Author Topic: Updating custom content for June Update  (Read 1578 times)

Janne Suur-Näkki

TRACKS
=======

Missing textures?
----------------------
We've been restructuring and cleaning our asset database, and as a result, many old texture assets have been moved to a new location or completely removed. Due to this, any modded tracks using our textures for terrain and/or track surface, decals and so on may be missing textures come the next update (shown as purple in-game). As unfortunate as this is, it was a necessary evil because we need to reduce the game size and get rid of any duplicate assets.

Although it sounds scary, there's actually a very easy workaround for the issue if you still have all the assets you need for you track. Simply look up all the textures your custom track is using and then copy them to your mod's folder, mimicking the original folder structure, and share them together with your mod. This way, the game should find the texture without you needing to change the paths manually in 3ds Max or Blender.

If you don't have the assets anymore due to for example updating the game and you can't get them from anyone, the only way to fix your track is to update the materials manually in 3ds Max or Blender. Please do note that some of the old official textures might have been removed completely due to being obsolete.

New Event DB bag files
-------------------------------
We've also updated the event db configuration, and while the old evss type is still being somewhat supported, any custom tracks missing the new data files cannot be used in a dedicated server environment. As an added bonus by using the new data files you can create "a folder" (a main slot in the track selection menu) under which you can put all your tracks neatly and add descriptions for both location and tracks.

New event files:

Basically, for one track you need to create two new files: envi for the location, and evse for the track (event). For now, these files must be located in data/property/event folder, otherwise they will not be read by the game! For the location file, you can name is as you wish and store it in a folder with a same name. However, the track name MUST be of the following format: "location_track.evse", location being the name of folder and the envi file. In the evse file you will define the track asset location in the same fashion as before. Please check the example tracks for reference.

Preview images
---------------------

To add custom preview images for location and track selection menu, loading screen and race results, at the moment you need to place the textures in data\menu\textures and not in your event's folder, so create mods\YOURMOD\data\menu\textures and place the textures there.

For the location, you'll need:

env_[location]_large_832x386_raw
env_[location]_small_250x116_raw

...where [location] is the name of your location, same as your location folder or the envi file, for example, "sandpit1".

Note that [location] needs to be in lower case even if your event file is wholly or partially in uppercase.

And for the track itself you'll need:

event_[track]_large_832x386_raw
event_[track]_loading_1920x1200_raw
event_[track]_results_812x162_raw
event_[track]_250x116_raw

...where [track] is the name of your track so basically location + track, i.e. your evse file. For example, "sandpit1_long_loop".

Again, [track] needs to be in lowercase.

Please note that the naming conventions must be adhered to 100%, otherwise the images will not show up.

This is how the end result should look like for one location with one event:

Kev (TADS) was super kind and shared the Photoshop template he created for the preview image:

PSD
ZIP

VEHICLES
=========

The main new feature for the vehicles is of course the support for the visual customization parts, but in addition to that, there are a number of new performance upgrade parts. Also, the tire part data has changed. As a result, custom vehicles need to updated with the new parts, otherwise they will crash the game or won't be allowed to be used in multiplayer. Now you're probably thinking that there's no way you're going to model all those visual parts for your vehicles, but fear not, you can use "dummy" parts like we used in the example car. These are basically just empty bogus parts that contain no actual data but satisfy the requirements of our finicky engine so that your car can be used in-game both single player and multiplayer.

Tires
-------
First things first: the tire parts. Failure the update these parts will cause the game to crash or your vehicle to be catapuled into the earth's orbit as soon as you switch to it, so it's a good idea to update the tires first so that you can view your car in-game.

The easiest way to do it is to check our update example car in mods\example\data\vehicle\mod_vehicle_1 and the part\tires folder. As you can see, the old tires (bag type veti) and tire sets (type vets) have been replaced with vtif and vtir file types for front and rear wheels, respectively. To update your custom car, simply take our example tire files, copy them to the same folder as your vehicle's original tires, match the physical properties to that of your old tires (you can copy the block over) and finally, update the upgrade parent to point to your custom vehicle's root. After that is done, you're ready to open your vehicle's career assembly file (cavs) and update the "Front Tires" and "Rear Tires" assembly fields to point to your new tire files.

Other new parts
----------------------
Now that you're looking at your vehicle's assembly, you've no doubt noticed that there a lot of new assembly parts and that most of them are missing for your car. Fixing that will be our next step. Navigate back to our example car's part folder and notice that there's a folder for each assembly part. Thanks to that, it will be easy for you to copy all the missing parts to your vehicles part folder. You'll need all the missing performance parts as well as all the visual parts, so yes, copy those right over.

After that's done, you'll need to update each part's Upgrade Parent to point to your vehicle's root (for visual parts) or engine (most performance parts). Here's the full list:

Fixing the vehicle assembly
-------------------------------------
After you're done with parenting the parts, navigate back your career vehicle's assembly and update the parts to point to the new parts. Turbo functionality has been removed and the part itself doesn't make any difference, so you can point it to any turbo part, like for example the dummy part we use for the example car.

Completed vehicle assembly:

Don't forget that if you're using a lot of parts that have no real effect but are dummies, and your mod contains a number of cars, you can create a shared part folder, put all the shared parts there and add all your vehicle roots and engines as parents for the parts. This way you don't need to create unique parts for every vehicle.

After you're done your vehicle is ready to be used in single player as well as multiplayer!

Creating custom visual parts
----------------------------------------
If you've already taken a closer look at the part data files of visual parts no doubt you've noticed that they contain two interesting sounding fields, "Install Visual Parts" and "Uninstall Visual Parts". You're right, these two fields are used to show or hide objects when the part is being installed. You can use the Uninstall Visual Parts field to for example remove the hood when the player installs super sized header pipes, so it's a pretty versatile system.

Adding visual parts to your models is actually very straight-forward since all the visual parts are contained in the same model as your vehicle.

After you've created your part object in 3ds Max or Blender, leave it visible in the scene and name it as per the following scheme:

IDENTIFIER#part0

The number is a running numbering for the parts so the first part is part0, the second one part1, and so on.

So for example when creating a roll cage, you would name the mesh roll_cage#part0 like here:

After you've saved and exported your vehicle, create a bag data file of the correct type with the same running number or copy one from the example car and rename it as follows:

IDENTIFIER0

For our roll cage example, this would be roll_cage0.vrol

After that, modify the bag data file,  set "Install Visual Parts" number to 1 (just one part, the one you just created) and set the value to match your visual part type + running number:

IDENTIFIER_0

For the example roll cage it would be as follows: roll_cage_0

Notice that when creating actual customization parts that the player can install and uninstall the bag part files cannot be shared, otherwise the part can only be installed for one car.

List of supported visual parts and their identifiers:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:56:12 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Janne Suur-Näkki

Yes, it looks very ugly for now, I can see that :)

---

Somewhat better now. In case of any follow-up questions or anything please drop a note and I'll add more info.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:57:34 PM by Janne Suur-Näkki »
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

RickyB

Is there maybe a chance to get the example folder and files (for tracks) before the update? Unless the update comes today or tomorrow, then it probably doesn't matter. :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

Hell or high water, it's coming out today :)

sam223

Hell or high water, it's coming out today :)
Is that the patch for main game today?
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Janne Suur-Näkki

Yes, we're currently building it so it's still some hours away.

The Very End

Oh fuck me sideways, this will be the end of me. Alright thanks for info at least :)

Janne Suur-Näkki

I take it you have some stuff to do :) Sorry about that.

I don't think you need to update everything right away, though, just take it easy.

The Very End

Haha no worries, just realizing the amount of work I have ahead of me, alltho it's not just bad :) Great hearing about the patch coming, I'll get time to warn people that my mod will be a potential death trap until fixed haha!

pben1

Janne , #committed

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Intel Xeon quad v3-1220@3.10ghz/ASUS Z97-A
Nvida GTX 960 2gb/16gb HyperX ram/Windows 10/ Thrustmaster TX Leather/ T3PA /G27 Shift

sam223

Haha no worries, just realizing the amount of work I have ahead of me, alltho it's not just bad :) Great hearing about the patch coming, I'll get time to warn people that my mod will be a potential death trap until fixed haha!
Same for me :) hopefully disabling on the workshop will stop people loading with mods until they are fixed
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

The Very End

Yeah, saw your post, thanks for informing the crowd before they all go apeshit ;)
For now I have slapped a BIG warning on my mod, as most likely it will be a texture issue thing until I have had the time fixing it. Guess it's my luck, travvelig away for 5 days next week so it will take some time.

tads421

Janne, Thanks for the heads up.... i have sorted my track pack and all seams to be working.... only thing i cant seam to get working is the track images and loading screens... i have tried the old way and i have also use the same way you have done in the default data folder ie: data/menu/textures but the game still does not pick them up? i did re-read your post but i couldn't find anything about this. Is this not working atm? also Mod image is not working in mod manager i didn't know if that was the same case not sorted yet.

Thanks
Kev

PS: Great Update once you understand the new locations of the ui :D

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks, Kev! It's been a lot of hard work and we're pretty happy about where we are now, although of course a lot more work remains.

Great to hear you already have your tracks up and running, that was quick! As for the images, we were going to add proper templates for those but ran out of time. To make them work (at the moment), you need to place the textures in data\menu\textures and not in your event's folder, so create mods\YOURMOD\data\menu\textures and place the textures there.

For the location, you'll need:

env_LOCATION_large_832x386_raw
env_LOCATION_small_250x116_raw

...where LOCATION is the name of your location, same as your location folder or the envi file. for example, "sandpit1".

And for the track itself you'll need:

event_TRACK_large_832x386_raw
event_TRACK_loading_1920x1200_raw
event_TRACK_results_812x162_raw
event_TRACK_small_250x116_raw

...where TRACK is the name of your track so basically LOCATION+TRACK, i.e. your evse file. For example, "sandpit1_long_loop".

I'm writing off the top of my head so hopefully I got everything right :)

tads421

Thanks for the reply Janne,

I have the main icon working.... what i have is... My Mod is called.... UKShortOvals.... so i have made a folder in data\property\event called UKShortOvals inside there i have UKShortOvals.ENVI and then my tracks.... i will put a few here...

UKShortOvals
UKShortOvals.ENVI
UKShortOvals_AldershotEmpty.EVSE
UKShortOvals_arenaessex.EVSE

and so on.... i have also made new folders for menus.... data\menu\textures and inside there i have
env_ukshortovals_small_250x116_raw.bmap
env_arenaessex_large_832x386_raw
env_arenaessex_small_250x116_raw.bmap
event_arenaessex_results_812x162_raw.bmap

and so on now the main image is working for my track pack env_ukshortovals_small_250x116_raw,bmap but no others are working... i have tried the following naming to test with....

env_UKShortOvals_arenaessex_large_832x386_raw.bmap
env_arenaessex_large_832x386_raw.bmap

event_UKShortOvals_arenaessex_loading_1920x1200_raw.bmap
event_arenaessex_loading_1920x1200_raw.bmap

but none seams to be working. i have attached a couple of images.

duno what i have done wrong :S lol

Kev