Author Topic: Let's Talk Damage...  (Read 1213 times)

djfil007

Damage is what Wreckfest is all about.  But sometimes it's too far fetched.  I'm still driving my car with next to no consequences, even after it's fully crumpled and my driver barely has a seat.

How much more balance and work is going in to the damage model?  Will we see the handling model affected by damage (pulling to the side, missing gears, engine performance, etc)?  Will there be a more realistic "end point" where you're forced out of the race earlier due to damage (or injured driver)?

Otherwise keep up the good work.  It's been a long road, but I'm really happy with where the game has come from, and where it appears to be going.
Win 10 | i5-3570K | 8GB RAM | GTX 970 4GB | 256GB SSD | 3x 24" 1080p Monitors
"SW20" SimuCUBE OSW | CSR Elite Pedals | Thrustmaster TH8A | 7" LCD Z1 SimDash

sam223

Lots more balancing no doubt.Definitely difficult to balance between impressive visual realism and gameplay. Do you tie deformations to health (soft but die fast) or do you have it like now (soft but die slow) or do you have them stronger (strong but die slow). Each has its own positives and negatives.
But there are systems in game already to help with this, just some of it isnt setup yet (i think)
Proxies for example, you can view these by using the dev menu ('\') in single player. These allow you to individual adjust the stiffness of a area of the model. At the minute bugbears car don't have a zone protecting the driver,but its easy to add one to protect him completely.

As a comparison heres a bugbear car and one ive built.

Just need a box around the driver to stop him getting squashed

Id also like to know about performance affecting damage. I recently stumbled on this but it doesn't seem to have any effect in the game at the minute

One for @jannes to answer i think
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:47:11 AM by sam223 »
Dell U2515H 25",  i5-4690k @4.0ghz, 8gb ram, Zotac GTX 960 4GB, 120gb SSD, 1tb HHD, win 7, G25/Ps3 pad
Online Bangers:Wreckfest - https://goo.gl/AjDHU2

Mopower

I have been hoping for ages for more realistic and less over the top damage as well. Immersion is at a negative atm...
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

djfil007

I have been hoping for ages for more realistic and less over the top damage as well. Immersion is at a negative atm...

It's kind of odd don't you think, that there's a group who complains that the handling is becoming too realistic (not me, really enjoying it with my wheel right now).  But even with Bugbear going in this more realistic direction, the deformation is not following suit.  I have very few complaints about this game and it's current state... but this is the biggest one.

Maybe like DiRT 4, they need "gamer" and "simulation" modes.  Driving and damage, as separate options even.

Related image from a drive tonight.
Still drives straight and camera hasn't moved an inch... but my car is trashed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:31:46 AM by djfil007 »
Win 10 | i5-3570K | 8GB RAM | GTX 970 4GB | 256GB SSD | 3x 24" 1080p Monitors
"SW20" SimuCUBE OSW | CSR Elite Pedals | Thrustmaster TH8A | 7" LCD Z1 SimDash

Tonza

Well I do love the crazy damage model, that's what makes Wreckfest so unique to me. My only complaint is the floating wheels, but it seems to occur less often since the last update

Purple44

It's kind of odd don't you think, that there's a group who complains that the handling is becoming too realistic (not me, really enjoying it with my wheel right now).  But even with Bugbear going in this more realistic direction, the deformation is not following suit.  I have very few complaints about this game and it's current state... but this is the biggest one.

Maybe like DiRT 4, they need "gamer" and "simulation" modes.  Driving and damage, as separate options even.

Related image from a drive tonight.
Still drives straight and camera hasn't moved an inch... but my car is trashed.

Ya I do think Bugbear going need give us at least 2 damage options to keep both camps happy.

Flatout 2 had damage level with 4 options: 0.5 ( slow death ), 1.0 ( normal Flatout death ), 1.5 ( a quicker death and 2.0 a fast car death.
Flatout Joint, where the mods were.

i5 2500, 8GB, Nvidia 660 960, SB Recon, Win 10 or Win7 64bit, DFGT Wheel

RickyB

I like it as it is, except sometimes there seems to be too little deformation on big hits, but that is another topic I think. :)
Quote from BugBear : "It’s all about fun, breakneck racing and over-the-top crashes.
It would feel weird having over-the-top crashes but under-the-top (or more 'realistic') damage and deformation.
Flatout 2 had damage level with 4 options: 0.5 ( slow death ), 1.0 ( normal Flatout death ), 1.5 ( a quicker death and 2.0 a fast car death.

I remember that; was a nice option to have but I think I very rarely used it, if ever. Still a nice option :)

Mopower

I liked the build when they added those crazy skins for the sedan and the body panels actually stayed on the cars but the cars still bent.
i like to honk to make my worse air
This is why we can't have nice things.

Finsku

- There is still a bug where your car "blend" with car if you fall over that car. So blending happens if cars are stacked. At the same time both cars take small damage.
- Cars' sides distorts (right word?) easily. Even "small" touch can twist car and break all windows.
- Looks like the environment damage is lowered since last update. Hitting a tree with high speed doesn't make as much damage as what it (imo) should make.

Small corrections and damage will be more amazing (its amazing already)!

KingOfTheCakes

One thing that bugs me is that the walls don't do enough damage. It needs bumping up a bit more because you can still wall ride without punishing your car that much.
Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50 ghz
AMD Radeon R9 270x Sapphire GPU
8gb Ram DDR2
Corsair 750w PSU
Windows 7 64-bit OS