St. Damage

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
This mod changes the damage, health and deform system. It's very different from current approach. This is also bit of a feedback for BB how I feel the damage system should be.

Deforming should be closer to the old days, but you shouldn't see very ridiculous deforming because the damage system should kill you before that. Can't naturally say how this behaves in multiplayer.
You loose health only when your sector is busted and you're hit in it. When you've lost a sector, you're very vulnerable to die from a small hit in it.
Big hits kills your sector easily, so don't go 120km/h straight to the wall, because after that you don't need much of a push to die!
Windows shouldn't crack easily. It should be rare, but can still happen sometimes. You need some effort to get it broken.

Have fun and please give feedback if you feel something isn't right.

Steam Workshop download:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753629592

Direct download:
v7
https://mega.nz/#!Ul1mibAJ!mUGMO951EKo6UyyFdmVNxUXcDh-q2ySYGZ_WPNqjMBk

Earlier versions
v1 https://mega.nz/#!swVhRYAL!zH65Mq_AHhUrS2FT1L0Q-0QiLuxbYCcxD-Ujob-kf8o
v2 https://mega.nz/#!hgNk1T7b!P28CAUGGjOI25I5fO948dY9dB9Z_D-8O4KvLh3TiIbY
v3 https://mega.nz/#!t0szTYoQ!v0QQFLmsSvwNLxQLgNki75_XALDnikYynnlvgm2mDsU
v4 https://mega.nz/#!g1FUCbaL!d8Z9-phsqmhksP54ZqiSYp2BU5xCfUh7DB3EN3II7pw
v5 https://mega.nz/#!ZkF1FY7R!L2Hb6za0LuABUoYjIv8msxJjBV1MW56vz7zu_RMWQh4
v6 https://mega.nz/#!ZkUm3IyT!0T_VUqv1NaRXvGI-aWM5psQqryOyFS2dTQYuaIs3hCw

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Little update:

v2
- Made Americans bit more durable
- Removed that it's much easier to loose health and die when sector is half damaged. It's now almost the same as when sector fully healthy.
- When sector is dead you now need bit more momentum to make bigger damage

Now dead sector should matter more and half damaged is around the same level as fully damaged. There's only a very small multiplier when you get more damaged.

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
I will test this when I get some time, probally in the weekend.
Does this affect the deformation, and how it reacts on jumps? (If this has been answered before, sorry, skim-reading from studies here :) )

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Ah yeah I probably need to clear that.
No this doesn't have effect on deform. This only affects the sector and HP system as how much cars handle those.

So with this you die earlier and you won't likely see so ridiculous deforming, because the system kills you more early.

// Haven't actually tried if some jumps like in your mod make the cars die too easy. It will likely have some effect on it.

I'll maybe play around with tires coming off easier later on. Haven't found any good balance on that.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
I made a complete overhaul of the system. I also touched the deformation so cars deform more like they did before.

v3

Completely overhauled the system!

- Now you only loose health if your sector is critically damaged. So beware that part of your car because you die almost instantly from small hits.
- Deform is now more aggressive like in the old days
- Sector damage should follow the deforming quite well
- Sides are still the weakest points of cars ;)
- Hitter now takes more damage (was 35%, now 70%)
- Windows don't crack and break so easily. You really need some effort to crack/break it!

In the next version I'll touch the tire damage/detach, because with current values those don't come off unless you're very lucky.

Oh and btw this shouldn't really have too much of an effect on jumps anymore. It's now pretty mayhem with mod like Destruction Derby :D

Combined with the Destruction Derby mod.

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Interesting, will try out this weekend :D But to get it right, when a sector is damaged, will you lose shield when hit regardless of where you were hit, or must you be hit on the damaged sector part to reduce shield?

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
The Very End said:
Interesting, will try out this weekend :D But to get it right, when a sector is damaged, will you lose shield when hit regardless of where you were hit, or must you be hit on the damaged sector part to reduce shield?
You need to be hit in the damaged sector. For example you can still be fully effective if you've front end totally broken but you still have OK rear.
I also just noticed that i accidentally forgot the Durability loss per driven Km to 0, so parts don't get damaged from driving races. I'll hotfix it.

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Great stuff, that really is awesome and should help with jumps :) Will test later.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
The Very End said:
Great stuff, that really is awesome and should help with jumps :) Will test later.
Yeah the cars don't really take any more damage in the sectors as they do now normally. Except if you land the jump totally wrong and start to bounce more then the sectors naturally take damage. In this you just don't loose any HP unless you've black part that hits the ground.

Also hotfixed and added very minor tweaks.

//Another video just for fun

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Good stuff. Before I test, care to make a version where cars last about same time as original, or more, but with your new settings? Love the idea of health bar dropping when sector is black, just got the sectors to last a bit longer then - or shield :)

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
The Very End said:
Good stuff. Before I test, care to make a version where cars last about same time as original, or more, but with your new settings? Love the idea of health bar dropping when sector is black, just got the sectors to last a bit longer then - or shield :)
You want the deforming be the same as in this mod or you want the current deforming but just that the health starts to drop only when you've black sector? With this mod deforming there wouldn't really be anything left from the cars if you want to make them last as long :D How the cars currently last impacts and how much they can deform before they die currently is so far off what I've set in this mod.

Disabling health dropping until there's black sector from the current vanilla build is pretty easily made. I actually tried it once and the cars pretty much lasted until two tires had dropped :D

I need more information what needs to last as long as currently?

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
Oh, I just thought that since you said the cars did not last long now, that would render them a bit fragile. But if it is close to original values it might work... Hmm, what happens if you do jumps with black sectors and lands on wheels?

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
They lose health pretty easily then. At least for now I've made that black sector means death pretty much. In figure 8 you need to take the jump very carefully to not loose any health.

The Very End

Weeked Smasher
Master Blaster
So how would we go about increasing health when sector is black? Even if it means funny looking car hehe

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
The Very End said:
So how would we go about increasing health when sector is black? Even if it means funny looking car hehe
Lower the amount of damage taken from smaller momentum, lowering the sector dmg to hitpoint damage multiplier and increasing the max hit points. The first one is global on every car, the last two are per car.

The first one is in damage.dset file, the Momentum To HP Damage (Sector 0%) graph.
Max Hitpoints and Sector Dmg To Hit Point Dmg are found in the damage_sectors.dmsd file in every car.

Need to remember that around 10000 momentum is roughly 120km/h for Euro 1 car, but that's only 60km/h for bigger Americans.

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
New update v4:

- Critical damage (red health bar) starts as soon as you loose health
- Tires come off easier
- Smaller cars bit more durable
- Changed hitters damage from 70% -> 60%

St. Jimmy

Finland
Full time wrecker
Little update v5:

- Made the mod compatible with the new version of the game.
- The cars likely deform bit less than before from smaller impact, but bigger impact can deform bit more.

Update v6

- I forgot the new American 4 banger version and couple minor tweaks, so now they're there