Author Topic: Modified Engine RPM - Sound Synchronization  (Read 615 times)

Epidurality

Trying to do a mod that's a cross between Online Bangers and Additional Parts. Mostly for offline use.

The one place I'm struggling is with the engine sounds. Swapping in a higher revving engine but using the default engine sounds results in an engine that SOUNDS like it's redlining well below redline. I can't seem to find any setting in the engine, sound, or other bag files that changes this. Made me think it's a change to the Soundbank, but when I tried WWise, I didn't get very far.

There are no .WAV files I can find that come with the game, and short of sampling my own 20+ sound effects to cover the spread on the necessary sounds to create another bank, I don't see how to change it. Anybody successfully been able to mod the default sounds for different RPMs?

sam223

WWise sound banks is the only way i believe. All you can tweak via bagedit is backfire frequency. Let me know if you have any luck please as we have a selection of v6 engine sounds id like to add to online bangers.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

blazngun

I fail to understand why they made it so complicated to do sound work. Having done prior work in rfactor, which was simple and easy to edit both behavior of sound files, and the sound files themselves. I have 0 confidence we will get proper mod support for aoynd editing before full release, if at all.
Simxperience Accuforce Pro Wheel    Fanatec CSP v2's
Custom Ebay  hydraulic handbrake with Bodnar BU0836-LC
Sabertooth 990fx w/ 8350    Thermaltake 750w PSU    
16GB Corsair Vengeance       GTX-760 Ti 4GB

sam223

@blazngun i dunno, WWise doesnt look that complicated from the little play around ive had. But i don't have time to investigate properly at the minute.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad

Epidurality

@blazngun i dunno, WWise doesnt look that complicated from the little play around ive had. But i don't have time to investigate properly at the minute.

It's pretty complicated. Granted, I haven't done the tutorials; only read BB's little blurb from the Audio Tools zip. But it seems.. well.. stupid, to have a packaged sound file that has the RPM range pre-defined within it, to not be able to UNpackage that file, and to have to start fresh with a NEW sound file, which BB does not provide. They provide the template, but there are no sounds in the template. It seems like they took an unpackaged sound file, stripped the .WAVs out of it, and released it as their template.

So unless I'm going about this the wrong way, it seems we need to find our own: upshift, downshift, engine rev, backfire, "load" values, etc etc etc.. seems like a LOT of work.

Bugbear, can you not release a sound file from an existing vehicle (or all vehicles) so that we may edit them? I think I'm right in saying that 95% of modders would be happy with an American sound base, and a European sound base, which would be easily tweak-able in WWise to sound like the engine we want. Requires pretty much zero effort on BBs side, other than releasing their unpackaged WWise project files with associated WAV files.

Janne Suur-Näkki

We understand the concern but the problem is that we didn't create the audio files ourselves so we cannot distribute them in an open format :(
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

sam223

We understand the concern but the problem is that we didn't create the audio files ourselves so we cannot distribute them in an open format :(
Arent some of them royalty free? sure i remember reading that in the readme at some point?
If so couldnt you distribute them whilst still crediting the original author to avoid copyright issues.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Yes some of the audio samples are, but unfortunately engine sounds are not among them so it's a no-go.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

sam223

Yes some of the audio samples are, but unfortunately engine sounds are not among them so it's a no-go.
Fair enough,understandable. I had a quick look at the project file a while back but cant remember exactly. Does it have all the references in there for the copy written sound files? So that all we have to do is just find and replace all the sounds with our own.
If not would that be possible?, would make it pretty easy then i imagine,other than sourcing the actual sounds.

Epidurality

Does it have all the references in there for the copy written sound files? So that all we have to do is just find and replace all the sounds with our own.
Looks like it does. Haven't had time to dive into WWise any further so I don't actually know where we should put our .WAV files, but it literally looks like a full project file where they've simply removed the .WAV files. All references to the files still exist but are RED, assumedly indicating that they are missing.

If I find some time to get more into it, I'll post my findings and/or the easiest way to make our own basic engine sounds and/or links to royalty free samples to use.

sam223

Sounds good, ill see if can get permission from any video filmers to use their sounds recorded

sam223

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:26:01 PM by sam223 »

findRED

Last I remembered, there was some problem getting any cars to take a custom soundbank outside of the default ones BB provides for the cars.  Has this issue been dealt with then?

This summer I plan to get a good mic & equipment for recording engine sounds, though, it's looking more like late summer is when I will be able to afford it.  When I get some good equipment I do plan to get a lot of engine sounds recorded.
Currently I have access to:
basic chev 350 vortec (would be a great tired engine base sound)
chev 305 TPI
Possibly a freshly built 383 chev stroker
Possibly a rebuilt Ford 302. (good for up to 6,000 rpm?)
A 3.0L / 3.4 ford V6 (in an early 2000s Taurus)
A (tired) Chrysler 383 Big Block if it's not taken apart for rebuild by that time.

I was planning on getting the custom sounds for my engine mod, and am willing to release the soundbanks (and possibly originals) for free use.

Again, I may not be able to get the equipment until later this summer.
Laptop:
i7 3630QM 4core 2.4GHz
GT 645M 2GB
6GB RAM

“I created a theme song for the door.” -Unknown Game Composer

MM2 Mods