FlatOut Modding - Where should I start?

VajkLaszlo

New Member
Okay... So, actually, I would need help now.

I just want to change the Pepper's skin1 to skinai1 (to use it while I'm not the AI, just select skin1, which is the grey one), also I made a .bfs file with the skinai1 and skinai1_damaged (ofc I renamed them to skin1 and skin1_damaged), and call it "pepper_skin.bfs", and then call it in the filesytem.

I tried 2 versions:

Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs"
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs"
}

And then:

Archives =
{
[1] = "pepper_skin.bfs",
[2] = "common1.bfs",
[3] = "common2.bfs",
[4] = "europe.bfs"
}

No one worked. So the question is; HOW THE HELL CAN I OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL FILE?
 

TT

Member
Try a comma at the end of the [3] line in the first version.

Problems usually turn out to be something like that.

Edit: Just saw that you fixed it in the other thread.
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
VajkLaszlo, you was able get Flatout 1 to run under Win 10? Which version of Flatout 1 are you using?

Flat out 1 does not work on Windows 10

When it come to loaded modding files that are replacing stock files, be it FO1, FO2, UC or Wreckfest, Your modded file need to be loaded last be the game so it overwrite to stock file. Also have to have your modded file(s) in the correct folder structure so it will overwrite a stock file.

Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs"
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs"
}( hit the delete key at this spot, a couple of times before saving in Notepad )

This proper order of bfs files to load a modded skin, but you miss a couple of comas at line 3 and 4.


Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs",
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs",
}



Is your folder structure like this?

\data\cars\car_1\skin1.dds
\data\cars\car_1\skin1_damaged.dds
 

VajkLaszlo

New Member
TT said:
Try a comma at the end of the [3] line in the first version.

Problems usually turn out to be something like that.

Edit: Just saw that you fixed it in the other thread.
Yup, I will try it with FO too. :)

Purple44 said:
VajkLaszlo, you was able get Flatout 1 to run under Win 10? Which version of Flatout 1 are you using?

Flat out 1 does not work on Windows 10

When it come to loaded modding files that are replacing stock files, be it FO1, FO2, UC or Wreckfest, Your modded file need to be loaded last be the game so it overwrite to stock file. Also have to have your modded file(s) in the correct folder structure so it will overwrite a stock file.

Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs"
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs"
}( hit the delete key at this spot, a couple of times before saving in Notepad )

This proper order of bfs files to load a modded skin, but you miss a couple of comas at line 3 and 4.


Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs",
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs",
}



Is your folder structure like this?

\data\cars\car_1\skin1.dds
\data\cars\car_1\skin1_damaged.dds
Both FO running well on my W10 (1 and 2), I'm using the Steam version of both. Actually, I managed to Patch FO2 to 1.2, because Mod Manager didn't managed the default Steam version. On FO, I think I didn't downloaded any patches, but I could be not right. :-\

The structure is the same, I did it well on FO2. Maybe those commas was the problem. But a interesting fact, in FO I don't have a simple patch file, which load in the patch1.bfs, but in FO2 I do have. So in FO2 I don't have to edit the original filesystem.ini, only the patch file. Maybe that's why my work in FO didn't worked out well. :D

However, thanks for the tips! :) I'm going to mod FO2 from now, also FO, but not that much. I'm more friendly with FO2, and the Mod Manager also made me easier to mod the game.

EDIT - I did downloaded the 1.1 Patch for FO, and except the .exe I used it. But not the .exe, because if I would the game won't start. :/
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
VajkLaszlo said:
TT said:
Try a comma at the end of the [3] line in the first version.

Problems usually turn out to be something like that.

Edit: Just saw that you fixed it in the other thread.
Yup, I will try it with FO too. :)

Purple44 said:
VajkLaszlo, you was able get Flatout 1 to run under Win 10? Which version of Flatout 1 are you using?

Flat out 1 does not work on Windows 10

When it come to loaded modding files that are replacing stock files, be it FO1, FO2, UC or Wreckfest, Your modded file need to be loaded last be the game so it overwrite to stock file. Also have to have your modded file(s) in the correct folder structure so it will overwrite a stock file.

Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs"
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs"
}( hit the delete key at this spot, a couple of times before saving in Notepad )

This proper order of bfs files to load a modded skin, but you miss a couple of comas at line 3 and 4.


Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs",
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs",
}



Is your folder structure like this?

\data\cars\car_1\skin1.dds
\data\cars\car_1\skin1_damaged.dds
Both FO running well on my W10 (1 and 2), I'm using the Steam version of both. Actually, I managed to Patch FO2 to 1.2, because Mod Manager didn't managed the default Steam version. On FO, I think I didn't downloaded any patches, but I could be not right. :-\

The structure is the same, I did it well on FO2. Maybe those commas was the problem. But a interesting fact, in FO I don't have a simple patch file, which load in the patch1.bfs, but in FO2 I do have. So in FO2 I don't have to edit the original filesystem.ini, only the patch file. Maybe that's why my work in FO didn't worked out well. :D

However, thanks for the tips! :) I'm going to mod FO2 from now, also FO, but not that much. I'm more friendly with FO2, and the Mod Manager also made me easier to mod the game.

EDIT - I did downloaded the 1.1 Patch for FO, and except the .exe I used it. But not the .exe, because if I would the game won't start. :/
The Steam version of Flatout 2 is already patch to v1.2, does not need patching like Flatout 1.

Comas only needed in Flatout 1 system.ini and patch.ini files. No comas used in Flatout 2 :)

Purple44 said:
It was brought to my attention yesterday by hebgbs , that the Grave Digger has lost it big tires if use the PurplePack:



I got hold of Heddly and he got a patch to fix Grave Digger and the crash caused by the Chopped 55 missing a tire texture. Here download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4jkdzd0o4mi2zc4/PurplePack_Tire_Patch.rar

Use this patch now to load PuprlePack mod.

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs
PurplePack.bfs
PurplePack_Tire_Patch.bfs

In Flatout 2, the rules we followed when adding mods:

1. If adding safe mods like skins to the stock cars, I load them in the system.ini file:

fo2a.bfs
fo2c.bfs
megaskinpack.bfs
megaskinpackfinalpart2.bfs
megaskinpackfinalpart3.bfs
aiskinpack.bfs
hippie.bfs
FOJ's_Stock_Car_Camera's.bfs
Heddlys_FO2 Stock CustomCar_6_Pack.bfs


If you don't want to watch the in-game FO2 videos anymore, you can drop fo2b.bfs file from your system.ini file. Always list mod bfs files after the fo2*.bfs files.

If you were to go online with F02, you can not join a stock FO2 host if you using any modded files that are not "safe". With custom skins, I can still join a stock FO2 host. Flatout 1 did not check for modded files, but we were not suppose be taking FO1 online, but we found ways of doing it tapping into the LAN code. :D

Flatout 2 does an online check for modded files. If modded files found, you can only join a host that has the exact same modded files.

2. When adding modded files to Flatout 2, should use the patch.ini file to load modded bfs files after patch.bfs. And if using the FOJ community mod, need to load your custom modded bfs file after the 5 parts of FOJ community mod.

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs

FOJ_C_MOD_Carpack3_addon.bfs


Carpack 3 overwrites the carpack 1 cars.


I got over 300 different bfs files in my Flatout 2 folder. Flatout 2 will ignore all bfs files unless they are listed in the system.ini or patch.ini files.

VajkLaszlo said:
EDIT - I did downloaded the 1.1 Patch for FO, and except the .exe I used it. But not the .exe, because if I would the game won't start. :/
I believe the v1.1 exe that come with official patch will ask you for the CD, so need use a noCD v1.1 exe file. Like the one found in the Gold version of the FOv3 mod for FO1.
 

VajkLaszlo

New Member
Purple44 said:
VajkLaszlo said:
TT said:
Try a comma at the end of the [3] line in the first version.

Problems usually turn out to be something like that.

Edit: Just saw that you fixed it in the other thread.
Yup, I will try it with FO too. :)

Purple44 said:
VajkLaszlo, you was able get Flatout 1 to run under Win 10? Which version of Flatout 1 are you using?

Flat out 1 does not work on Windows 10

When it come to loaded modding files that are replacing stock files, be it FO1, FO2, UC or Wreckfest, Your modded file need to be loaded last be the game so it overwrite to stock file. Also have to have your modded file(s) in the correct folder structure so it will overwrite a stock file.

Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs"
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs"
}( hit the delete key at this spot, a couple of times before saving in Notepad )

This proper order of bfs files to load a modded skin, but you miss a couple of comas at line 3 and 4.


Archives =
{
[1] = "common1.bfs",
[2] = "common2.bfs",
[3] = "europe.bfs",
[4] = "pepper_skin.bfs",
}



Is your folder structure like this?

\data\cars\car_1\skin1.dds
\data\cars\car_1\skin1_damaged.dds
Both FO running well on my W10 (1 and 2), I'm using the Steam version of both. Actually, I managed to Patch FO2 to 1.2, because Mod Manager didn't managed the default Steam version. On FO, I think I didn't downloaded any patches, but I could be not right. :-\

The structure is the same, I did it well on FO2. Maybe those commas was the problem. But a interesting fact, in FO I don't have a simple patch file, which load in the patch1.bfs, but in FO2 I do have. So in FO2 I don't have to edit the original filesystem.ini, only the patch file. Maybe that's why my work in FO didn't worked out well. :D

However, thanks for the tips! :) I'm going to mod FO2 from now, also FO, but not that much. I'm more friendly with FO2, and the Mod Manager also made me easier to mod the game.

EDIT - I did downloaded the 1.1 Patch for FO, and except the .exe I used it. But not the .exe, because if I would the game won't start. :/
The Steam version of Flatout 2 is already patch to v1.2, does not need patching like Flatout 1.

Comas only needed in Flatout 1 system.ini and patch.ini files. No comas used in Flatout 2 :)

Purple44 said:
It was brought to my attention yesterday by hebgbs , that the Grave Digger has lost it big tires if use the PurplePack:



I got hold of Heddly and he got a patch to fix Grave Digger and the crash caused by the Chopped 55 missing a tire texture. Here download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4jkdzd0o4mi2zc4/PurplePack_Tire_Patch.rar

Use this patch now to load PuprlePack mod.

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs
PurplePack.bfs
PurplePack_Tire_Patch.bfs

In Flatout 2, the rules we followed when adding mods:

1. If adding safe mods like skins to the stock cars, I load them in the system.ini file:

fo2a.bfs
fo2c.bfs
megaskinpack.bfs
megaskinpackfinalpart2.bfs
megaskinpackfinalpart3.bfs
aiskinpack.bfs
hippie.bfs
FOJ's_Stock_Car_Camera's.bfs
Heddlys_FO2 Stock CustomCar_6_Pack.bfs


If you don't want to watch the in-game FO2 videos anymore, you can drop fo2b.bfs file from your system.ini file. Always list mod bfs files after the fo2*.bfs files.

If you were to go online with F02, you can not join a stock FO2 host if you using any modded files that are not "safe". With custom skins, I can still join a stock FO2 host. Flatout 1 did not check for modded files, but we were not suppose be taking FO1 online, but we found ways of doing it tapping into the LAN code. :D

Flatout 2 does an online check for modded files. If modded files found, you can only join a host that has the exact same modded files.

2. When adding modded files to Flatout 2, should use the patch.ini file to load modded bfs files after patch.bfs. And if using the FOJ community mod, need to load your custom modded bfs file after the 5 parts of FOJ community mod.

patch1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Trackpack1.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Carpack1.bfs
FOJs_Carpack2_and_updates.bfs
FOJs_Community_Mod_Updates2.bfs

FOJ_C_MOD_Carpack3_addon.bfs


Carpack 3 overwrites the carpack 1 cars.


I got over 300 different bfs files in my Flatout 2 folder. Flatout 2 will ignore all bfs files unless they are listed in the system.ini or patch.ini files.

VajkLaszlo said:
EDIT - I did downloaded the 1.1 Patch for FO, and except the .exe I used it. But not the .exe, because if I would the game won't start. :/
I believe the v1.1 exe that come with official patch will ask you for the CD, so need use a noCD v1.1 exe file. Like the one found in the Gold version of the FOv3 mod for FO1.
Well, thanks again all the infos! :)

Did you guys modified some default .bed files to get new slots for cars, or just make the right files for them?

For example: I make a new folder called car_46 (we know as default there's 45 car in the game), put them all the files what a car need (.bgm's, .dat, skin files etc...), and that's all? I could have that car after the truck?

Also, I downloaded and made all the FOJ mods work which I found on ModDB (with your pack too ;)), there's a car_46, so if I made a new car now and name it as car_46, make it to a new .bfs, and load it in the good way, it should replace the FOJ car_46 with mine, right?
 

TT

Member
There was another big mod project called MCO Mod.

There were many versions of it and different cars got added and subtracted all the time.

I don't know if any versions are still out there.

It was all old muscle cars.
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
VajkLaszlo said:
Well, thanks again all the infos! :)

Did you guys modified some default .bed files to get new slots for cars, or just make the right files for them?

For example: I make a new folder called car_46 (we know as default there's 45 car in the game), put them all the files what a car need (.bgm's, .dat, skin files etc...), and that's all? I could have that car after the truck?

Also, I downloaded and made all the FOJ mods work which I found on ModDB (with your pack too ;)), there's a car_46, so if I made a new car now and name it as car_46, make it to a new .bfs, and load it in the good way, it should replace the FOJ car_46 with mine, right?
I'm not the guy to ask about the new car slots added to Flatout 2. Mur did the tweaking of the database file to add more car slots.

Yup make a new car_46 car with the right files and let it over right car 45. I would suggest you unpack carpack 3. I belive this mod just added new cars to the FOJ mod. Would give you an idea what files need to be tweaked, if there more files what in the car slot folder.

Maybe Heddly will stop by and post some tips about adding new custom cars to the FOJ mod?


http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/addons

Heddly has added a lot of great cars to Flatout 2. The gokart and Willies pickup are 2 my favorites. :D
 

Purple44

Well-Known Member
Team Bugbear Member
TT said:
There was another big mod project called MCO Mod.

There were many versions of it and different cars got added and subtracted all the time.

I don't know if any versions are still out there.

It was all old muscle cars.
The MCO mod was around before we got Flatout Joint started. They had some nice muscle cars and some older cars in their mod. Heddly did a mod to add the MCO custom cars to the FOv3 mod. :)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/foj-community-mod/downloads/mco-mod-fov3-addon


 

Heddly

FOJ Supporter/Modder
Team Bugbear Member
Hello VajkLaszlo,
Sorry for the late reply, I have BugBear forum set to notify me of new topics or posts but have noticed that it does not always work. If you have anything I can be of help with, just ask and I will answer as time allows. Glad to see you are a FlatOut fan like me. 8)
 
Top