Slippery offroad

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
This mod makes offroad surfaces more slippery, so it's more wise to keep on the road. Too bad there were couple surfaces that aren't categorized as offroad as I've reported in here http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,9724.msg94993.html#new

This is more like a feedback mod for BugBear but I also liked to share it here if anyone is interested. It's a very simple change in the tire physics surface properties.

In my opinion the surfaces that aren't part of the actual track should be more slippery and harder to drive than the track surface.

Steam Workshop download

Direct download:
v3

v1
v2

Showing how my Slippery offroad mod behaves. Getting some nice roll overs if you go too fast and sideways. Naturally if you try to avoid that happening, it won't happen.

The sand in Tarmac 3 (and grass in Speedway 2) flips you way more easier compared to other surfaces.

sam223

Weeked Smasher
Good stuff Jimmy. Im not 100% sure if its possible, but you might be able to assign a surface to a scene via bag edit by finding the correct object. If you wanted to fix them all anyway.

blazngun

Jimmy you could include the surfacelist.srfl file in your mod and have way more options to work with by editing each surface.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
sam223 said:
Good stuff Jimmy. Im not 100% sure if its possible, but you might be able to assign a surface to a scene via bag edit by finding the correct object. If you wanted to fix them all anyway.
Ah yeah the surfacelist.srfl file... For some reason it took me a freaking long time to find that one. Default surface uses tarmac dynamics and I guess those two are using the default one. Let's see if it breaks any other surface. Otherwise the bug can only be fixed in 3DS Max or Blender.

/Lol and at the same time blazngun had that also in mind XD

//Seems to be that default surface used tarmac dynamics and those two are using default. Changing default to use default dynamics didn't break any normal racing surface. I'll fix this tomorrow and tune some properties more. No wonder the grass is so good shortcut in the speedway...

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
OK now they are added. I also made that you can flip over if you have high speed and go sideways on offroad.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
I added a video so check the OP if you want to see the behavior of the mod. It's mostly showing how easily the cars rollover.

Small tweaks made today:

v3
- Removed files that I didn't change
- Tweaked default dynamics
- Tweaked viscosity values

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Nice :) How do you make the cars roll over like they do in the gravel? Looks good.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
The Very End said:
Nice :) How do you make the cars roll over like they do in the gravel? Looks good.
Viscous force and Max viscous force. They're located in .vpdp file (data\vehicle\shared\physics\tiredynamics\). They're 0 by default. You likely don't want to add that on a normal racing surface because it makes tires bounce and we know what that can do for the gameplay :p But I haven't really tested how much it actually affects jumps.

For any other surface than the "yellow" sand in Tarmac 3 and green grass in Speedway 2. So forest, offroad, offroad_sand and slowdown files:
Viscous force 0.07
Max viscous force 1.22

For those two mentioned above I made them more hazard. They've also more slow down because they're the biggest places to cut so that's another reason the value is bit more on those. it's the default file:
Viscous force 0.1
Max viscous force 3

Daystar

Gone in 60 seconds!
I have seen some really amazing flips while playing with your mod! it is truly a blast to keep this mod activated for me. it's very fun to bump the AI guys into grassy and non tarmac areas! also it is a challenge for my self to keep my car under control when I do sometimes cheat (cut). My main cars setup up is all wheel drive, with LSD. and I find when I do get off the course my back end will get loose which is a really cool effect! I can actually drift a bit with the slippery offroad mod enabled, and I love that! Freakin awesome mod indeed :D

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
I experimented with the viscous stuff on gravel surface. The interesting and bad thing is that soft suspension is actually much worse than stiff on a bumpy road that the viscous effect makes. That's why I'd need to change the suspensions of every car to get somewhat realistic effect.
I'll save that kind of a project later because I believe there are still a lot changes coming and that stuff is more vulnerable for small changes. Preferably every car would have their own dynamics.