Daystars Mega Skypack - Released - On Steam Workshop!

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
First, a BIG thanks Daystar for this weather pack you did! :D

With the variety of weather maps in the pack, everybody should find at least one map they like. I found more than 1. :D

So I spend a good half a day testing the weather maps on the GoKart Raceway track. Some weather maps did not work well with the GoKart Raceway track if the sun was in the wrong spot and cast long, dark shadows over the track. But most weather maps work fine. :)

Here a video of a few weather maps in action:

And some pics:

I whittle the 50 weather maps down to 15 I like the most and added them to the GoKart Raceway mod. Thanks Daystar for letting me use the the weather maps in my mod. :D

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Hey thanks a lot Purple! and yer welcome bud!! and yeah, I made it a variety pack, so there is a little of something for everyone :p there may be a few low res ones ie: Arroyo, Arizona Blue Ridge.. they were basically my first ones I began with. but they still look cool somehow haha! I hope I did not overkill my mega pack with to many abstract ones lol! but just wanted to spice it up a bit, with totally different things.
and about the long shadows... yeah if I ever make another sky pack, I will raise the sun up a bit higher ;) Just I like shadows hehe! thanks again, and cool vid! I will grab it later for my Steam page!
Oh! and that rocks you want to include 15 of my skys! have a cool day!

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Daystar said:
Hey thanks a lot Purple! and yer welcome bud!! and yeah, I made it a variety pack, so there is a little of something for everyone :p there may be a few low res ones ie: Arroyo, Arizona Blue Ridge.. they were basically my first ones I began with. but they still look cool somehow haha! I hope I did not overkill my mega pack with to many abstract ones lol! but just wanted to spice it up a bit, with totally different things.
and about the long shadows... yeah if I ever make another sky pack, I will raise the sun up a bit higher ;) Just I like shadows hehe! thanks again, and cool vid! I will grab it later for my Steam page!

I would not worry to much about the shadows. I like shadows too. If weather map did not work on gokart track, I go try it on sandpit and most the time the shadows are ok.

And for derbys, don't think the shadows would matter much. Also I may have evil plans for the Starry Night weather map. :eek:

"Oh! and that rocks you want to include 15 of my skys! have a cool day!"

The Suicide Sandpit 1 track will be using a bunch more that I could not use at the Gokart Raceway track. :D

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Purple44 said:
Daystar said:

I would not worry to much about the shadows. I like shadows too. If weather map did not work on gokart track, I go try it on sandpit and most the time the shadows are ok.

And for derbys, don't think the shadows would matter much. Also I may have evil plans for the Starry Night weather map. :eek:

"Oh! and that rocks you want to include 15 of my skys! have a cool day!"

The Suicide Sandpit 1 track will be using a bunch more that I could not use at the Gokart Raceway track. :D
Sounds all good! Your suicide track looks really fun so far, according to your video you made for me! I see the AI having a little trouble in spots, but I Am sure you will iron out the problem areas 8)

Also on a side note, I am experimenting with adding more mountain scenes! but getting the detail and map orientation fixed is really a tricky issue!
but tonight I did discover that by lowering the ambiance level down, it makes the track look more real. I have a lot more experimenting to do.

Also sadly, Bugbear has not gotten back to me, about my question I asked.. what size are their skybox dimensions? currently I am using 2048 X 2048 which is mostly in my mega skypack.
A couple I did use 1024 X 1024... but you can really see the squareness in the upper sky. wish Bugbear had used sky domes (like an upside down cereal bowl) as opposed to skyBOXES... ahwell.

Here is screen shots of me trying new Washington State scenery... lots of experiments I am doing tonight hehe.

Edit:Do not know why I said 2042X2042 meant 2048X2048 ughh haha

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
You mean you got Mount Rainer in the background??

Here what Mount Rainer look from the Yakima Valley where I'm at:

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Nah I don't think it represents Mt. Rainer, but it is someplace in Washington... is all the info I know. ::)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Does not look familiar, but the Cascade Mountain range stretch through all of Washington. Lots of mountains.

MamieNova

"Oh no he didn't!"
Like the mod a lot (though some weathers make it harder to see what's happening ^^).

I'd like to see the weathers packs join the skins packs in the "not a game restricting mod" category.

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
MamieNova said:
Like the mod a lot (though some weathers make it harder to see what's happening ^^).

I'd like to see the weathers packs join the skins packs in the "not a game restricting mod" category.
Me too! sad that weathers trigger game modification. would be nice to see some online racing videos from Youtube with my skys featured. :D

Edit: Forgot to say Thank You! silly me.. lol

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Making a new sky pack. including 3 different aurora borealis ones.
having some issues with size dimensions. I am using 2048X2048 for each side of the sky box, yet some are looking low resolution. no worries, I kicked them skys out of my new project.
would be nice if there was a wiki page or some kind of help from the developers concerning how to get nice looking skys into the game via the Bagedit app! some times I get lucky, and my
sky will look pretty nice in game.. however it is really a hit miss issue with luck so far.

Here is some new ones I did within a weeks time.

Edit: meant skybox not sky dome... oh would rather have a sky dome for seamless integration!

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
Nah I do not find it that necessary at this point... but in the future I might do that. pretty sure I would perhaps. not sure we will just have to wait and see? lol nevermind me, have a headache today.. too much drinking last night I fear! :p