how the cars reacted is all of the cars that arent facing the center actively turn to collide in the center, and had the highest concentration of cars colliding in the middle. Hope this info might be helpful, having a look now in bagedit to see what differences if any there are in the .scne files for the tracks. Did notice some have different numbers of sectors and AI routes when experimenting the other day.
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB

The Very End

Nice findings :) I am just plotting around trying everything in the AI settings to see what I might come up with. If you focuses on the actually paths and their mystics we might be able to find a sollution.
Thanks for helping me!

Edit: For testing out you can drag the offical scene (copy) them over to a mod folder to be able to manipulate the AI paths with the editor. Just remember to give them a new id in the event file.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:20:53 PM by The Very End »

blazngun

Fear that the info we are after and need to manipulate to get desired results resides withing the files under data/ property/ settings  in the files "collide behaviour" and the others we dont have access to. Were these settings ever accessible with previous versions of Bagedit? Possible too that there is a setting in the ai_global.vags.
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB

The Very End

Not that I know of sadly. Blergh >.<

Mazay

Nice findings :) I am just plotting around trying everything in the AI settings to see what I might come up with. If you focuses on the actually paths and their mystics we might be able to find a sollution.
Thanks for helping me!

Edit: For testing out you can drag the offical scene (copy) them over to a mod folder to be able to manipulate the AI paths with the editor. Just remember to give them a new id in the event file.

You could also use the ai route visualizer to quick view routes http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,8832.0.html
and to import them to 3dsmax. (that if it still works with new .scne format)

I tho have done that, and still I am lost how to make derby behave like I wish. Middle point of map might affect them somehow or not.

The Very End

Thanks. But sadly they behave like the want, regardless what you do. My solution was to put the startpoints closer to the middle, so guess it is related to how AI avoid highspeed collisions.