Super long bootup time

DD-Indeed

Dirty Deed Indeed
Been a while since I was here, nice new forums.

Anyway, to the point. I've reported about this issue couple times already on Steam Discussions, but it's propably vanished into the masses, so I wanted to say about it over here.
I've had this problem for a long time with the game that when I start it up, it takes well over a minute before it loads to main menu. I've tried everything, reinstalled the game multiple times, installed it on different drives, deleted cache and settings folders, tried different settings (keeping the grass disabled, since it's known to cause long load times), tried the mods disabled-startup selection, unsubbed from all mods that I had through Steam Workshop.

I've narrowed the issue down to one possibility: CPU core usage. I have 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, which are known to have weaker single core performance than Intel's counterparts. I monitored the CPU usage on the game startup, and it seemed that the game only used one core from six, and it didn't utilize it that much, approx 30-40 % usage only. And, I suspect that it takes so long time, because it has to unpack the main content packages on each startup.

Does the game engine support these modern Ryzen-CPU's (since it's been written back in 2014/2015, when those were not released yet) ?

Could it be possible to have tool or solution, which would be used to unpack the main packages beforehand to have faster loading times ?

I have nothing like this with any other modern game, which also have massive packages, which are unpacked into memory on startup.

Specs:

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
GPU - GTX 1070
RAM - G.Skill TridentZ DDR4, 3000 MHz, 2x8 Gb
Hard Drive - Samsung Evo 850 250 Gb SSD + Samsung QVO 860 1 Tb SSD
OS - Win 10 x64

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
With the next update, first loading of Wreckfest should go a little faster:

Janne posted this March 19 over at WF Discord: Dev channel -

jannesBBToday at 3:56 AM
"257371: Optimized utf8 conversions, improving initial loading speed."
In our testing, we could observe an improvement of 1:17 > 1:02 on an SSD.

DD-Indeed

Dirty Deed Indeed
With the next update, first loading of Wreckfest should go a little faster:

Janne posted this March 19 over at WF Discord: Dev channel -

jannesBBToday at 3:56 AM
"257371: Optimized utf8 conversions, improving initial loading speed."
In our testing, we could observe an improvement of 1:17 > 1:02 on an SSD.
But that's still quite long, so it perhaps goes back to the engine's design, which was done before these multi-core CPU's came into market, so the engine perhaps can't benefit from multiple cores.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
My boot time is 1:30 with a fast i7 8700 and a WD Black 7200 performance hard drive.

DD-Indeed

Dirty Deed Indeed
My boot time is 1:30 with a fast i7 8700 and a WD Black 7200 performance hard drive.

Yea, and having SSD doesn't make it significantly faster, so something's not right. Like, GTA V takes approx 1.5-2 minutes to load story mode with HDD, and about 10-20 seconds with SSD. That's huge difference, which should be with this game too.

EmDzei

Same here: one minute and 30 seconds to main screen. Wreckfest installed on SSD.

Why it feels to take for ever? The loading screen fps is zero. If you Alt - Tab away and back, you see black screen and feel the game is crashed. I remember that early version had the piston animation. Now it is gone.

I have The Division 2 game too. Its loading time is very long too. So the Wreckfest is not the only one with huge loading time..

Last edited:

DD-Indeed

Dirty Deed Indeed
The game freezes for that whole time, but it's doing some backround work. That's why I'm suspecting that it unpacks the main pack files into RAM/GPU memory using CPU, and it doesn't support multicore CPU's. Which is why it's so slow, it only utilizes one core for that whole unpack process, while it would be significantly faster if it would utilize all or more cores.

Also, if the game happens to freeze during gameplay, it steals the API output screen completely, meaning that you basically have to trick out of it with adding second virtual desktop or logging out to kill it off. Very old fashioned way of doing things, usually modern games just float on top of everything else, but they do not ''steal'' the entire API output area for them only. Old games used to be like this, that when they froze up, you basically had to reboot entire computer.