The Stanley Parable

dbs213

Master Blaster
Now probably most of you like games with lots of action and mayhem yadda yadda yadda. Yeah I know, this isn't one of those games :p

But if you really want a change of pace, then I recommend it. Lots of witty dialogue and visual gags. Not to mention lots of endings and secrets to be unraveled. You're basically in an office with a narrator trying to explain the story as you move along, but you have the option to go against what he says. It's a game that totally messes with your mind.

There's a free demo that doesn't give you the first few minutes of the game but rather just a whiff of the setting and feel of the actual game itself.

http://www.stanleyparable.com/

Adenru

Full time wrecker
Buy it when it has 75% price cut or something, it' not worthy of full price.

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
I tried the mod, and as far as I know, the game is pretty much the same. 12 euros for less than 5 hours of gameplay aren't worth. Maybe when it's 75% off.

BenLind

It's a good idea but wasn't really enjoyable to play after the first couple of hours or so in my opinion. After that I was mostly just trying to get the different endings and not really knowing if there's a deeper level to it.

conso1727

From Italy
Full time wrecker
The Stanley Parable reminds me a bit of Antichamber, a mind-twisting puzzle game. It's worth it, if you find it on sale.

Eurotrash

Full time wrecker
Whoever made this, as well as the creators of Dear Esther and Beyond Two: Souls, might wanna look up "videoGAME" in the dictionary.

Just because it's a CGI doesn't make it a videogame damn it.

dbs213

Master Blaster
Eurotrash said:
Whoever made this, as well as the creators of Dear Esther and Beyond Two: Souls, might wanna look up "videoGAME" in the dictionary.

Just because it's a CGI doesn't make it a videogame damn it.
Video games in my opinion aren't just about cars, guns, explosions, dragons and whatever fancy stuff is being put into AAA titles. It's about the interactive experience, being able to interact with a virtual world.

That's basically what TSP is letting me do, interact with buttons and doors.

I'm thinking that maybe everyone here is under the impression that video games are about being able to run around linear maps and shoot enemies or race cars fender to fender, or maybe even slay a dragon or deny an alien attack.

But some people really like the idea of leaving those things behind and just listen to a story. Yeah call those kind of people boring but hey, no one's better than the other.

Personally I love story-driven exploration games and The Stanley Parable is no exception. It's witty and funny (just look at the achievements!), and also contains interesting things for a game developer like myself.

Usmovers_02

Full time wrecker
Dear Esther is an incredible experience. I haven't played Beyond because I don't have a PS3 but it looks amazing to me. I also own Proteus which is a great experience. These types of games don't have a big enough market to have their own platform so they kinda don't have any choice but to call themselves videogames.

conso1727 said:
The Stanley Parable reminds me a bit of Antichamber, a mind-twisting puzzle game. It's worth it, if you find it on sale.
Indeed, Anti-Chamber does mess with the players mind quite a bit. I don't know what the devs were smoking when they made the game but Good grief, it must've been some potent stuff. You want a frustrating and mind boggling game, then Anti-Chamber is the one to go for.

AltS7

Weeked Smasher
Very boring 'game'. I played 1:30 and don't want more. Why?
- There's no story, instead authors sometimes tells you their vision of things.
- Sometimes it's interesting to hear dev comments and WIP stuff but in oblivious endings? Come on, I'm not even fan of this game, why did they show me that?
- Sometimes it's funny but not enough
- I expected more unexpected things
- Boring environment most of the time. Office interiors, toilet interior, boss room interior... interior, ...corridor... interior...

Maybe it's little different but 'Dear Esther' is muuuch better. because of beautiful locations you can explore, excellent music & puzzle story. I find it really unique.