Author Topic: June Update  (Read 24041 times)

JohnBart

Had a chance to wreck some competition on most levels. Below are my thoughts, I hope they'll be helpful. :)
Good work in short, the update is a definite step in the right direction in my opinion. :)

Pros:

- New GUI has lots of potential. I like the overall style and color palette.

- Driving model seems to improve with each update, even when I think it cannot be made any better. I can pull off precise and fine maneuvers even with a keyboard (with all assists on, mind you), which surely helps wreaking havoc on the track. Excellent work.

- Work-in-progress tracks improved a lot, they generally look lovely.

- Car customization segment has potential, too.

- Huge kudos for removing the part wear mechanic! Is it planned to be re-worked and re-introduced some way in career, or can we kiss bye-bye to it? Either way, I'm glad you got rid of it in single player as well.

Improvement ideas:

- The current layout of the GUI requires a lot of clicking and backtracking. Specifically, I noticed I cannot access the car configurator from the Track Selector menu: I can only select the car itself. Since players are expected to adapt their car configuration to the upcoming track (e.g. change the gearbox or the suspension setup), I recommend adding a button that would lead to the car configurator from the track selection. Currently, for example, when changing from a Tarmac track to a Mixed one, I need to leave the Track Selector, go to the Main Menu, and then to the Garage menu to be able to set the suspension from Stiff to Standard. ;)

- Game seems to have a heavier load on my rig than the previous build. I generally get about 10-15 fps less with the same settings than previously. I hope to see more optimization as the release date draws nearer.

- The dust effect is really overkill at the moment on Dirt and Mixed tracks. Not only I cannot see the competition ahead, but it's hard to follow the track layout as well. It also has an impact on fps I think. Please reduce the effect, we don't need sandstorms on dirt tracks. ;)

- I noticed that the results now show no race achievements (such as Best Wrecker, Speedster, Bulldozer, etc.). Were they removed? If so, are there any plans to bring back similar incentives for banger racing? Also, how is the amount of money we receive after each race is calculated now? Does the game consider crashes, lap time and final result as well?

In any way, this update worth the wait, even if there is a lot of work ahead. Onneksi olkoon! ;)

rhamm

There's an AI in this class C Crash Canyon race whose a lot braver than me.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:17:42 PM by rhamm »
Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz, Geforce GTX 670
16GB DDR3
Fanatec Clubsport Wheel V2 with Porsche 918 RSR
V1 Clubsport Pedals plugged into wheel as 1 device

JohnBart

Yeah, I met the guy in Class A as well. Classic balls of steel. :D

BenDover

The AM1 is intact in a clean save, so you'll either have to delete your save or possibly purchase the missing parts (check at the garage what parts are missing).

Deleting my save worked, thanks Janne :)
Clean and fair racer, but dont make me mad ;)
Clean Racer? Head on over to BenDovers NCG Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BensNCG#

Nvidia GTX 760, AMD FX-8350 8-core, 16 ram DDR3, Crosshair v forumla-z,

Janne Suur-Näkki

How do you get the lawnmower guy to appear, did you set the AI Set yourself or just go straight to the race?

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, JohnBart!
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Janne Suur-Näkki

Deleting my save worked, thanks Janne :)

Np :) Seems to be the same deal almost after every update, but we never learn to wipe it automatically.
INTEL i7-4790K @ 4.8GHZ || EKWB WATER COOLING || NVIDIA TITAN BLACK || GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER Z97 || NEXUS RX-8500 || 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE || 500GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD || 4TB HDD || ASUS PROART PA279Q || ASUS PROART PA248Q || 3DCONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO || NI KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 || WINDOWS 8.1 PRO

Devin

I'm sorry but for the first time I have to start off with something hugely negative:
What in the world happened to force feedback? It has turned into body roll simulator 2017! It doesn't actually give me any feedback anymore, instead it just overexaggerates body roll forces from the car and gives me those. Not only does that feel really odd, but also does it destroy immersion and tells my hands something different than my eyes do. It just isn't right anymore. From my few laps of testing, literally all I felt was body roll. No rough terrain, nothing that the wheels were doing, no bumps, nothing. Just the body roll.

I couldn't test any other aspects of the game because that just completely ruined it for me. Of course I could still play with a controller, but since I'm a simracer, that's not going to happen too often.

Well the car customization is really nice and actually makes me want to spend time in the garage modifying my car (which wasn't the case before), but I didn't get any further than trying that out unfortunately. And online I was told that my car was missing parts, but I had to leave in order to access the parts menu - where apparently I had all parts installed and I could do quick races. So either I'm blind or that is a bug. From reading through here it seems that it is indeed a bug and can be fixed by deleting my save. So at least there's a way to fix it  :)

I hope the FFB will be reverted back to how it used to be, where I could feel every single bump. That FFB was rFactor2-level, which is the only sim in the world that actually takes forces from the steering column. So Wreckfest really nailed it before. I don't get why that change was necessary. I'll definitely hop back into the game if that happens. But for now I just can't

sam223

Sam, 1 is coming, 2 most likely too and 3 is something we're looking into it. There have been more pressing issues (and some are still not quite sorted, including optimization) in the vehicle physics that we wanted to get done first, but it's coming.
Good to hear
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, MSI GTX 1060 6GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

rhamm

How do you get the lawnmower guy to appear, did you set the AI Set yourself or just go straight to the race?

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, JohnBart!

Went straight to a quick race without changing anything besides the number of laps.  I haven't downloaded any mods or anything.

Which wheel do you have Devin?  I'll have to setup my Fanatec CSW V2 when I get home tonight.  I just played with a 360 controller at lunch.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:53:12 PM by rhamm »
Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz, Geforce GTX 670
16GB DDR3
Fanatec Clubsport Wheel V2 with Porsche 918 RSR
V1 Clubsport Pedals plugged into wheel as 1 device

Devin

Which wheel do you have Devin?
G27. Before the update Wreckfest's FFB was as detailed as the FFB in the best sim in the world, and ironically the only sim that simulates it the way it should be simulated correctly. Which for a simcade is a huge accomplishment. Now it's just 3x too strong and all the forces except for body roll are completely gone. And body roll gives you on/off kind of feedback. So once steering in, you have to fight the wheel. But the moment you go straight again, the force just *poof* disappears and because humans can't react so quickly, you just steer in once again, whether you want to or not. This is pretty ironic, because in a real car you literally feel the opposite of what this update has turned FFB into - you'll barely feel body roll, you even feel the actual weight on the front axle combined much stronger than the roll. But both are not strong at all, unless you use an unrealistically high amount of caster. All the small effects like rough terrain, bumps, kerbs, depending on the car locked tyres, of course jumps and the car almost taking off you do feel however. But no longer in this update it seems.

TheEngiGuy

Oi Bugbear, thanks for making the driving a bit more challenging without assists. Feels good. I still have to say that handling feels a bit too slidey on tarmac, but otherwise, I'm having fun.
Car customization is awesome even if not finished yet. Looking forward to see even more parts added overtime!

Many people have already reported the current issues here, so that's good.

MaexxDesign

I always have this message in the multiplayer-lobby:
"parts missing"

I can't get ready. :(

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for the feedback regarding the FFB, Devin, it's something that we're very keen to hear. We were under the impression that we were actually improving it but of course, it's a lot about the wheel you're using as well as subjective opinion. We're definitely open for a discussion and dialing in further adjustments or even reverting back, so please everyone, if you're a wheel user let's hear what you think.

And thanks EngiGuy, glad you're enjoying!

As a sidenote it looks like the ragdoll is still bugged (model missing), will be fixed in a hotfix later this week.

Janne Suur-Näkki

MaexxDesign, you can check if your cars have a any missing parts (at garage). If not, then you need to delete your save data.

MamieNova

MamieNova, the visual parts will eventually have weight and damage/armor modifiers, and when they do, the whole system will become much more interesting act of balancing the car performance/strenght as well as staying in the class. Currently it's more or less just something to play with.

Yeah, I've been mentioning this here and there every few month; the visual parts changing the weight is nice (although the clean crew will simply just end up running naked all the time ^^)
but I feel there could be a very small addition that could have a lot of potential : alternate parts.
(Still haven't finished downloading so I'll use an example relevant to the previous build)
The american 1 features two engines but there is no real gain to using the 327ci. SO basically, the only option is to go for the 350ci.
Even for B class racing, the 327ci wouldn't work as a slightly underupgraded 350ci falls at B195 while a fully upgraded 327 tops at B165.
But if we ignore the pure power loss, there isn't much difference between both engine, max torque/power curves are pretty similarly shaped.
So the 327 merely uses disk space. It also features slightly inferior max RPM, so it literally has nothing on its side.

When I talk about additional parts it's more like : give me an engine that rivals the 350 but behaves differently. Like 1K more RPM BUT lower torque, or max torque at say 2K RPM when the 350 gets it at 4.2K RPM.
That's the kind of differences I would love to play with, it would open so many options for players to make a car that fits their style. Max power at low RPM ? Hell yeah, let's see those up/downshifting timings!

Using engine A or B would suddenly impact your gearbox choice on a track, and basically, two AM1 are now two very different cars.

Make the 327ci weight less (now I understand that one may be much more annoying to implement right now)

I might actually try to design an alternate engine but I don't really like the idea of it existing only as a mod (and I'd rather rely on the real guys than myself to create something not broken XD)
Words are ones' power and others' last resort.
----
Asus X99 Deluxe, 6-cores i7-5930k@3.5Ghz,
DDR4 16GB@3.2Ghz, Poseidon GTX980,
Windows 10 x64
----
alternate :  Asus ROG G750JX-T4279H
----
Shameless boasting ^^ :
- Thermaltake Level 10 Titanium Edition
- Harman Kardon GLA-55