FPS drops, very random. Happens on both Intel and AMD cpus

Retro_Kiwi

I have had this issue for a while, its very random some days better than others.
Affecting my main PC rig:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
GTX 1080
RAM 16GB
and Lenovo Laptop:
Intel i5 10300H
RTX 2060m
RAM 8GB

Things I have tried:
  • Made Nvidia settings default
  • Disabled Shadows
  • Putting my GTX 1080 on default clock speeds
  • Deleting the account folder under "userdata" (account number 228380

Would anyone have any ideas on what I should test to find the culprit and how to do it? (I'm concerned that the reason the laptop is having the same issue is because it used the steam cloud but not sure)

Kind Regards

Retro

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Is the laptop using the 2060m dedicated video card? Wreckfest not good at finding dedicated video cards on laptops.

Purple44;2619338771813913269 said:
Need to make a game profile:

Purple44;1779387671062313518 said:
The m970 should handle Wreckfest with medium to high graphic settings and maybe MSAA 2x. Maybe get 40-60 FPS. depending on the track.

But you may have do this trick to get Wreckfest to see your laptop's m970:

MY PRIMARY DISPLAY ADAPTER IS NOT DETECTED BY THE GAME!
Most likely you need to create a profile for the game in the display adapter settings and make sure the profile is set to use the primary display adapter. If you're using NVIDIA Optimus, create a new profile in the NVIDIA Control Panel under 3D Settings/Manage 3D Settings for the game, and make sure that 'High-Performance NVIDIA processor' is selected as the preferred graphics processor in Program Settings. For AMD users, the process is pretty much the same. Furthermore, if your laptop has an on-board switch for selecting between Stamina and Speed modes, make sure that Speed is selected; the primary display adapter is available only in the Speed mode.
Can go to Wreckfest launch options and type in: -setup

This bring up WF setup window when you go to start Wreckfest. Can see what GPU Wreckfest is using.

Retro_Kiwi

Yes the Laptop 2060m is being used. Nvidia profile has been made and its default no changes.

What other things could I check?

Kind Regards

Retro

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Well, it normal for there be FPS drops running Wreckfest and seeing FPS drop on the track, depending what direction your car is looking. With my i7 8700 and 1060 6GB vram, most tracks I get 100-150 FPS. But Midwest - Motorcenter, my worse track, FPS are 70-90 FPS.

As long as my FPS are staying above 60 FPS, I don't worry about FPS bouncing around. Now if FPS taking a big hit and dropping to the 40s, then might need do soem tweaking of graphic settings. That i5 Cpu might struggle a bit with ultra graphic settings. Wreckfest like a fast single thread CPU and all the vram it can get.

Retro_Kiwi

The FPS drops about 40 fps or more which makes it feel like it freezes for half a second. (Both Main PC and Laptop)

I will try both on low setting but it seems unfair how the main pc has the CPU power and GPU power (VRAM 8GB) to handle a game like this.

Kind Regards

Retro

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Also give 32 bit version a try. May stop the FPS drops, but may not look as pretty.

Retro_Kiwi

So I tried 32 bit and after playing for 30 minutes the same issue arose.

Where do we go from here?

Kind Regards

Retro

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
This happen on both computers?

If restart Wreckfest when this start to happen, does it go away for another 30 mins?

Retro_Kiwi

Yeah, it happens on both computers.

It's very random but I have tried restarting Wreckfest on both PCs but sometimes its 30 mins or even on the first race (5 mins).

Kind Regards

Retro

Retro_Kiwi

Hi Purple,

Is there anything else I could try?

I think it could be a corrupt file(s) and the reason its happening on the laptop is that steam cloud copies the data across when it syncs.

Kind Regards

Retro

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
The Steam Cloud files are just the save files, save in a different folder:

If a save file goes bad, Wreckfest will not load at all. But guess it be worth checking to make sure, disable Steam Cloud on one your computers and see if random FPS drop stop.

Also if you have not verified Wreckfest files, would be worth trying:

Could also try this link, will do a search for: fps drops Over at Wrfeckfest Steam forum. Read through the threads, maybe see something to try?

Retro_Kiwi

Hi Purple,

I removed the game from the computer after what you have suggested but no luck.

I did get a crash and have the file for it but I think its encrypted.

I got the similar fps drops before it happened so maybe the file can explain what happened.

Would you be able to have a look?

Kind Regards

Retro