Freezing in multiplayer lobby

Malice

As per title, when waiting for the start of a match in multiplayer, the game will randomly become unresponsive with a frozen screen. This typically lasts 15-25 seconds and is totally unpredictable. It does not coincide with players joining or leaving the server. It happens to other players but not at the same time. I can watch in real time other players who are frozen, their ping time counts up to 20-25 seconds before they unfreeze. If a freeze happens near the start of the match then they will be stationary at the start line until they unfreeze, on a full 24 player server the freezes are frequent enough that there are usually at least one or two players who are still frozen at the start of the race.

This only happens in the multiplayer lobby, the race itself runs smoothly without even any stutter, the freezing happens in the multiplayer lobby and only in the multiplayer lobby except as noted below.

I can't find any obvious cause or reliable way to reproduce it, it seems to happen entirely randomly. The only clues I can give are as follows:
  • Occasionally in single player when scrolling between cars in the garage, there will be a similar freeze. This freeze is much shorter lasting only about 5 seconds.
  • The frequency of the freezes seems to correlate loosely with the number of players in the server. With only 5 players plus bots in a server, freezes will not happen very often. In a full 24 player server they will happen almost every round.
I have tried running the game at 1440p with maximum graphics settings, and also at 720p with all minimum graphics settings, and did not see any difference to the freezing behavior. I've kept an eye on VRAM usage and never seen it go over about 4.5GB on an RX 5700 8GB.

winblood

I'm having this exact issue. Today it made the game timeout and disconnect from the server every time I tried. So I went and changed the Windowed mode to Fullscreen. Still having the issue but won't make the server timeout. My system is a Ryzen 3600 with an RX 5600 XT. I had the same issue with an RX 580 4 GB. Only happens in the multiplayer lobby. My friend has an Nvidia card and he does not experience the issue. Seems to be AMD GPU related.

Da_Obst

I too have this issue and it seems to get worse every time I try to play in MP.
As soon as the timer hits ~30s the MP-Lobby freezes for 30-45 seconds and sometimes I find myself in the Race, but most of the times I get kicked from the Server with a "Connection Lost" message.
Yesterday I tried to play on a server and within ~90 minutes I only managed to play one Race. A friend of mine also has the 3900X but owns a 2080Ti. He doesn't have any issues, so I too think that this problem could be related to AMD GPUs.
Pretty much every other game I own runs just fine. No crashes, no stuttering, no freezing. I also tried to remove the OC Profiles from my RAM and GPU which didn't change anything.
Singleplayer runs just fine, only the Upgrade und Tuning Menus are a bit buggy.

unpredictable1

I'm also having this problem. The game plays well on my machine, but this problem has gotten so frequent I don't bother playing. (since I pretty much only do online/multiplayer)

If I get through 1 multiplayer map, I can spectate if I DNF or if I do finish I still have no problem, but then waiting in the lobby as we ready for the next map - I'll notice the race countdown in the lobby hangs and that's when i know I'll see "Lost Connection to Server" in the next moment or so. I can have Task Manager running on my second monitor, and I'll see Wreckfest status change to Not Responding.

My network is fine, still using voice and video through discord as I always did with this game. I've uninstalled and reinstalled through Steam - same issue. Network shows rock solid every time this decides to not respond/timeout. I used to play for hours on this machine in it's current configuration, nothing is overclocked on my PC.

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, MSI x570 MPG Gaming, 32 GB Patriot ram, logitech m2 1TB, Radeon 8GB 5700XT MECH OC. Latest BIOS and all recommended drivers for my devices/components.

Wreckfest was running on this PC on the same network connection, same internet service, nothing in the household changed.

Please help!

Da_Obst

I just want to add that I installed the new Patch yesterday and was able to play in MP again.
The freezes in the MP-Lobby are a bit less frequent now and shorter with 10-20s.
So I managed to play for ~3h without getting kicked out of the lobby. :)
Whatever this patch changed - You're heading in the right direction. :D

unpredictable1

I got all excited, installed this update, it was ok for a few games and now right back to where it was...to the point I don't bother firing it up.

Megaboost

After the latest patch, the game launches a lot quicker now but as for the Lobby freezing for a long time, it was ok for about 4 races and then it seemed to go back to freezing again, allbeit not as long as before but still frustrating.

RedBull

I confirm the same issues after switching to RX 5700 XT last year. Before this, i had the GTX 1070 and never had such issues. Seems to be AMD related, I also reported it to AMD a few months back but i'm not sure they even checked it out. I'll add a few examples below, it would be cool if bugbear can check it out since it is annoying and frequent. You even get kicked from some servers because of this. Never seen this type of behavior in any other game.

Latest patch, latest AMD (non-beta) graphics driver.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Over at Wreckfest Discord: bug-report channel: https://discord.gg/N5jjXmG

Some the guys been talking with Bugbear Dev Janne about this issue with AMD and pausing online in the lobby. Give that channel a read, maybe give your 2 cents worth.

RedgyBenz

Not only in multiplayer is the game freezing it is also happening when you customize your cars at the garage
it happens to me many, many, many times...

Malice

So it's been five months since I posted this, multiple others having the same issue, and still not even acknowledged by bugbear. No request for more information, nothing. Just completely ignored. What even is the point of this forum?

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
So it's been five months since I posted this, multiple others having the same issue, and still not even acknowledged by bugbear. No request for more information, nothing. Just completely ignored. What even is the point of this forum?
I take it you did not visit Wreckfest Discord channel? Janne been talking to a few players having this issue and posted this:

Purple44;2283834583171542037 said:
This what Janne said in WF Disord Thursday, May 28:

jannesBBYesterday at 3:25 AM
We have been very busy with preparations for the new tournament season but we did ran a short test and while the results are not conclusive we did notice some short freezes.
Need to do more testing, though.

It good to see you guys got Bugbear attention now, but with the Tournament mode first season finishing up this week. Bugbear Devs busy getting the game ready for the next season.

Maybe next week, Bugbear can get back to doing more testing?

Malice

So what is the point of this forum if it gets completely ignored? There is no link here to discord. There is no post saying, "hey don't bother posting here, you will be ignored, go to discord."

This is the official bug report forum. Really terrible way to treat customers. You would think someone could have taken five seconds to type a sentence at some point during the last five months but no.

"we have been very busy" oh cry me a river

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Since THQ put up the Wreckfest Discord channel, it has become the place where Bugbear Devs hangout the most and a THQ Dev.

Between 2012 and 2019( before Discord and the forum going dark for 8 months in 2019 ), this forum was the place Bugbear Devs hanged out.

But you do make a good point about why there no thread with a link to the Wreckfest Discord channel. The Steam WF forum has a pinned thread. So I sent off a PM to see if we can get a pinned Discord thread here in Bugbear forum.

There is a lot of Bugbear history here and posts on how the community help shape the making of the Next Car Game\ Wreckfest. :)

And us modders got our threads here too. :)

Malice

Yes I have been a member since 2013, but if bugbear are not going to read their own bug report forum it should be closed.

HtHNightwolf

Purple44 said:
We have been very busy with preparations for the new tournament season but we did ran a short test and while the results are not conclusive we did notice some short freezes.
Need to do more testing, though.

It good to see you guys got Bugbear attention now, but with the Tournament mode first season finishing up this week. Bugbear Devs busy getting the game ready for the next season.
Nightwolf here, exact same problem. AMD Radeon 5700 XT with always the latest AMD drivers. The freezes have been there since the end of 2019 and got worse during the next months, up to a point where I have them almost after every race, especially when whoosing cars. It freezes so long, I do not have time to choose or tune cars properly if the server has less time than 90 seconds until the next race (15-20 second freezes).

If find it super sad aswell, that this forum exists but is "the wrong place" to wait for feedback. Fine, I will check out Discord. But as long as an official fix for this is being delivered through Steam, that will do me nothing good anyway.

Further I find it disturbing that Jannes calls it "notice some short freezes". A short freeze is not 15-20 seconds, that is quite long!

And how can it be that new features like a Tournament mode are more important than fixing a clearly annoying, game-ruining bug for thousands of AMD players?
Please rearrange these priorities.

I payed good mooney via Steam (no Key Store) and have been playing ever since Early Access. Plus I hold tournaments of this game on dozends of LAN-Parties and this way motivated at least ~20 people to buy this game to participate. So I expect a bit more than waiting for a fix for a 5 months old bug freezing the game, occasionally dropping out players out of the Multiplayer Lobby because Tournament mode can give me Fame seems more important.

https://gybralanre.de/index.php?mod=tournament2&action=details&tournamentid=30

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Nightwolf, have you tried running Wreckfest in 32-bit mode? Seen posts that it helps with the freezing.

Bugbear does need to dig into this issue and try and get a fix.

HtHNightwolf

Nightwolf, have you tried running Wreckfest in 32-bit mode? Seen posts that it helps with the freezing.

Bugbear does need to dig into this issue and try and get a fix.
Heyas and thanks for the quick reply.
I have not but will try and report back to you.