GRID 2

John Burning

Create, destroy and dominate!
Team Bugbear Member
Oh yeah! GRID is the best game about racing EVER! I'm talking about the atmosphere of racing, of show and other things that i really love in racing! :D

Grid is the racer I've liked the best since Project Gotham Racing on the original Xbox, so yeah, this is welcome. Doesn't look like there's much (or anything) new, but it's been so long since the previous one I probably won't mind.

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
I am looking forward to it, as GRID was Codemaster's best racing game since CMR4 IMO.

I'm also hoping they don't do what Codemasters do with all their other racing games:

a) Having some patronizing idiot telling me to upload my highlights to YouTube at the end of every race. I don't want to and it's not 'rad' or 'awesome' so leave me alone, patronizing man.

b) Cram it full of DLC, making me feel like I got ripped off paying $59 because I don't get all the extra stuff that I can see almost on every second screen of the game, but have to pay more for.

c) Have a bunch of patronizing idiots telling me how cool my racing is, what a cool guy I am for levelling up every 3 minutes and not allowing me to skip aforementioned patronizing idiots speech and get on with the game!!

If they can avoid a,b and c ... or at least two of them ... and not break the physics from the original game, I would probably really like it!

;D

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
I'm disappointed in the new GRID 2 since Codemasters says they are dropping derby racing. The second most popular tournament online behind Touring car tournament.

Codies say you got DIRT Showdown, but Showdown fails as a replacement to GRID derby racing. Here a repost from thread I started over in GRID 2 forum:

http://community.codemasters.com/t5/GRID-2-General-Discussion/Can-you-believe-it-no-online-derby-racing-in-GRID-2/td-p/17072

Showdown figure 8 racing is no where near GRID derby racing online!!!! Takes 10-12 players to have a rip roaring good time in GRID derby racing. Showdown only has 8 players or less!!!! Need to have 8 or 12 lap races. Showdown only has 5 laps and can not change the lap count!!!! In GRID you can wreck your car in a derby race, race is over, no first place for you. :smileyhappy: In Showdown, if wreck car, you respawn in a new car :smileysurprised:, that not derby racing!!!!

Final point, you can't have a rip roaring good time in a GRID derby race online unless you have some good wreckers to make it a challenge to win a race. No reverse racing in showdown!!!! So where is GRID derby racing in DIRT Showdown?????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have spent 4 hours at a time derby racing with GRID and working up a sweat. You take away derby racing from GRID 2, were the wreckers going to go? If you get a wrecker in a GRID 2 race now, you can't tell him to go DD in a derby race instead.

If Codemasters had done DIRT Showdown right, then Codies could make this argument. But seem the devs at Codemasters never did any GRID derby racing online to see what made GRID derby racing special. Derby racing is the second most pick tournament after touring cars online.

Codemasters screwed up their attempt at making a demolition\figure 8 racing game. So the Flatout\GRID derby racing fans are still looking for a good demo derby\figure 8 racing game with at least 12 players online since Codemasters turn off the online servers for PC and PS3 versions of GRID.

There money to be had for the developer who does it right. But get it wrong and game will be dead like Showdown is now online.

Also GRID missing in-car view which is raising a big stink with a lot of players and no word\video yet if there will be any touring car races. The most popular tournament online with GRID 1. It look like Codemasters is prone to shoot themselves in the foot again!

Anguish

No offense, but I'm pretty sure nobody in this world other than you people would care THAT much about that derby mode. Drift mode is the most popular thing here.

Also I consider the lack of cockpit cam a 'great sacrifice' for performance. Would help ppl with subpar PCs like us to get anything par or higher than 30 FPS.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
I love drifting but in GRID 1 it started to be boring because in online people always voted only for freestyle drift and I could very rarely race!

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Ya, I would rather drift race online on a track like this one ( forgot the name of track ) than do the freestyle:

M

Mopower

Dominatrix said:
No offense, but I'm pretty sure nobody in this world other than you people would care THAT much about that derby mode. Drift mode is the most popular thing here.

Also I consider the lack of cockpit cam a 'great sacrifice' for performance. Would help ppl with subpar PCs like us to get anything par or higher than 30 FPS.
I realize this is a very late post, but I have to say that derby is a huge priority for many people. If you've looked at the most recent posts in the mystery project and other places in the forum, you'll find a great interest in it from 25-50% of the players or more.

Also, cockpit cam is a must have in racing games nowadays IMHO. Makes for the best playing.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
I never use cockpit camera in any game.. It blocks the vision too much. In most of the games I go with 3rd person view and in some games where I need precision I use bumper or hood view.

M

Mopower

RacerBest said:
I never use cockpit camera in any game.. It blocks the vision too much. In most of the games I go with 3rd person view and in some games where I need precision I use bumper or hood view.
I see Racer, so you don't like the view because your driving is poor while using it. I guess everyone has things that they are better at, but I don't see how a driver's cam could affect the performance of people's computers who don't even use the driver cam.

M

Mopower

Okay, so i just wanted to clear something up. Grid never had demolition derbies in it. It probably never will. I nearly bought the game until I learned that what people thought were demolition derbies were just figure 8 and loop races. I just wanted to put that out there.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
You can turn a GRID derby race online into a last man standing derby. Could do this with the AI too, I guess. But ya, there is no derby mode in GRID.

We were asking Codies to give us derbys in GRID 2, but instead Codemasters drop derby racing and gave us the failed DIRT Showdown that does not have a last man standing mode ( true derby mode ) and only 8 players only. :(

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Codemasters allow reviewers to release some more info about GRID this Thursday, Feb 14.

I started a couple of threads about some the stuff I found with Google:

WHere th new game details promise for today, Feb 14?

The Many Modes of GRID 2

And if you want to know about the pre-order bonuses for GRID 2 and how Codemasters maybe screwing it up, give these two threads a read:

Release date, pre-order info and more! ( Will the GRID 2 you get on release day, be 100% of the game or only 90%? )

What up with these "Exclusive Online Event" in the pre-order bonuses?

Here a pic posted by Loore today:

AltS7

Weeked Smasher
Judging from gameplays, Codemasters got wrong direction. Envirornment (especially the one from night race) & cars looks good but handling dissapoints a lot. It's too much simplified that reminds Sleeping Dogs or Burnout Paraidse. Don't get me wrong, I really like the handling of these games but that arcade style simply doesn't fit to GRiD\DiRT because there must be feeling that you drive the car, not some Mario's kart.

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
The first GRID had horrible wheel support. I couldn't play it with my DFGT, it just didn't feel good. In game like this the wheel support should be great. Even TDU2 which is meant for pure arcade, has so good wheel support that I couldn't play it with PS3 controller anymore after trying it with DFGT. The wheel made the driving so much more precise in it.
I hope the wheel support is good this time.

Also drifting mode is confirmed! :) But we have only seen 2 Japanese cars which are S15 and R34. Hoping to see AE86 Sprinter Trueno (liftback model). 8)

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
AltS7 said:
Judging from gameplays, Codemasters got wrong direction. Envirornment (especially the one from night race) & cars looks good but handling dissapoints a lot. It's too much simplified that reminds Sleeping Dogs or Burnout Paraidse. Don't get me wrong, I really like the handling of these games but that arcade style simply doesn't fit to GRiD\DiRT because there must be feeling that you drive the car, not some Mario's kart.
Codemasters need to release a demo come late April so we can try this TrueFeel handling for ourselves. From what I have read and heard in the this video, GRID 2 Preview part 1 ( listen to Dev at the 3:00 mark ), TrueFeel will be some where between all assists ON and all assists OFF.

In GRID 1, I did career mode and online for first few months with assists OFF. Then got tried of players passing me and only getting around 4th place if I was lucky. ( faster ebay cars online did play a part in that :p ) and finally gave in to racing online with all assists ON and finding me a good 165mph\264kph Ebay Lacetti.

Some the PC players online did not know about finding faster ebay cars with better grip. If not for the ebay GRID forum thread that got started, I would not of learn about it either. But thanks to our ebay thread, Codies disable the ebay car online ( ebay cars still work offline ) with the v1.3 patch, so all players race with the same spec car online. Making the races fairer online. Let your skill win the race, not win race just because your car faster than the other 11 players. If I remember right, the consoles never got the v1.3 patch that the PC got in Oct, 2009. It was a long wait for this patch.

After hours of buying,selling and testing ebay cars, you could find that 166mph Lacetti. I was not up to spending that much time to find the best ebay Lacetti, so I settled for a 165mph\264kph Ebay Lacetti that I found after about an hour or 2 of testing. Did any of you guys use an ebay Lacetti? Did you do the SPA test up the hill to see if you had found a good ebay car?

To do the SPA ebay car test, you needed to back up your car to the barriers and start car from a standing start ( all assists ON ) and up the hill to the first chicane to see if speed is faster than what got if bought a brand new car, not an ebay car.

Can't do this test with other AI cars near by, since you will draft the AI cars and get a false test. Is your ebay car faster or faster because of drafting an AI car?

Codemasters says there will be upgrades in GRID 2. I don't know yet if these upgrades are just for looks, different tire rims, spoilers, body kits or will these upgrades make your car go faster. If upgrades make the cars faster, I hope Codemasters remember what happen with ebay cars online with GRID 1 and will disable any upgrades that make a car faster online!!!!