Author Topic: Randomly hopping vehicles  (Read 1487 times)

Majatek

ISSUE
Randomly hopping vehicles

DESCRIPTION
Certain damage states cause both European and American cars to jump (though I'm pretty sure you know of this bug already), however, it rarely happens with the American cars.

SCREENSHOT/VIDEO

DEV STATUS

DEV COMMENT
YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

Janne Suur-Näkki

Do you know any additional reproduction steps? For example, have you left the game running until the issue occurs?

Majatek

Unfortunately no as it happens seemingly at random. It may be interesting to note however that it also happens directly after the false-start glitch that - by the looks of my edited topic on the issue - you have already fixed.

Vehicles that have this glitch are often characteristically very "wobbly" and "jittery" as if their AI is fighting for control on the current spline that they're following (which leads to the random hops as if the jittery nature of their driving winds up an internal "spring" prior to launching into the air).
YouTube - Twitter

Having problems with purchasing NCG? Contact support@bugbear.fi

I moderate forums & break games

iMess

I concurr, this happens to me. Its seems to be random but only on race tracks, not noticed on derby. Doesn't seem to be a graphical error as the whole car model hops, and wheels & suspension indicate this too.

copmac

Derby has even a more stranger AI glitch.

All cars start to do Donuts. Like the AI is stuck in een left turn loop.

Even when I hit a car they kept doing donuts. Very funy synchronic view :-)

I only got that once. I played a lot all kind af raced 24 cars.

Got a I5 3570 3.4 CPU 16gig ram win 8.1 GTX690 and all on max. (doubt that this is causing the glitch)

I don't have a video i'm trying to reproduce that one but it seems to have specific conditions.

Dwarfy2k

Confirming seeing the randomly hopping cars, Almost always the Euro car though. I've seen it happen before, after and during crashes and I've seen it when the car is driving normally too. I just today finished a race and the car next to mine suddenly bounced up and to the right making it high enough to bounce well into the pitstop.

Sadly I always miss this for recordings but I shall try.

crazychris4124

I seem to get it when it goes into spectator mode after wrecking or finishing a race and when the euro cars roll over

RatPat

Yes. I also see when this happen.
I believe that this is due a minor glitch in the suspension programming. Jumping is more common in damaged cars. Also I think the suspension programming forgot car weight or calculates it wrong. In which case the suspension force is greater than the weight of the vehicle. As a result, the car jumps.
it is theory just a theory.

iMess

Derby has even a more stranger AI glitch.

All cars start to do Donuts. Like the AI is stuck in een left turn loop.

Even when I hit a car they kept doing donuts. Very funy synchronic view :-)

I only got that once. I played a lot all kind af raced 24 cars.

Got a I5 3570 3.4 CPU 16gig ram win 8.1 GTX690 and all on max. (doubt that this is causing the glitch)

I don't have a video i'm trying to reproduce that one but it seems to have specific conditions.

This is a different issue.

Janne Suur-Näkki

Thanks for all the reports, they help us tremendously. Most likely the issue is caused when the car gets deformed due to damage, and a collision mesh somewhere gets dislocated in a way that's not desirable. It's probably somehow related to suspension or wheels since the affected cars also seem very wobbly, leading to AI having problems keeping the car in line like Majatek had came to notice.