PC: Fall Update now available!

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member

Howdy fellas,

The weather's getting colder at least in our parts of the world, but in the cockpit it's getting warmer and warmer, if not downright hot. We're happy to let you know that the latest update of the game is out and, and we have a surprise for you: among other goodies the update brings you not only one, but two new tracks!

The first track, Drytown Desert, is a more technical, rallycross style romp that features great rolling flow as well as a couple of cool underpasses and definitely takes some proper skill to master. Then if you're more into wrecking stuff, fret not since the other new track, Rockfield Roughspot, is a rundown dirt speedway that began its life in The Very Track Pack by the ever so prolific content creator Tor Ole but now has banked corners as well as some bumps and jumps thrown in for a good measure. In the heat of the racing, this track can definitely make you feel like you're between a rock and a hard place!

And of course, that's not all. The update also features some much-requested features such as Steam Cloud support and Steam Achievements and a whole host of other neat improvements such as improved offline and online performance, third damage mode, user interface improvements and so on. Be sure to check below for the complete list of changes with comments, update your game and start wrecking!

CONTENT
  • Added two new tracks: Drytown Desert and Rockfield Roughspot.
ENGINE
  • Optimized loading times.
  • Added Steam Achievements. Except for "Rocketeer" (Reach 210 Km/h (130 Mph) With Rocket), already achieved ones will unlock retrospectively upon launching the game.
  • Added support for Steam Cloud. Note that the game's save data is now located in "Documents\My Games\wreckfest" (old save data will be copied over in the first-time launch).
  • Improved mesh particle culling, improving framerate especially in events featuring large vehicles.
  • Glow particles no longer appear completely white.
GAMEPLAY
  • Added a third damage mode that some have been requesting: "Intense". This is same as the "Realistic" mode with which the console versions launched, in other words, "Realistic" with attacker's advantage enabled.
  • Added an AI Set for Limo.
  • Added Big Rig and Limo to the "Special Mix" AI Set.
  • Increased Wingman strength.
  • Reduced Limo strength slightly.
  • Taking the loop on "Deathloop" no longer causes damage to the car.
  • Improved Honey Pot panel damage so that panels get detached correctly.
  • Wheels no longer clip the fenders of Venom as easily.
  • Wheels no longer clip the fenders of Outlaw as easily.
  • Lawnmower and other small vehicles are no longer invincible against small to medium nudges.
  • Improved AI raceline on various tracks.

INTERFACE
  • Added improved iconography to the garage user interface.
  • Added new, unique icons for armor and visual upgrade parts.
  • Added upgrade tier icons for performance parts.
  • In career heat races, event specific loading screen is now displayed also between the heats.
  • In custom events, the correct AI Set is now displayed after changing the vehicle.
  • HUD can no longer appear in the main menu after being disconnected from an online session.
  • Health bar no longer appears full when the player has 1 health point left.

MULTIPLAYER
  • Improved local car prediction precision to reduce input lag.
  • Increased maximum allowed prediction time for remote cars to reduce warping with high latency.
  • In lobby, the server name no longer overlaps the track name at the top.
  • Lobby options are no longer incorrectly grayed out in case the user is in the Tune screen when a track change occurs.
  • Idling during an online event no longer results in the player being kicked from the server.
  • Added back the "Add Bot" button to lobby.

AUDIO
  • Collision effects are more crunchy now.

MODDING
  • In-game modding tools now work again.
  • Modifying minimap settings (bag filetype "mise") no longer trickers anti-tamper protection.

Last edited:

Puutarhatonttu

Fatal error: Could not open file for writing: save/settings.conf

"Added support for Steam Cloud. Note that the game's save data is now located in "Documents/My Games/wreckfest" (old save data will be copied over in the first-time launch)."

Well I think that didn't work... Can I do it manually, and how? I really don't want to uninstall and install again and lose my save AGAIN.

F!nsku

[SNW]
Full time wrecker
No need to reinstall the game. Just go to your Steam folder (Steam\userdata\<your steam id>\228380\local\wreckfest) and remade your "settings.conf" to other, for example "settings.conf-backup". You can also move it into other folder (like on Desktop).

dmaxdieselguuy

"Added support for Steam Cloud. Note that the game's save data is now located in "Documents/My Games/wreckfest" (old save data will be copied over in the first-time launch)."

Well I think that didn't work... Can I do it manually, and how? I really don't want to uninstall and install again and lose my save AGAIN.
Did you happen to figure how to get it to work?

EmDzei

Thanks for the new tracks! I like this new Rockfield Roughspot oval track a lot. Usually I do not base much on ovals, but this one is delicious. The Drytown Desert track is also great and thank you in particular for the curves not spoiled with red and white concrete spreads. What are they called..

Puutarhatonttu

No need to reinstall the game. Just go to your Steam folder (Steam\userdata\<your steam id>\228380\local\wreckfest) and remade your "settings.conf" to other, for example "settings.conf-backup". You can also move it into other folder (like on Desktop).
Tried that now, and it didn't work. Still same error. Also tried to move them manually to new location in \documents\my games\ and made \wreckfest\ and made my id folder and copied everything from that \local\wreckfest... But didn't work either.

Grim_Reaper9980

This looks great! I love your guys game keep up the great work. Also to me the fix for taking damage in the death loop I feel like shouldn’t stay. If you don’t want to rip your car apart or do internal damage than you should take the alternate path! Also I liked watching the armor get stripped off and flexing the car the angle of the ramp

Grim_Reaper9980

Also it’s probably easier said than done but I feel like crossplay would give this game a big boost. Bring everyone together to smash, crash and craw their way to the dub

F!nsku

[SNW]
Full time wrecker
Tried that now, and it didn't work. Still same error. Also tried to move them manually to new location in \documents\my games\ and made \wreckfest\ and made my id folder and copied everything from that \local\wreckfest... But didn't work either.
Looks like this is a different case than what Wreckfest had before the Fall Update. So this method may not work.
On Discord BB said they're looking up the issue, no ETA yet.

timmy76

Full time wrecker
For console can we have hold brake for reverse as an option, because with manual im having to click through every gear to find reverse which tends to cause my thumb to ache after a while.
With the Outlaw having that weird short shifting glitch it means I won't use automatic

Sierra Hotel

Same error for me, I've tried deleting / renaming the file, nothing's working (also repairing the game in Steam etc).

Puutarhatonttu

OK, now I got it to work. Problem was maybe in writing permissions in my end.

This is how I managed it to work:

1. Go to C:\Users\YOUR OWN FOLDER NAME\Documents\My Games
2. Create wreckfest -folder
3. Create your steamid -folder
(look here your own unique id: https://steamidfinder.com/lookup/). Use steamID64 numbers to rename new folder. For example 76561198001274468 to folder name.
4. Structure should be now for example C:\Users\YOUR OWN FOLDER NAME\Documents\My Games\wreckfest\76561198001274468\
5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOUR STEAM ID\228380\local\wreckfest
(Your steam id could be like 41008740)
6. Copy everything from there (I'm not sure it's necessary but it worked)
7. Paste it all to that new folder you created in step 3.
7.5 Paste it all too to new folder to desktop as backup if something goes wrong.
8. Start the game
9. Game starts normally or errors that it can't create backup folder like backup_252065.
10. Go to that step 3 folder and create folder with that name game wants.
11. Copy following files from main folder:
- assists.aids
- career.cres
- cars5.ccrs
- modlist.mods
- playerinventory2.usli
- records.ercs
- settings.conf
- settings.sets
12. Paste them to that new backup folder
(for example backup_252065)
13. Start the game and it should work.

TH8

Although I am not much into 'Multiplayer', prefer 'Single Player' I have been thoroughly enjoying the online Multiplayer experience in Wreckfest once I have found the right 'Lobby' to join...keep up the great work.

TH8

AUDIO
  • Collision effects are more crunchy now.
Audio for the collision effects are fantastic, but some of the car engine sounds need improving (personal opinion)...'Roadslayer' engine audio is fantastic...'Wingman' not so much, needs deeper notes, as do possibly all the cars.
Wreckfest in my opinion has great Graphics / Car Physics / FFB on my TSXW Racer Wheel, superb Tracks / online Multiplayer, fantastic collision Audio but some of the car engine sounds are to synthetic sounding....only my personal opinion.

Last edited:

o T00L o

I can agree with the audio being off a bit, expecially in surround sound. I run 5.1 home theater, and the vehicles approaching from the rear get much louder than the vehicles beside me, even in 1st person mode. The overall audio itself seems low even with the master volume at 100. Just minor gripes, but I need this to be my "go to" game for destruction, and so far, with little tweaks here and there, we are achieving it. Thanks for putting this together for us fans! IMG_b7353a80-089d-42b4-9fec-780d90456802.png

Reactions: TH8