Author Topic: Wreckfest track tutorial 06 - alternative paths  (Read 1051 times)

Purple44

If alt route checkpoint can't touch the main route sectors, have do a little trickery. Like narrow a couple of main aisectors where the alt route checkpoint will be at? May make the AI taking the main route to hit their brakes thou because race line going have sharp jog to it. But if width between aisectors is narrow like #6 and #7 is, maybe AI won't notice the jog in race line.

Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

The Very End

Yeah, I usually sqeeze one sector to prevent the overlap :) And the AI lines is allways very bad, you must tweak them in the tcat file or they will brake and do silly stuff after the route has been added.

Purple44

Found a why to turn Speedway 1 oval into a suicide oval by using just 2 checkpoints and second checkpoint a loop checkpoint. Will have to put up with red circle coming and going. Half the AI I going to turn around go back the other direction.

But online that not problem, your car will be pointed the right direction to go at start, forward or reverse direction. Keep going that direction and your laps will count.

Had to move second checkpoint to be in front of the cars going reverse direction at start of race so player don't have go around an extra lap compare to cars going in forward direction.

Will take some video, but I should of been in bed a few hours ago, so will do a video maybe tomorrow.

If End can get alt route working, then we could get rid of red circle and AI will go both ways.

Zebulon55

Found a why to turn Speedway 1 oval into a suicide oval by using just 2 checkpoints and second checkpoint a loop checkpoint. Will have to put up with red circle coming and going. Half the AI I going to turn around go back the other direction.

But online that not problem, your car will be pointed the right direction to go at start, forward or reverse direction. Keep going that direction and your laps will count.

Had to move second checkpoint to be in front of the cars going reverse direction at start of race so player don't have go around an extra lap compare to cars going in forward direction.

If End can get alt route working, then we could get rid of red circle and AI will go both ways.

Ummmm...

So this second rule about checkpoints doesn't apply anymore, or it just turns on the red circle and you're o.k. with that?

"Restrictions for using a "loop" checkpoint are:
- "Loop" checkpoints can only exist on the main route (not alt routes).
- There must always be at least one checkpoint between the "loop" checkpoint and the start/finish line checkpoint (in both directions)."

Andrei Räisänen, June 07, 2016  -  Purple44 custom track WIP page., post #98

Too bad there aren't "team Checkpoints" or a "team 2 go thru cps reverse order" setting - then say red team would go clockwise and blue team counterclockwise around same course.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:34:02 AM by Zebulon55 »

Purple44

Ummmm...

So this second rule about checkpoints doesn't apply anymore, or it just turns on the red circle and you're o.k. with that?

"Restrictions for using a "loop" checkpoint are:
- "Loop" checkpoints can only exist on the main route (not alt routes).
- There must always be at least one checkpoint between the "loop" checkpoint and the start/finish line checkpoint (in both directions)."

Andrei Räisänen, June 07, 2016  -  Purple44 custom track WIP page., post #98

Too bad there aren't "team Checkpoints" or a "team 2 go thru cps reverse order" setting - then say red team would go clockwise and blue team counterclockwise around same course.

The rule still apply, that why red circle showing up, on and off for car going in reverse direction and forward direction. Having a checkpoint in between is to stop the red circle from appearing.

The Very End

Breakthrough! After a lot of fidding and bullshit I noticed that there is an thing called alt startpoints. So basically, here all my checkpoints are called #startpointxx_alt1 . And it seems the cars actually follow the path they are starting on! This means the 3 cars on the inside of this pictures follows the route until it's joined and the cars on the outside follows their route without confusion!

Will test this a bit more later.

Edit: further tests shows that after the first lap the AI will ignore this alternative route. It seems that it works as a custom starting route, meaning it would only be used as an custom start points + start route but not as an alternative route. Not tested with adding a second alternative route but will do tomorrow. Maybe just making a lot of custom routes with corresponding #startpoint_altx number should work?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:45:10 PM by The Very End »

Purple44

Breakthrough! After a lot of fidding and bullshit I noticed that there is an thing called alt startpoints. So basically, here all my checkpoints are called #startpointxx_alt1 . And it seems the cars actually follow the path they are starting on! This means the 3 cars on the inside of this pictures follows the route until it's joined and the cars on the outside follows their route without confusion!

Will test this a bit more later.

Edit: further tests shows that after the first lap the AI will ignore this alternative route. It seems that it works as a custom starting route, meaning it would only be used as an custom start points + start route but not as an alternative route. Not tested with adding a second alternative route but will do tomorrow. Maybe just making a lot of custom routes with corresponding #startpoint_altx number should work?

That sound right, the new Tarmac 3 mixed track use an alt route start and Wreckfest uses the alt checkpoint at start of race, but second lap using the checkpoints on the main map.

But I don't think this will fix my suicide oval track if I got reverse direction alt start route. Once the alt route meets the main route, the cars are going want turn around and go the other way if game don't crash I think.

But it work if I wanted to do a start like this, right End?

From Flatout 2.

Hmm, but starting the cars after the start\ finish line might be a problem.

The Very End

At the layout above, isn't that simply solved with two alternative routes? At the start you split the track into two directions which rejoins later?

Purple44

At the layout above, isn't that simply solved with two alternative routes? At the start you split the track into two directions which rejoins later?

Referring to the fig 8 pic? But one those routes would be the main route, say the one going off to the right.

I'm just curious if start\ finish line is checkpoint  #0, will the cars starting on the main route ahead of the  start\ finish line checkpoint  #0, will first lap count? In my test of suicide track, The cars had to pass  start\ finish line checkpoint  #0 twice before the first lap counted.

Now if the second group of cars use the start alt route to the left that has it own start checkpoint, will this group of cars lap count the first time the cars cross the  start\ finish line checkpoint  #0? I think this may happen so the alt route group of cars will be a lap ahead of the main route group of cars.

To avoid this possible problem with this track design, will have to start cars before the start\ finish line and then have the cars do alt route.

In Flatout 2, the first checkpoint that counted was Checkpoint #1, not start\finish line checkpoint. I had a checkpoint that stretch across both loops so when the cars started, they cross checkpoint #1 at start of race.

The Very End

As far as I know, one must have an first checkpoint pretty early on a route to lock the player to it. If you spawns cars ahead of checkpoint01 it will only result in lots of red ring pf doom until checkpoint02 is passed. As for the design previous, as I intreprid it you can manage it wih just one alt route, as you say. All the troubles with custom proxy checkpoints and whatnot could be solved if the main route was the only lap counting route, meaning the alt route splits after start and rejoins before it again.

Usually good standard is to start cars before the first checkpoint, as that will cound as the start and finish line. Also prevent red ring of doom.

I guess it depends on previous experiences, but I like the logic of first checkpoint being S/F instead of a specialy start only checkpoint, but I see that it causes a bit of confusion if one is used to the other.

Edit: short summed up, if cars spawns after checkpoint one the first lap won't count.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:13:39 AM by The Very End »

Zebulon55

If alt route checkpoint can't touch the main route sectors, have do a little trickery. Like narrow a couple of main aisectors where the alt route checkpoint will be at? May make the AI taking the main route to hit their brakes thou because race line going have sharp jog to it. But if width between aisectors is narrow like #6 and #7 is, maybe AI won't notice the jog in race line.

Safeway? You still have Safeway stores? Haven't seen one around here in a long time.   :o

What if you had an alt route that joined a main route right before and after a loop cp? First pass, on main route, could pass cp either side, one side makes you take alt route which is backwards direction on oval. loop cp doesn't work on alt, so would continue against traffic. Alt route could be just inside main route, have own cps and proxy finish? would first cp on alt route count as a cp that is required after a loop cp? hmmm...