Mod Development Screenshots

Dalags

The Very End said:
Looks great Sam! Out of curiosity; is that one or the base materials from substance painter you have used and altered?
Meanwhile, progress report:
Looking really good! Great to see all the extra scenery being put in. Bridge is a cool feature, looking forward to seeing how you do the water areas.
Reminds me of the Flatout 1 maps, loved being able to explore the small urban areas on every track, was dissapointed you'd get reset every time in Flatout 2 whenever you went off course!

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Thanks! Well, even tho the small roads leading off the track does not lead to anything interesting, you should still be able to drive them. The AI paths are made so that you can go something like 20-30 meters off the road before red ring of doom happens. Should not be too much possibility to cut corners, as there are obstacles and heavy ditches on the outside to prevent anything gained from it - and even if you somehow manage to do it the risk involved is probably high.

Working on the AI paths now. If someone knows a way to bind the mouse movements to a spline, that would be quite something! Had to make these with freehand which tok some time...

Edit: Good news! Been testing with 24 AI's an higher graphics settings than what I normally use (ultra grass), and it does not seem to absolutely destroy the FPS! Sure, it's an impact but it is playable!
The AI needs work tho, as they can't do one corner correct haha!

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
This is great news Tor! and really good news for the middle rig users ie: i5 processor + 2 gb grafix ram cards lol! Really this looks like one of your best tracks to date! hope you get the ai line sorted out without too much hassle :)

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Doing last finish touches here and there before the release this weekend. Some (mediocre, but still) norwegian road signs created, and a small construction area. Should the white barriers be there or not btw? Can't deside what is best. On some roadwork sites they use it, others don't, so a bit unsure here in terms of that and gameplay wise.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
If I get force left, can I still drive through construction site and not miss a checkpoint?

Will there be a bump at transition from dirt to asphalt, so there a penalty if go left?

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Yeah, should of course not be missing anything when going left, think you can far out like 30 meters or something from track and still within the sector :)
It is a small elevation change, not much, to sort of fake-simluate that the tarmac has been peeled away, as well that the physics are gravel. In addition there are loaders and cars in the path, meaning it probably will be a lot slower / dangerous to go that route.
For a little nice touch those signs are at the start and end of the construction zone :D The track has a normal and reverse layout so all signs are placed in both directions.
Forgot to mention - the signs are moveable, so be nice to them.

XiCynx

The Very End said:
Yeah, should of course not be missing anything when going left, think you can far out like 30 meters or something from track and still within the sector :)
It is a small elevation change, not much, to sort of fake-simluate that the tarmac has been peeled away, as well that the physics are gravel. In addition there are loaders and cars in the path, meaning it probably will be a lot slower / dangerous to go that route.
For a little nice touch those signs are at the start and end of the construction zone :D The track has a normal and reverse layout so all signs are placed in both directions.
Forgot to mention - the signs are moveable, so be nice to them.
I have been so impressed with a lot of your tracks it has made me want to start giving it a go. I have 3DS Max, but when browsing your YouTube I noticed the guides you have a quite out of date and there is no talking during them. Do you think you may have some time in the future to stream or record your next map and just give us insight on exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it? I think it would really help get some people up off the ground who are wanting to give this a try. I've watched a few of Tads videos as well but I'd rather use the methods you have been showing vs what he does, just personal preference. Thanks in advance for your response!

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Thank you and agree, they are bad and out of date :) Should probably try to make new ones when I got time, with voice to explain what is going on. Also using different techniques now.

Dalags

I've got a dirt mound with a blend map on which appears fine in Max in the viewport and when rendered, but for some reason the ingame
mapping is messed up:

The vertices on the mesh are positioned to create some bumpyness to the mound, but none of the faces are overlapping and I'm just using the
standard top down planar mapping.
It's not too noticable, and could easily be hidden, but it would be nice to find out what's causing it.
Has anyone had this problem before?

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Hmm, could try adding an extra loop there, to reduce the distance to half (sometimes get pinched / streeched if not). Could also be an issue with the UV channel 2. When this happens to me I usually re-wrap and it solves the problem. Do you use any other method than planar wrapping the UV2 / blend channel?

Dalags

The Very End said:
Hmm, could try adding an extra loop there, to reduce the distance to half (sometimes get pinched / streeched if not). Could also be an issue with the UV channel 2. When this happens to me I usually re-wrap and it solves the problem. Do you use any other method than planar wrapping the UV2 / blend channel?
I've tried adding in extra loops and cutting the geometry, but the triangles still appear messed in the same places.
I'm just applying a UVW mapping modifier, chosing planar, ensuring it fits etc, then duplicating it for UV channel 2 - same method I've used before and has worked for previous projects.

sam223 said:
Triangulate faces before exporting should fix it.
Triangulating the mesh didn't fix it either.

I've also found it's appearing elsewhere on the mesh too, really confusing.
I've tried clearing the UV mapping, collapsing the modifier stack, resetting xform, removing all elevation, changing the direction of the triangles- no luck yet.

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
What about vertices? Not anyone of those polygons that has more than 4 points? Also try to uv reset all channels / uv channels (under channel info in the menu), might be something hugged which makes game use a other channel than what you see in max.

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Trying to stay true to the theme, thus I thought the pit area of Michigan would be better off with these sort of nascar-lookalike pit boxes rather than folkrace tents (in true DD2 colortheme). pitboxes.jpgpitboxes.jpg

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Since Bugbear forum was down, I did not get post screenshots of 2 new Fig8 tracks I work on this year.

Extreme Fig8, I merge Sandpit 1 and End's Dakar trackmaps:

Red-Bone Spiral Fi8, my first track merge. Bonebreaker Valley and End' Red Pike. Zeb suggested I do a spiral track. :)

Nitronik

weEEEew
Hello everyone,
I've been working on sketching out some cars for a mod I'd like to experiment with.

Safe to say it is... unconventional :)

The topology should allow it to deform rather nicely once it is set up and ready for import - have yet to figure out how that works - I've also split off as many parts as possible for all your debris needs.

sillyfest_wagon.jpgsillyfest_wagon_internals.jpg

Looking to make some matching tracks to go with it, later down the line.