Team6 thread

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
What? Is this thread for laughing at Team6's products?

I know one... I think you all know it too.

GoldenApe

Team Bugbear Member
Hmm, I find it hard to really slam those guys. Sure, their games aren't very good compared to the Dirts, old Flatouts and Need for Speeds we all know and love, but they're just as passionate about making games as many of us are and that deserves appreciation. Of course, I will never forgive them for f*cking up the Flatout franchise, but to be honest most of the blame should go to the publisher. They simply employed the wrong team for the job. I mean, if a football coach brings a team of hockey players to the FIFA world cup, do you blame the hockey players for losing on the pitch? Or do you blame the coach for selecting the wrong team?
Team6 has their hearts are in the right place, I know for a fact many of them are massive Flatout fans, so they have good taste, just not good talent. And they know this, which is why they've never advertised their games as being AAA, and why we've never played them. But that doesn't mean they don't have the right to exist.
Simply acknowledge that you're not interested in Team6 games, just like you're not interested in buying the CD of that hobo guitar player on the corner of your street, and walk on.

(I know some people who worked at Team6, so I know they're good people)

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
OK. Here is what I think about Team6... hopefully this won't cause arguments!!

I've finished Flatout3 (!) and quite enjoyed it. It's nowhere near Flatout or RR, but it is still quite fun if you try to forget that it's the death of a really awesome franchise!

I was truly devastated when Flatout3 turned out to be a turkey, but you know what? If I'd paid $5 for it I'd be happy. The problem is that FO3 is being sold as a AAA game when it's clearly a budget title.

Maybe I'm more sympathetic because I've been working on my own racing game for over a year now and it's nowhere near a big title. For a one man game, I'm pleased with what I've managed to do and I really hope that people who buy my *budget* game will enjoy it - I enjoy playing it, so in terms of 'making a game I want to play' I've succeeded, which is the goal of pretty much any indie game developer! Anyway, I'm slipping away from the point.. I know how much work goes into these games and for a small team on a low budget, Flatout3 is quite cool... but it should have been a Bugbear title because they understand what makes the franchise work and can do amazing things with a game engine, car models and smashable scenery!!

I don't hate Team6 and I love the creativity that it takes to do what they do, regardless of whether or not it's a success.

The reason we all have such negative feelings toward them is because of what the publisher did to our Flatout series (which is unforgivable but no fault of Team6 I think) - I like that they love racing games as much as we do, even if they didn't yet manage to make a competitor for Flatout :)

That's what I think, anyway!
Cheers guys!

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Strategy First did not hire Team6, it the other way around. Zoo Games ended up with the rights to the Flatout name after Empire Interactive went belly up, stopping Bugbear from releasing their "Flatout on steriods" ( true Flatout 3 ) Bugbear was working on in 2008. Zoo Games ran into financial problems so Team6 had to look for a new publisher to finish Flatout5 ( Team6 working name for the new Flatout ), Strategy First. Strategy First was the one to name Flatout5 to Flatout 3.

Also some history how "Flatout 3" came about. Bugbear went quiet in 2008 after Empire Interactive went down. Stop answering emails. Least the ones I sent.

In October 06, 2010 I posted this. Keep in mind that it been over 2 years and not a word from Bugbear about working on any new game.

Want a new Flatout for the PC? If yes, then we need your help.

Purple44 said:
Want a new Flatout for the PC? If yes, then we need your help.

Shadow sent me a link to a new Flatout for the Wii that being work on by Team6:

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/10/1/news/77262/

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/5/4/news/74055/

After checking out these links, thought I should find out if there will be a PC version. I found out Team6 will need to get a green light form Zoo Games before they could get going on a new PC version of Flatout.

So this where we need the help of the Flatout community, please take the time to send an email to Zoo Games, asking Zoo Games to please give Team6 the green light to make a PC version of the new Flatout for the Wii. Here a link to contact page:

http://www.zoogamesinc.com/contact

Here link to some pics of new Flatout for the Wii:

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/10/1/news/77262/images/282383/

Edit: It been confirm that Team6 has gotten the OK from Zoo Games to make a better, bigger version of Flatout for the PC!! :)
In January 22, 2011, I posted edit that Team6 got the green light, then out of nowhere, February 05, 2011, Bugbear release trailer for the new Ridge Racer Unbounded they are working on. :eek:

BUGBEAR back from the dead!!!!

Here link to the Flatout Joint discuss thread of Flatout5.

Flatout5 discussion here:

We at FOJ were all happy that a game developer would engage with us as a game was being made. Wish all game devs would do this!

It was terrible luck that Team6 had to hookup with Strategy First and ruin the release of Flatout5. Strategy First would not give Team6 the OK for the Flatout community to help beta test FO5 and while FO5 was still being work on at the end of Nov ( I was in contact with Ronnie ), Strategy First announce "Flatout 3 would get relese Dec 13, 2012. "Flatout 3" turn out to be not ready at all for prime time release!!!!!!!! And Strategy First lie about them being the publisher of Flatout 1 & 2 in a video. Strategy First turn out to be a publisher from hell and ruin the release of a new Flatout.

Flatout5 was never going to be at the level of Ultimate Carnage since Team6 did not have Bugbear code. But I was only expecting FO2 level graphics and after turning off the motionblur effect, FO3 was looking OK.

Custom skins thanks to Heddly. ;D

"Flatout 3" had potential if Strategy First would of allow Team6 to let the Flatout community beta test FO3 for a month or two to get FO3 ready for prime time, before release. Instead Strategy First rush FO3 out before Christmas to make a quick buck.

Team6 deserve some credit. They bought some new ideas to the table, like the tornado in the ice lake derby and bringing the surprise of a train in some the races. Team6 took community suggestions and tried to add them to the game. They gave us plenty of options. Which is getting rare these days.

Here some Flatout 3 online derby action.

Derby was the one thing that was stable online. The racing still had issues even after some patches.

psychicparrot

Always look both ways before crossing the street.
Thanks for the info!

Damn shame for Team6, as they're the ones taking all the flack and looking like a bunch of muppets :(

RacerBest

Team Bugbear Member
I paid 35€ for Flatout 3... Not really worth it. And I have to play it on worse looking graphics than Flatout 1 has and I can play also FO UC on much better looking graphics. The graphic optimization is really bad.
And handling is just strange, it got maybe little better after release but still it feels strange.

KSFR

Bunnybear Says - Yappy happy whatever
Feel´t like Team6 wanted it to be really good, and like they worked very hard on it. I was hanging out at Foj during the time Fo5 was in dev... so thats my impression. I did know for all the time it would never be close to bugbears games.

If the game would have been released X-mas 2012 and not 2011 if think we would have had a decent game, maybe not a new flatout but something you could actually play :)

GoldenApe

Team Bugbear Member
I bought the Flatout collection on Steam the other day, it was an absolute bargain at 80% off, and it finally allowed me to play the notorious Team6 game. Now, I was starting the game with the idea that, as you can read in my previous post, the makers have been passionate about this game, so even though I wasn't expecting a very good game, I at least expected some of that passion to shine through. It didn't. At all. I can fill pages with stuff I've seen done wrong on even the most basic level in just the roughly 45 minutes I've managed to play the game before turning it off and taking a cold shower, but I won't. I just wanted to say I want to take back the positiveness I expressed in my previous post. Even after all the patches, this game really does deserve the 1/10 it got on Edge.

M

Mopower

psychicparrot said:
OK. Here is what I think about Team6... hopefully this won't cause arguments!!

I've finished Flatout3 (!) and quite enjoyed it. It's nowhere near Flatout or RR, but it is still quite fun if you try to forget that it's the death of a really awesome franchise!

I was truly devastated when Flatout3 turned out to be a turkey, but you know what? If I'd paid $5 for it I'd be happy. The problem is that FO3 is being sold as a AAA game when it's clearly a budget title.

Maybe I'm more sympathetic because I've been working on my own racing game for over a year now and it's nowhere near a big title. For a one man game, I'm pleased with what I've managed to do and I really hope that people who buy my *budget* game will enjoy it - I enjoy playing it, so in terms of 'making a game I want to play' I've succeeded, which is the goal of pretty much any indie game developer! Anyway, I'm slipping away from the point.. I know how much work goes into these games and for a small team on a low budget, Flatout3 is quite cool... but it should have been a Bugbear title because they understand what makes the franchise work and can do amazing things with a game engine, car models and smashable scenery!!

I don't hate Team6 and I love the creativity that it takes to do what they do, regardless of whether or not it's a success.

The reason we all have such negative feelings toward them is because of what the publisher did to our Flatout series (which is unforgivable but no fault of Team6 I think) - I like that they love racing games as much as we do, even if they didn't yet manage to make a competitor for Flatout :)

That's what I think, anyway!
Cheers guys!
You're making your own game? What the hell man, make a new thread for it and tell me all the details. I have just one question for now. That is, are there derbies in it? And if so, can I talk to you about it? :D

M

Mopower

Wow, that's really a shame. I didn't realize that team6 didn't have as much say in it as I figured. But at the same time, I can still say it was a bad game. I wouldn't have even had to play it if I would just watch videos online, I could've figured out for myself that it's a worthless game. Thanks for the info Purp.