Making of Flatout 1

Purple44 said:
We were unsuccessful in modding the terrain file ( track_geom.w32 ) in Flatout 1 & 2 and thanks to Pav and GulBroz, we got track editors that let use move and copy objects that are on the track.

And we were able to make new startpoints, splitpoints and spline points for our new tracks and derby pits.
Wow, good job on the editor!

psychicparrot said:
How about AI pathing? Did you add AI waypoints in Maya, or was there some kind of cool AI editor tool for Flatout?
In Flatout 1 we added AI splines in 3ds Max. We had three splines to control: Left and right border lines that AI would try to avoid crossing and optimal driving line that AI tries to follow. So it was fairly simple. On Flatout 2 we had in-game editor for AI and we could see AI drivers change their driving lines in realtime according to our tweaks. I'll write more about our in-game editors in "Making of Flatout 2" later on.

Here's an example of AI splines in Flatout 1:

Shot 7.

err

I tried to teach AI to drive on reverse or self made tracks but i never was successful. Line they can keep , but didn't find a way how to tell them when to brake, what speed to use, etc.

One example:

*click to see bigger picture ;)

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
I'm really looking forward to "Making of Flatout 2" :) ... thanks, Jukka! It's fantastic to see /read behind the scenes stuff about my favourite games!

Nokikana

Weeked Smasher
Hello everyone! I'm from Finland too! I found this forum yesterday by Flatout Joint. My favourite racing game is for sure Flatout! Hey, BugBear, should i speak finnish for you or english? I love your games! I hope that next Flatout-style game would be released. Nice shots you're got from map making. Many games in 2004 didn't have that detailed enviroments or cars. As John and Parrot said, Fo2 and FO:UC pics would be awesome! ;D

GulBroz

Master Blaster
Nokikana said:
Hey, BugBear, should i speak finnish for you or english?
I think you should stay in english, so that everybody here can understand you - else only the two of you will have fun... ;)

Heddly

FOJ Supporter/Modder
Team Bugbear Member
This is a video of a track I thought of called FlatOut 2 City Central Crazy8 for FlatOut 2. Purple44 was a big help with the minimap and ai . I think other tracks like this would be great, double reverse figure 8.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Heddly said:
This is a video of a track I thought of called FlatOut 2 City Central Crazy8 for FlatOut 2. Purple44 was a big help with the minimap and ai . I think other tracks like this would be great, double reverse figure 8.
That a fun track to race online. I like the two way traffic on the stairs. :)

Nokikana

Weeked Smasher
Hey! I was on a vacation. What for the god's sake happened to Flatout Joint??? On every Foj page it says page forbidden! What happened??

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Nokikana said:
Hey! I was on a vacation. What for the god's sake happened to Flatout Joint??? On every Foj page it says page forbidden! What happened??
I just got home from work and check out FOJ and seem to be working find at my end.

Just saw Lindsaylohan log into FOJ! :eek:

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
Just completed FlatOut on PC and saw the pictures at the credits.. Very nice to see beta pictures of the game.

By the way why you didn't add the Volkswagen Beetle buggy lookalike car and interior view. I remember seeing picture of the Beetle in finnish gaming magazine "Pelit" before release of the game. ;D

And has anyone noticed that the car in main menu has the looks of Trasher, but with added supercharger and it is named Blocker there. ;)

psychicparrot

I would have liked a Beetle (in any format) in Flatout, too.. I've owned two Beetles and I love playing them in games.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
I did not see any Beetle in my custom cars for flatout 1. But there 2 Beetles ( old one and new one ) that were made for Flatout 2.

psychicparrot

Thanks Purple! Herbie is always cool :)

I really need to play around and install a mod.. haven't tried it yet but I must say the things you guys have shown on this forum look amazing!

69Imperial

fuk tha mods #yolo #smdmajatek
Master Blaster
El-huge-o bump, but Purple44, he meant that there was an actual VW dune buggy in the beta version.
I swear I remember hearing something about there being wildlife in an early version of Flatout.

Nokikana

Weeked Smasher
RacerBest said:
Just completed FlatOut on PC and saw the pictures at the credits.. Very nice to see beta pictures of the game.

By the way why you didn't add the Volkswagen Beetle buggy lookalike car and interior view. I remember seeing picture of the Beetle in finnish gaming magazine "Pelit" before release of the game. ;D

And has anyone noticed that the car in main menu has the looks of Trasher, but with added supercharger and it is named Blocker there. ;)
I've seen that Buggy on Pelit magazine too, my friend. ;) In beta the cars seemed to have superchargers, cleaner paint jobs and different drivers & window damage textures.

ExxionNexxion

Team Bugbear Member
What happened to the original car 17 'Skull'?
I've found a few transmission files and assorted text files, along with an accidental picture of one of the custom cars I added being named 'Skull' in the race results section at the end of the race.