Author Topic: IMPORTANT: Next update and modded tracks using our assets  (Read 407 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

IMPORTANT: A quick update on the modded tracks using textures used in our official tracks.

We've been restructuring and cleaning our assets, and as a result, many old assets have been moved to a new location or completely removed. Due to this, any modded tracks using our textures for terrain and/or track surface, decals and so on may be missing some textures come the next update. As unfortunate as this is, it's a necessary evil because we need to reduce the game size and get rid of any duplicate assets.

Although it sounds scary, there's actually a very easy workaround for the issue if you simply look up all the textures your custom track is using and then copy them to your mod's folder, mimicking the original folder structure, and share them with your mod. This way, the game should find the texture without you needing to change the paths manually in 3ds Max or Blender.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

The Very End

You ow me a beer ;)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Yeah damn, I was thinking the same... :D
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

sam223

Any news on the tire file changes or how changing of visual parts works yet?
So i can start fixing them for when the update comes,rather than rushing around after its released.
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Janne Suur-Näkki

I will write instructions next week or so when we've gone fully public.

Not sure how much you can do without having the build, though, since you need the latest Bageditor + of course the game for testing.

sam223

I will write instructions next week or so when we've gone fully public.

Not sure how much you can do without having the build, though, since you need the latest Bageditor + of course the game for testing.
Ok,what should i do in there interim? Tell people to disable the mods before you update the main game? Or will the tire changes not be game breaking?

I don't want to be troubleshooting why peoples games don't work is what im thinking, not if i can prevent it happening anyway.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:10:41 PM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Janne Suur-Näkki

Your mods will continue work to normally until we update the game and when we do, it should only take an hour or two to fix the vehicles. Basically the easiest way to get you going quickly is to copy our property files for the new performance parts + tires, change their root reference to point to your custom car and update the career cavs file to point to those files and that's it.

The tire changes are game breaking (the game will crash) and while the rest are not fatal they will render multiplayer inaccessible since you can't enter a multiplayer with a car that's missing parts, hence you will need to add all the new performance parts to them even though you might choose them to have no effect in performance. For the vis. parts we'll still figuring out the best way to fix cars that do not have any, we'll probably know more next week so I'm hopeful I can include some helpful steps into that guide I promised.

tads421

Being as there will be a new Bagedit will we need to re-export the custom tracks again like we did a few months ago? just want to get things ready if we do :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Maybe it's a small consolation but actually no :) If you don't have to edit any of the texture paths there's no need for a re-export.

RickyB

Does this include the gameplay props like barrels, concrete barriers, ad-boards and so on? If so, we will have to open bagedit, look inside every prop we use and find out what textures they are using?
So I either could just copy those textures into the mod folder or change the texture path in bagedit to the new path?
Will there be a simple logic to texture paths of objects like - old texture is in 'data\art\textures' , new texture will be in 'data\art\objects\propname' or 'data\art\objects\propname\textures' ?
Some props use special .dntp files (in data/art/objects) - in Stuntfest some are already in 'data\art\objects\propname', will those also be in new folders after the next update?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:43:26 PM by RickyB »

Purple44

Does this include the gameplay props like barrels, concrete barriers, ad-boards and so on? If so, we will have to open bagedit, look inside every prop we use and find out what textures they are using?
So I either could just copy those textures into the mod folder or change the texture path in bagedit to the new path?
Will there be a simple logic to texture paths of objects like - old texture is in 'data\art\textures' , new texture will be in 'data\art\objects\propname' or 'data\art\objects\propname\textures' ?
Some props use special .dntp files (in data/art/objects) - in Stuntfest some are already in 'data\art\objects\propname', will those also be in new folders after the next update?

I suggest this to Janne over at the Steam forum for a fix for the props:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228380/discussions/0/133258092240267857/?ctp=6#c133258092251230730

Quote from: jannesBB;133258593386555723
Quote from: Purple44;133258092251230730
Janne I have a suggestion if Bugbear keep the new restructure folders. Could Bugbear keep the old folder structure of \data\art\objects, delete the old objects and then put in the new objects that have the correct path to the new texture folder. Currently there only 38 MB of objects files. I think this be a small price to pay to keep most track mods working.

Thanks, that's actually a very good suggestion! I can see no harm in having a measly 38 MB of duplicate data as long as it helps keeping the modded content working.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

RickyB

Awesome, would be great if they did that. Exactly what I was thinking about, the ~40mb objects folder, and having the updated objects with new texture paths in the old objects folder really would save a lot of work :)

Pritchard

Tire model changes... Hopefully I'll be able to recreate the custom tire models i'm tinkering with in the current Steam build. Obviously difficult to make promises, but will this be the last time a major change to the tire model takes place?

Janne Suur-Näkki

No changes have been made to the props (at this point), the asset changes mentioned above only affect environment (i.e. the track + the terrain).

As for the tire model changes, there have been no major physics changes for the tires so any custom physics you might be using will work as before. The difference is in the couple of data files to accommodate the addition of visually different looking tyre + rim types. Basically what has been done is that the earlier veti (tire) and vets (tireset) have been deprecated and replaced with vtif and vtir data types for front and rear wheels, respectively.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:03:16 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »